Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
you don't really have to say anything in your resignation, just that you regretfully inform them that whatever-date will be your last day there.
That's it exactly!

Quote:
[date]

Gentlemen,

Please be advised that I am terminating my employment effective two weeks from today's date.

Sincerely,

[signature]
Anything more than that will just open an opportunity for misinterpretation or ill will.

And don't be tempted to shorten the length of notice. Two weeks is generally the standard although some people might say one week is adequate. Giving no notice might be a big mistake unless you're sure it won't blow back at you, like if you're sure nobody will ever call the employer asking for a reference. Even in that case there's no point and nothing to gain by making enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Enjoyed reading this thread. Wish the OP well, and hope that she gives an update.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I would also jkeep it short saying you appreciated working with them . In short while you will find you and they move on.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM

67 posts, read 116,547 times
Ask for a 2 week leave and never return. Best thing to do. Otherwise they can ask you "why to wait 2 weeks, take your forever leaver right now" Life tought me something - do not trust your employer. NO MATTER WHAT

Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That's it exactly!

Anything more than that will just open an opportunity for misinterpretation or ill will.

And don't be tempted to shorten the length of notice. Two weeks is generally the standard although some people might say one week is adequate. Giving no notice might be a big mistake unless you're sure it won't blow back at you, like if you're sure nobody will ever call the employer asking for a reference. Even in that case there's no point and nothing to gain by making enemies.
Honestly? (Just my opinion...)

I wouldn't make it too short and sweet, because that would imply there's something to hide. A simple explanation is fine. My husband found work in another state, so we're relocating. End of story. It's the simple truth.
Also, a simple "thank you for ___ great years, and the opportunity to work for (name of company)."

And two weeks is fine. She was having a mental dilemma over the fact that she wanted to give them more time... but it turns out she couldn't. That's fine. She did what she could. They don't have to know any of that. She gave the standard proper time.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM

It's okay to state a short, simple reason as long as it's positive, i.e. definitely not "because I hate you people!" Even if that's the truth it would be bad form to put it in writing. The expression of gratitude is okay too, but again keep it short and sweet.

I've never heard of anybody giving more than two weeks, that's certainly not industry standard. Also, anybody giving notice should have a "plan B" ready in case the employer gets nasty and tells them to get out immediately. It does happen from time to time, particularly when the employee and management are not getting along well.

Three sentences should do it: (1) I'm leaving, and the date, (2) optional reason for leaving if it can be stated positively, and (3) optional expression of gratitude.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Do you have any sick/vacation/personal leave coming? Look into your company's policies, then play them to your advantage. some company's you can only take leave time in time off, not a lump sum upon termination. In that case, start calling in sick, or take a short vacation, etc, don't leave money on the table.

I've seen others do it, even after they turned in their resignation notice, then suddenly every other day was some crisis, they called in sick, etc.

Also, how long have you worked there? Are you close to vesting in any pension or 401K? make sure you don't leave a "day late and dollar short" I've seen people resign within a few months of vesting in plans, etc.

Look into your health benefits, can you carry them over? perhaps you don't need to with your dh new job, but do consider that.

With tendering a resignation, timing is everything. Look at all the financial angles, don't worry about the "feelings" Like others have said here, they will carry on! As soon as you're out the door they will forget you even existed, believe me. And insofar as giving them adequate notice, well, if an employer wants to get rid of you, you get about 5 min notice, when the security guard is standing there for you to clean out you desk! Why should you worry about them?

And doing like I suggest, maximizing your benefits by timing your resignation, well don't you think if a company wanted to get rid of you they'd have it all figured on their end? Your departure date would be all figured to maximize your financial impact on the company, before you even knew about it.

don't worry about the emotions of the situation, treat it as it is, a business and financial decision.

If you really miss some former co workers, arrange to go out to lunch or something after leaving............

Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why should you worry about them?
You should worry about alienating your employer and should avoid hostility if you expect that future employers may call your present employer for a reference. If you're sure nobody will ever call them for a reference then it's still good to not leave ill will behind but maybe no penalty attached.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM

21 posts, read 44,282 times
Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice. I'll definitely keep all of it in mind when I'm finally able to give notice. Unfortunately, I just learned today that there's a good chance the contract on our house may fall through.

Sigh. The saga continues...

Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc expat View Post
Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice. I'll definitely keep all of it in mind when I'm finally able to give notice. Unfortunately, I just learned today that there's a good chance the contract on our house may fall through.

Sigh. The saga continues...
Sadly, that'w what kept us in one place for a long time. My dh got a new job in another town, and moved on. He lived in an efficiency-type apt while we tried to sell the house. After almost a year we realized there simply weren't any buyers out there.

We resorted to renting out our home, while renting a house here. Despite what you might have heard about renters trashing your property, etc, its not always a bad decision. Get the right renter and you could be ok. First, don't just put up an ad in Krogers or on Craigs List, that's asking for disaster. Get a good property manager and pay him his fee, its worth it. After all, he's managing your biggest investment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues