Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Well I have been looking for metros that offer cheap large spaces, yes I'm of the painter variety, and Baltimore and Pawtucket/Providence keep popping up on radar for spaces. Of the New England area, I'd say RI is relatively cheap, so is Baltimore. Baltimore is full of young-starting-out artists types, or so I've heard, that may be for you.

You know, I admire writers, all they really need is a closet space, pen and paper or laptop - I just wish my talents would lend itself to it. However, I do get rather angsty and bitchy when I can't splatter some paint onto canvas, so to speak.

Anyways, good luck as I know it can be tough at times.
I'm in MD right now and at one time Balto was a artsy place but the last time I went there, there were whole blocks that were vacant. There are parts that are artsy but for the most part, I'd stay out of Balto now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 PM

126 posts, read 326,950 times
Come to Nashville..believe it or not it is a very cool and artsy town..Check out East Nashville..I feel your pain..I have friends who have relocated from all over and love it here..There are a lot of friendly and yes LIBERAL people here. Good luck on your search..BTW, I recently read that Nashville was rated one of the top cities to make a living..

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,631 times
Love Las Cruces, NM. College town, cheap, artsy, laid back. Good year round market. If you like hispanic food, all the better. Old Mesilla is the mother-ship of the local art crowd.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 PM

14 posts, read 30,467 times
Unhappy Know what you mean..

I know what you mean. I'm living on the East Coast too, although I was born and raised in the West. I long to go back to the West and have been looking at Northern California - Ukiah, and at various places in Oregon, and also at places like Bayfield and Pagosa Springs, CO. I am an artist and author and am trying to find a place close enough to the sort of stimulation that a creative person needs to avoid ending up an anchorite and yet not in the middle of a noisy city. I'm also vegetarian and patronize Organic markets as much as I can, so finding options can be tricky depending on where you live, unless you cook for yourself at all times. My belief system and politics causes me to hesitate at considering some parts of the country because I don't want to feel besieged all the time. What I find myself grappling with is whether I hate the humidity and the ghastly heat indexes in the summer more than I love being able to take the train to places like NYC and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, etc. And I just like to be able to hear the birds, see trees and the stars at night more than I like hearing the highway near our house.
(sigh)

Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Visit Ithaca

Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading this. I live in an East Coast city and am sick of it. Brutally hot summers, blizzardy winters: I'm through. I have family on the East Coast and a little bit in the Midwest. I'm introverted and am artistic (I write fiction). I like sun but not tons of humidity and definitely not hurricanes. I'm tired of the coldness of East Coasters' personalities - I'm looking for friendlier people. I've lived in college towns and in big cosmopolitan cities, and I prefer the former (can't afford the high cost of living of big cosmo cities anymore). I really don't want to move a billion miles away from family, so I'd like to stay closer to the East Coast if possible, but if you know of any great West Coast cities (the West Coast is where my heart is anyway), I'd be up for suggestions.

Anyone have any suggestions of where I can move that's inviting to artistic types? Thanks!
Check out Aripeka Fl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues