Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:53 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times

Advertisements

I relocated to another country. I probably would have been scared if I had time to be. My entire life seemed to be moving at breakneck speed at that point.

You just do it. You have to take the leap of faith. All the visiting, reading about a place, that is no replacement for actually living there day in and day out. Rent first for a few months, then buy if you like it. If it turns out you don't, just break or run out the lease and go back.

Don't burn bridges behind you either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 06:11 PM

48 posts, read 212,553 times
I'm in the same predictament, I want to move to South Carolina and get out of the rustbelt. I'm about 3 yrs. away from retirement, my husband is already retired. I do mortgage lending for a living and have never had such a dismal yr as this past one. If the market continues like it has, all my retirement funds will be gone. I figure it's got to be better in So.Carolina, at least things are still moving there. This is where I would want to retire anyhow.

I went down to Aiken in Oct. and loved it. Thursday, my husband and I are leaving to show him the area and I have a job interview on Friday.

Yes, it's scary , but nothing ventured nothing gained and I'm no spring chicken so I do realize that if I don't do it now I might never get another chance before I die.

will let you all know how it goes

Old 12-04-2006, 07:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, I've come to realize that time is our greatest asset, yet I've spent the past three years in a constant mid life crisis.

I left a very good job in San Francisco, wanting to get out of the rat race. For three years I did a four hour commute each day, trying to get ahead. My house doubled and I decided to move to a place I do not like. I thought I could find a way to like it. It was a head decision. Now, I have a lovely home that is paid for in a very desirable neighborhood. Problem is, I don't connect with people here. I have not really even tried to get a life. I went from a career in banking to working in a domestic violence shelter. Thank God, my last day is tomorrow. I don't know what happens after that. I had planned to move back to CA or OR or even WA. CA is way expensive, so I probably cannot afford to own anything outright. I struggled with SAD growing up in MN, so I fear both OR and WA.

To complicate matters, I don't have any family or friends to speak of here, except for this guy I met nine months ago. Our relationship has been very rocky. He is now (maybe) realizing I may be gone, so maybe he'll come around. Ugh. All I am focusing on is my last day at work tomorrow. Then I want to regroup and find the courage somewhere inside to make another move, but I just don't know that I have it in me.

This is a great thread. Thanks. I support everyone who seeks to make their life better. Sillygal, I am 47, so I understand where you are coming from.

wow- movinon- I can relate. I got out of florida alive (lol), but am having my doubts. My husband wanted to be near his mother- who has breast cancer. I have no family and no kids. I am in a nice area- few bills - financially secure- (remember that song is that all there is) I am late 30's- and have had the epiphany that I am not really meant to stay here- it will put a strain on my marriage (dating at age 40-something- what a nightmare!) . Well I will be discussing this issue with my h. over xmas- hope everything works out for you- what areas are you looking at? I need more culture, a city like Boston or maybe Portland. What would you recommend?. I will have have my MS in Psychology- but at this point its not really about work anymore.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,807 times
now I'm 37 and wanting to move from nyc to ?????? I dont know where. born and raised in south philly.(loved it then/not now) I cant afford nyc anymore on a nurses salary. I'm torn between staying close to my family in philly or moving to AK, CO or NH........I am sooo torn and fearful. I am divorced and dont want to move to town alone BUT dont want to stay in NYC and dont know about PA. any kind words/wisdom would be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM

42 posts, read 148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnap04 View Post
now I'm 37 and wanting to move from nyc to ?????? I dont know where. born and raised in south philly.(loved it then/not now) I cant afford nyc anymore on a nurses salary. I'm torn between staying close to my family in philly or moving to AK, CO or NH........I am sooo torn and fearful. I am divorced and dont want to move to town alone BUT dont want to stay in NYC and dont know about PA. any kind words/wisdom would be appreciated.
NH is cheap! It's also so close to NYC that you could get there in a day's journey.

I find a lot of people have a wanderlust for out west, but have romanticized ideas about it, especially in regards to Alaska. Alaska is BORING BORING BORING unless you happen to be one of those "get on a dirt bike and climb a mountain and watch an eagle fly around for three hours." Same with NM, CO, WY, etc. Denver is an exception though and a nice place.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM

595 posts, read 2,343,493 times
Default Ugh

I got a job in New Orleans simply based on a phone interview.

Job pays more, it's perm..but they gave me 1 week to move (and I've always wanted to move to New Orleans).

Here I am 4 days from when I need to leave and I don't have anywhere to sleep in New Orleans (no relocation money).
I've accepted the job but I haven't told my current job.

And I'm scrying off and on because I cannot decide what to do. I have major cold feet, mostly because it's so fast and I get lonely easy...but at the same time it's a good opportunity, plus I really wanted to get involved with the area recovery.

This is REALLY hard. Harder than I could have thought.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:03 AM

143 posts, read 174,554 times
My advice for everyone....Just do it! If you don't, you will regret it and always wonder what would have been. If things don't work out then you can always move back at some point. Don't over-think it...Just do it!!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:41 AM

9 posts, read 13,569 times
Yeah I'm getting pretty scared for my move. In 15 days my roommate and I will drive across america with our cars and the little bit of clothes and stuff we can pack in them. Moving from South Carolina, to California. So going from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific. Leaving ALL friends and family behind besides the buddy making the move with me. Never been to Cali and I don't have any friends there. Just going for a fresh start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues