Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM

56 posts, read 127,522 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Seattle area in May for a job. I'm in my late twenties, still single no kids to move. I think I have more stuff than the average single person though, full set of household goods, reasonably nice furniture, books, lots of electronics, two vehicles etc. Moving from Memphis, some costs will be reimbursed...cost isn't a huge concern anyway.

I'm debating and trying to decide between moving light and moving heavy.

Light: Fly there, bring a few suitcases along, UPS a few boxes, sell my car & truck, and rebuy everything locally.

Heavy: Use a Penske or other one-way rental truck, move everything, tow the car, ship the truck.

Anybody done both sorts of cross-country moves? What would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 AM

10 posts, read 27,890 times
I have done an international move once and we sold one car and shipped another and all our belongings. We did get red of some stuff like old TV, and old furniture. But In my opinion you should move heavy if you think the car/truck & houshold items are valuable. That is you've already invested so much money in them.

For example if you've paid off the loans on both the car & truck and they are in good shape then it's perhaps better to take them along with you so that when you arrive you do n't have to worry about buying (financiing) new cars or going through the headache of finding reliable cars. This also goes for the furniture/household items. If you spent alot of money on them then perhaps it's a good idea to do the same. otherwise you'll have to re-buy everything (which might cost more than the money you will get for selling them).

The only advantage i see from moving light is that you won't be dealing with the headache of packing and moving (shipping company). Or if your furniture (household) items are in such a bad shape that it is better to get red of them and start over again.

If I have good running cars (with no loans on them) and decent furniture I would go for the heavy move.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
If you're attached to anything so much you can't part with it, move it. If not, get rid of it. You can replace anything later. Moving from place to place in the military for twenty years you accumulate a lot of "stuff," and when you get out you get rid of it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmm View Post
I'm moving to the Seattle area in May for a job. I'm in my late twenties, still single no kids to move. I think I have more stuff than the average single person though, full set of household goods, reasonably nice furniture, books, lots of electronics, two vehicles etc. Moving from Memphis, some costs will be reimbursed...cost isn't a huge concern anyway.
If cost isn't any huge concern then throw away the stuff that would cost more to move than replace, throw away anything you don't think you'll need ever again, and move the rest. That's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

It's going to cost you money to sell stuff then buy new at the other end. At your age you should start saving money for retirement. That's why I say move it rather than sell/replace, which will cost money. Instead put the money you save in a retirement account.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,529 times
Are you sure you even have space for parking 2 cars in seattle? I think I would take what fits in the truck and sell the car and anything else. It should be a nice drive for you in May
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues