U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM

468 posts, read 513,218 times

Advertisements

Hi there City-Data folks,

My wife and I are moving from Asheville, NC to North Port, FL next month. The wife will drive our SUV with our 2 dogs and I will drive a rental van with our TV and our many instruments. Gonna sell my car and buy something new in FL The rest of our 2 bedroom house will go in some sort of container. My wife had a bad experience with sharing trailer space in the past so the POD/Relocube option is appealing.

Relocube will guaruantee 3rd day delivery while POD is up to 6 days. We don't particularly want to spend 6 nights in a hotel. Relocubes however seem pretty small. We don't have tons of stuff but we do have some large, awkward items like a bbq grill, decent sized computer desk, washer/dryer king bed and such.

Does anybody have any experience packing 'cubes or pods? Any issues fitting larger items? I don't particularly like the pushy PODS customer service so far and find the UPack folks to easier to deal with.

Any timely advice would be much appreciated.

- Chet
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM

521 posts, read 4,138,752 times
The standard ABF uPack ReloCube is a 6'3"D x 7'W x 8'4"H

PODS containers, on the other hand, come in 3 sizes
  • 8x7x7, capacity 5,000 lbs.
  • 8x8x12, capacity 8,000 lbs.
  • 8x8x16*, capacity 10,000 lbs.
You probably should first determine the amount of 'space' required by your household and then decide on the size of each unit you'll need to transport it based on the different transportation options you're considering.

Due to their large size and value, your major household appliances, overstuffed three-cushion sofa or California king-sized mattress carton would probably do better being moved inside a truck along with your seasonal clothes and personal effects. Put the smaller, less expensive furniture pieces, basement, and garage items inside the mobile/portable container.

Have you received any price quotes from full-service movers yet? Based on the different types of self-move options you're considering, you might find that having a licensed professional handle your shipment is competitive with paying for the material, labor, rental and repositioning costs for the DIY options you mentioned.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM

3,443 posts, read 7,886,376 times
If you're already driving a rental van, could you just rent a larger one and put all your stuff in it.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,588,652 times
I just researched this very question and went with ABF. I can get three of their relo-cubes for less money than one large POD and they were very flexible with the scheduling. They were nothing but nice and accomodating to me, which I really appreciate. I hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,401,555 times
PODS has a lot of gall to charge what they do. I used ABF last month and they were so friendly, helpful, flexible, every last person I interacted with was amazing. PODS would have cost more than 3x as much!

ABF will take up to 4 cubes on a trailer...and after you pay for the first one, the second one is a lesser fee. Something like 500 for the first, add 210 for the second. THey also do have trailers...maybe 21 feet you can do instead!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues