Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We All Move Now...Or Wait a Year?
Move End of this School Year (Summer 2011) 2 100.00%
Move End of Next School Year (Summer 2012) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times

Advertisements

Hello All....

DH just accepted a new job in a city about 4 hours away from our current city.

It is a good job, good pay and benefits, plus we really need it. (And you know how the job market is).

We have lived in that city before and it was not our favorite place, but it is not the worst place either.

The new job involves a good deal of overseas travel, so DH might be gone for 2 weeks at a time.

The 2 kids and I will stay in our current city through the current school year.

However, we can't decide if we should plan on staying in our current city one whole extra year for the following reasons:

1) We are concerned about our children, primarily our 8 year old, having to change schools. Our 8 year son has had to change schools twice in the last 2 years....we pulled him out of traditional school in the middle of last year, switched to a Montessori school, and then moved to the best Montessori school we could find. If we move at the end of this school year, he will have to change schools again. If we wait, he could finish out the cycle of the 3 year Montessori program, and then change schools.

Our 4 y.o. is in preschool and loves it; if we wait a year she would change schools at the start of Kindergarten. However, she is very gregarious and would have no trouble making new friends.

2) If we don't move right away, DH would have to pay extra to rent an apt. in the new city (the employer will cover a few months but not the year plus we would be looking at). The children would not see DH very often at all and I would in essence be a single mother. Also, I don't think this is a very good thing for our marriage.

3) We really love our current city. It is beautiful and we are 15 minutes to the beach.

4) The new city has slightly less expensive housing overall.

5) We have a little over one more year on our lease here....I don't know how hard it would be to break the lease or what kind of money we would be liable for. I would think the landlord could re-lease it easily but that is definitely a potential problem.

So the question is:
Should we move this summer?
Or wait a whole year and be apart a lot and move summer 2012?

Appreciate any perspective you can bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues