Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM

190 posts, read 618,110 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking that we will likely end up having stuff in storage for a few weeks while we get wait for our new house to be ready. So, I was thinking of splitting up some of our stuff. Some will go into a relocube to be sent to our tempoary housing, the rest will go with the moving company to storage until the move in date. My thought obviously is that we will want a fair amount of stuff before the move in date. This seems to make sense.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
If you're ever gone on vacation with one suitcase, you've learned how easy it is to live with minimal stuff. You just have to pack carefully, make sure everything matches, and plan to do laundry - it's not that hard.

My Dad moved 1000 miles away recently, and he packed his car with one suitcase, his bedding, and a few books, and took off - everything he took fit in the trunk, and you never would have guessed he was actually moving! The moving truck arrived almost a month later, and during that time he slept on an inflatable mattress - and he was fine.

If it had been me I would have also taken a TV, and my laptop and camera - so my trunk would have been a bit fuller than his, but not by much!

I would have also taken what I call "kitchen in a box" - it's something I do every time I move! I pick out a nice small box, and pack two plates, two glasses, two sets of silverware, one small frying pan, and one small pot, and one pirex pan for baking/roasting, one sharp knife, a bottle opener, a can opener, a spatula, a small cutting board, salt and pepper, and a couple of ziplock bags. With a short distance move it's great to be able to unpack that one box, and be able to make a meal right away, without having to search through a million boxes. But with a long-distance move, that one "kitchen in a box" would allow you to be totally functional in the kitchen, while you wait for the rest of your stuff to arrive.

Even if I was flying to my new destination, I think I would just ship out the "kitchen in a box" and bedding - maybe even send the two boxes by mail? And fly with my suitcase, laptop, and camera.

Obviously if you have several members in your family, it's a little more complicated - basically more bedding and more suitcases! But still only one "kitchen in a box" and one TV.

One other thought - you indicated you'll be in "tempoary housing" at first - so that means everything you move there, will have to be moved again to your permanent home. If you get a relo-cube, and fill it, that's a lot of stuff that will have to be moved twice.

I have a lot of stuff, and I love it all! But I know I could live a few weeks with very little - I've certainly done it on vacation! It would be a challenge, but also a bit of an adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues