Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
The thing that's hard is that where I live now has a lot of economic opportunity, but it's a total misfit for my personality. It's a city filled to the brim with type-A's.
Are you in/near DC? Just curious, and I'm sorry if you stated it before and I missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
When I lived there as well as when I visit a few times per year - there was/is always impromptu gatherings & BBQ's - as well as drop ins. We also drive all over to see friends and attend events.

The beauty of Cali is that different people are into different things and it's all good.

I've heard that about the California coast. That along the Southern California coast, there are a lot of beaches that can be used 24/7, there are firepits and barbeques, and that the weather is right that you can enjoy the ocean year round. I haven't been there, but its on my list for places I want to see.

In the city of Chicago where I grew up, there were always impromptu gatherings. You wouldn't think that in the 3rd/4th largest city in the U.S., it would be like that, but there were always neighbors on their front porch you could stop by and talk with, families having a little get-together in their garage, while shooting hoops in the driveway... my neighbors in Illinois were always friendly, and there was always a good sense of community.

I'm talking about mainly south and southwest sides of the city and the older suburbs... not expensive neighborhoods, but neat and clean safe neighborhoods. People got along and really tried to be good to each other.

It's taken me quite a while to learn that not everyplace is like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues