Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 PM

161 posts, read 387,446 times

Advertisements

Is a 26" moving truck enough to move a 4 bedroom house?

All our loose items will be in uniform size boxes (We're up to 46 boxes so far but probably will add another 50 for a total of close to 100 boxes)
The only appliances going are washer and dryer and a freezer.
We don't have any unusual items like a piano but our house is well furnished.

Any input? Our drive will be approx. 700 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
My guess is no.

We moved a 3 bedroom, fully furnished house from Colorado to TX. About 2500 sq ft and got rid of the freezer before going, so our only appliances were our washer and dryer. We got rid of most of our big furniture (other than the mattresses - 4twin, 1 queen and 4 dressers, 1 armoire). We ended up leaving a LOT behind for the neighbors (I still want to cry about a lot of it) and some for the trash.

I would recommend getting a professional moving estimate - they'll let you know how much space they think you'll need.

Because of the distance, ABF UPack is a safer bet. Once bitten, twice shy. I would NEVER do that again! Just thinking of everything I had to leave behind because of poor planning on our part (after SEVERAL cross country moves, no less!) just kills me still

Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
I've moved a very well-stocked four bedroom house with large bulky furniture in a 26-footer. Granted, my family moved a lot (about once a year) so we were expert packers and loaders. We could really cram everything in.

But honestly I think if you have more belongings than will fit in U-Haul's largest truck, then the size of the truck really isn't the issue--you'll have so many belongings to pack and load that you couldn't possibly do it yourself, you'd need professional help.

The distance really has nothing to do with it.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,793 times
Probably not. Professional movers generally allow 1000 lbs per room. If you have 4 bedrooms, a kitchen, living, dining and family area and a garage, you've theoretically already exceeded uHaul's 7400 lb Max Load capability. Unless you have a very 'dense' household and a lot of experience loading a truck, the 1600 cubic feet of the 26' truck probably won't be enough room.

It you try to 'fill up' the appliances to improve your density, it's very likely that you will damage them during transit.

U-Haul: Equipment specs

Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 AM

512 posts, read 947,734 times
I had a 26' for a 2 bedroom, no appliances, 125+ boxes and had to make 2 trips. Luckily it was a short distance move. I am now moving in less than two weeks and after getting rid of furniture and many other items I am hoping we will fit it all in! Luckily we have 2 cars that hold quite a bit too. Good luck on your move!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,243 times
Are you moving a doll house? Seems like a small truck. Sorry could not resist

Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Probably not. Professional movers generally allow 1000 lbs per room. If you have 4 bedrooms, a kitchen, living, dining and family area and a garage, you've theoretically already exceeded uHaul's 7400 lb Max Load capability. Unless you have a very 'dense' household and a lot of experience loading a truck, the 1600 cubic feet of the 26' truck probably won't be enough room.

It you try to 'fill up' the appliances to improve your density, it's very likely that you will damage them during transit.

U-Haul: Equipment specs

Speaking of Max Loads!!

We crammed all of our stuff in a FunMover by Cruise America. Not sure if it was the weight of all of our stuff, or the quality of the Rv, but we managed to blow 4 tires across country, in the summer.... IT S#C%ED

I don't recommend overloading a moving truck.

We were on the side of the road more than driving. and the costs were huge..

Get a bigger one, you will be thankful in the end...

Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
No. We rented a 24 ft from Uhaul. They said it was the biggest so maybe it was actually a 26 footer. Anyway, we moved goods from a 2 bedroom house. I sold or gave away a lot of stuff. We took minimal furniture. Once you pack everything you own, its amazing how much it really is. The stuff in the garage is what shocked me most. We took my husband's tools but pretty much left all the gardening stuff behind. Once we got settled into our 2000 sft house, it really hit me how little we had even though the truck was stuffed! Buying all new rakes, shovels, ladders, weedwacker, lawnmower...meh...not exactly exciting purchases to replace. So if you have a garage, don't forget about that stuff. It takes up a lot more room that you think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues