Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:25 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,248,871 times

Advertisements

We moved from CA to NC at the beginning of August and didn't have any problems from the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
Moving from Pennsylvania to New York. The temperature is going to be 88 with humidity. We are renting a uhaul and my mover insist on loading the stuff in the night before. We have about a 2 and half hour drive. Will our things like tv, movies, ps4 and games among other valuable items survive being left in a uhaul in the heat and humidity for 12-14 hrs?

Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 AM

6,900 posts, read 7,533,198 times
Can't you drive to your new home during the night? That's what I'd do. Not only will your entertainment stuff be safer (yes, I'd worry about those items in extreme heat, too) but the traffic will be easier. I've actually mostly always done my moves at night because of pets and traffic worries.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:58 AM

10,955 posts, read 7,006,279 times
Some items can obviously be affected by heat.

I've been more concerned with vibrations and broken items. That's gotten my attention more often - even with heavy packing - than heat ever has.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:26 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,693,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketlee77 View Post
Moving from Pennsylvania to New York. The temperature is going to be 88 with humidity. We are renting a uhaul and my mover insist on loading the stuff in the night before. We have about a 2 and half hour drive. Will our things like tv, movies, ps4 and games among other valuable items survive being left in a uhaul in the heat and humidity for 12-14 hrs?
Put some of that stuff in your car or the cab if you are concerned.
Anything I am worried about (due to damage or theft), I try to load into my car no matter how far the move is.

I've moved cross country in the summer twice- 750 miles from Michigan to North Carolina and back again. Once in August and once in July. I never had any issues. My TV was in the car both times. I cannot say for sure about other electronics, but I very likely had them in my car as well.

(First time I drove my parents' car while they towed a trailer with my SUV. Second time I was moving a full house so we rented a UHaul. My dad drove the UHaul and I followed in my SUV.)

This is a full 12 hour drive though, so everything was actually loaded the evening before. I wouldn't worry too much about that short of a drive. If you do not have room to transport those types of items inside a car or the cab, load them last. That way they are on the truck the least amount of time since they will be unloaded first.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,550,202 times
I bought an extra cooler and loaded the media and delicate electronics into it and made sure that came in to the hotel room each night. If you use beeswax on your dresser drawer slides and the truck gets hot, the wax will melt, but it is easily cleaned up.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 PM

13,066 posts, read 20,738,034 times
I would not overly worry about the heat. Think of all your electronic items that sat in some box, that crossed an ocean in a steel container on a ship, was hauled by truck or rail from CA through the blazing 100+ degree desert in non climate control containers, sat in some warehouse, was transported by another non climate control truck to the store or your home and is working without any heat related problems. A 2 1/2 hour drive is nothing. Odds are the vibration and jostling from insufficient moving packaging will do more damage.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,514,861 times
I moved from Alaska to Arizona in July driving a U-Haul and everything arrived just fine.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,965,127 times
I have done all my moves at night as well . I even leave sometimes at 2 am the dogs are asleep and they don't notice the drive . Believe me when I say you will be happier moving at night . Also traffic is not heavy either . Good luck on your move .

Old 06-29-2018, 02:05 AM

74 posts, read 50,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
We've moved in very hot weather (108 degrees was the highest), and it was never a problem. It gets warm back there, but it isn't an oven. Exactly how long were you expecting your belongings to be sitting in your truck???

I would probably move photographs separately if I were worried (though again, I doubt it would be an issue), but very important, valuable items/documents always go in the car with us anyway because it is more secure.
Hi Jillaceae,
Great information.
Here are some helpful tips to move in Summer:

1. Hire a reputable moving company
2. Reserve your truck/book your move well in advance
3. Take special care of kids and pets
4. Take care of belongings that can get damaged by heat
5. Bring water bottles, portable fans and stay cool

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues