Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,290 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Heres my situation.

I just started a new job here in Texas. I am 21 years old and originally from Clear Lake Iowa. I am wanting to move back in October. I am making 8.00 an hour at about 27 hours a week, and 9 dollars at 9 hours (On saturday we work 9 hours at a dollar more than the rest of the week). So I will be averaging about 36-37 hours a week.

My expenses are wonky right now. I owe 100 to my mother which im paying back before I even start saving for the move. I owe about 490 to my grandmother for tires which I am wanting to pay off in 100 dollar increments after the 75 this week I plan on paying. Also im factoring about 180 a month for gas (I am noticing 45 a week to fill up my 1995 dodge avenger) and around 109 for my cell phone bill.

Now I am wanting to save around or as close to 5000 as I can prior to the move, to cover a few months rent, gas and etc till I can find employment in or near Clear Lake. Is this possible?

I tried doing a ledger for my budget and its no bueno. I got conflicting results. Can anyone help with a budget and any advice? I moved back prior to this time but due to my leaving on a whim and 300 dollars I failed MISERABLY. I would like to be a tad more prepared this time. I hope this made sense O_O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
I'd suggest a second job.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Look at your paychecks. How much do you bring home each month AFTER taxes?

Figure out how much you pay each month for: rent, bills (i.e. phone, internet, gas, electric, groceries, ect), and any other monthly payments you have. Deduct about 100/mo for the debts you have to pay back.

Whatever is left, is what you have to save from (the number won't necessarily be exact). However, while I haven't done the math, I'm seriously doubting that with your job/pay you will be able to pay all your bills each month and save about $1000 each month (to get you to the $5000 you want to have before you move). Either you need another job, have to delay your move, or go back without as much of a cushion.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,364 times
One thing you can cut is your cell phone bill. Get rid of your cell phone plan (unless you're stuck more time in a contract) and get one of the cheapy cell phones where you buy a pre-paid card for certain #s of minutes. This has saved me TONS of money!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues