Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 PM

56 posts, read 185,174 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to NJ from FL with my boyfriend by May or June 2011. I will be graduating college in May with a Bachelor's Degree in Communication. I've been reading the forums here and a lot of people stress the importance of having a job secured before moving. But, I am completely confused how to go about getting a job in a different state before moving there. How do you do it? Wouldn't employers prefer locals to relocators? I don't have a narrow idea of what I would like to do just yet. I am open minded. If anyone has any advice, it would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Most employers take online cv's so just start emailing your CV to prospective employers (Radio/TV stations School boards,cruise lines,Disney etc)and keep an eye on online job sites such as =
Google

Are there no jobs in the area you are now in?
does the college you are attending have resources to help its students in their job search?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Apply, apply, apply!! You can do job searches online, or go old school and just send resume/cover letters by mail to employers that you want to work for (even if they don't have any jobs posted).

As far as being from out of state, make a point to write in your cover letter that you plan on moving after you finish school. Just don't expect the employer to pay any relocation cost. If you are a good enough candidate, employers will hire the best applicant. Your biggest problem will be competing with all the unemployed out there who may have more experience.

You have some time, but start now and make sure your resume/cover letter are excellent. Make it clear that you won't be available until May but that you already plan on moving. Be prepared to request initial phone interviews, possibly travel on your spring break to interview, ect. You have to put the effort in.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Well, apply online, but speaking from experience, I was never able to secure a job prior to arriving to my intended destination. And more than likely you won't either unless you work in a field that has a shortage of workers. What you need to do is buckle down and save save save. The vast majority of employers are not going to hire someone out of state when there are a plethora of applicants locally. It's less hassle, they can start immediately, they can interview them the very next day, etc. Even if your qualifications surpass those that are applying locally, they have no sure fire way of knowing you'll ever show up. I spent a year trying to secure a job prior to my move to Chicago. Several months prior to my move back to Dallas, and over a year when trying to move to California. I started getting phone interviews once I removed my address from my resume, but only to be hung up on, or told "look us up when you move here" once they found out that I was not actually living there yet. I'm not saying don't try, because you should, I'm saying you should prepare as if you will not be able to secure a job before moving. I know several people that went through the same thing I went through and simply had to save up, move, then arrived and nailed down a job once they got there.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 PM

86 posts, read 230,319 times
I want to move to Charlotte NC in Nov or Dec. 2011.....I was hoping where ever I am working now I can transfer to that city. To me, I think that's the best way to go.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues