Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 01:37 PM

48 posts, read 127,662 times

Advertisements

Happy New year all. Sorry for long post.
My wife and I are in need of any tryp of assistance program or suggestions of where we might turn for help. We currently reside in Denton Tx and are in danger of loosing our home. our life is circles at the moment. I lost my job in Mar 09 and can not find work here in Tx. In march I visited Seattle Wa. on job prospects, turns out that there are several jobs there in my field. ! By our lives in circles I mean this. I am in need of medical attention and can not get it without a job and benifits I cant find a job here but have several possibilities in Wa. I cant get to Wa. to accept the offer and get the medical due to expense in relocating, another circle, about to loose home here in Tx due to the above and have housing set in Wa. but also cant get there due to the expense in moving.
We are a couple in our mid 40's Who are trying to relocate to seattle to get back on our feet and and take advantage of the jobs offered there etc as well as obtain the job to get the medical attention needed as well.
We are in desperate need of any assistance program or ANYTHING OR ONE out there who might know of any help there is that would cover a relocation for a family in need. We are willing to drive ourselves as far as ex. uhaul or? we are about to loose EVERYTHING here in Texas and can not find the means to get to Wa. and get on our feet.
Does anyone know of anywhere we might turn or have any ideas how we could get moved ASAP... the situation has become URGENT !!!!!!!
please help !!!
Plese feel free to direct message me if there is any hope or ideas
thank you all
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM

556 posts, read 2,086,979 times
Stangboss - from your post it sounds as if it is only you and your wife, is that right? - with no children?

If so - and your life is at a place where nothing seems to be possible, because of the expense of this move - is there anything holding you back from having a big yard sale, sell everything you possibly can as far as belongings, and use those funds to get you and your wife and car to WA? Set aside enough cash to invest in a decent inflatable mattress that will easily stow in your trunk.......There are stores in WA - and once you get to your housing that is already waiting, with the first paycheck, you can visit some thrift stores and get a sofa, get a chair, get a tv, etc.....and start over - lots of people do this....by the time you pay for a u-haul, stress over packing, driving, pay for fuel, etc.....you have to ask yourself, are your current belongings so valuable, that this makes good sense?

These are 'things' - and we can all get bogged down by our things - as you see first hand - your 'things' are preventing you from pursuing a valid career.....it won't always be this way - but for now - you have to step back and ask yourself, 'why' do I want to move all these things?, when I can sell them at a yard sale, and start over when I arrive in WA.....the trip will be much less stressful, the fuel much more managable with the family car(s), and when you get there, all you have to do is get your suitcases and inflatable mattress 'unpacked'.....and then get busy rebuilding the stability in your life

Good luck to you!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
I agree. If you can't afford to ship your belongings, just sell them.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboss2k View Post
Happy New year all. Sorry for long post.
My wife and I are in need of any tryp of assistance program or suggestions of where we might turn for help. We currently reside in Denton Tx and are in danger of loosing our home. our life is circles at the moment. I lost my job in Mar 09 and can not find work here in Tx. In march I visited Seattle Wa. on job prospects, turns out that there are several jobs there in my field. ! By our lives in circles I mean this. I am in need of medical attention and can not get it without a job and benifits I cant find a job here but have several possibilities in Wa. I cant get to Wa. to accept the offer and get the medical due to expense in relocating, another circle, about to loose home here in Tx due to the above and have housing set in Wa. but also cant get there due to the expense in moving.
We are a couple in our mid 40's Who are trying to relocate to seattle to get back on our feet and and take advantage of the jobs offered there etc as well as obtain the job to get the medical attention needed as well.
We are in desperate need of any assistance program or ANYTHING OR ONE out there who might know of any help there is that would cover a relocation for a family in need. We are willing to drive ourselves as far as ex. uhaul or? we are about to loose EVERYTHING here in Texas and can not find the means to get to Wa. and get on our feet.
Does anyone know of anywhere we might turn or have any ideas how we could get moved ASAP... the situation has become URGENT !!!!!!!
please help !!!
Plese feel free to direct message me if there is any hope or ideas
thank you all
How are you covered for medical insurance now? If you don't have current coverage, your next employer based insurance may deny pre existing conditions for as long as 2 years. Are you carrying Cobra? an individual policy does NOT cover the requirement of continuous coverage---

You must maintain continuous group coverage with no gap in coverage greater than 63 days to qualify for continuous coverage under a new group plan.

If you're under an individual plan in your state, make sure its valid in WA before you move.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
A friend did this a long time ago--

he offered to drive someone's vehicle in exchange to using the vehicle to bring his stuff. I think they split the gas. How you find such a deal I have no idea. You might try posting on Craigs List under services something to the effect

will drive your vehicle TX--WA if I can use it for hauling my stuff. Will split gas.

You might get some responses.

Good luck, and do seriously consider the other suggestions here to ditch as much as you can. Just take the immediate needed stuff, clothes, etc. Do you have a friend or relative you could store some stuff until later? By ditching a lot of stuff you free yourself up for housing options in your new location. You will find new stuff quickly, there's always yard sales, thrift stores, etc, with very nice things, other people moving who couldn't take it with them.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Some companies will provide relocation assistance. I would suggest having a job commitment before moving, it costs a lot more to live here than in Texas. I don't know of any kind of assistance programs for helping people move and get a start in another city, in fact with the state budget cuts there is not much left in the way of assistance for anyone including the homeless here.

If you haven't already, check here for public agency jobs:

AWC JobNet - Search Jobs

Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 AM

71 posts, read 155,524 times
a yard sale will give you the money you need for moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues