Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM

27 posts, read 37,233 times

Advertisements

We are set to close on a home April 15th it is in the same town that we are living in now. Would you plan to be sleeping in the new house that night? Since it's a Friday I'm trying to decide about the cable and phone, whether I have them wait until Monday to do the switch or not.

We have kids and sometimes it's nice to have the tv for a little wind down time for them after a long day. Is this a silly thing to even be worrying about?(I'm sure it is!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Nope.

Reason: closing dates change with minimal notice.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
Based on the above post, I would say wait to transfer. If you end up moving beds and sleeping in the new house that night, could you just do movies for the night? If the kids are little enough they may enjoy a movie night in the new house on that first night.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Not only do closing dates often change at the last minute, but Friday is the very worst day to try and close - if anyone involved takes off early that day, it can delay the whole thing until Monday.

I would wait to see what happens, and play it by ear. If the closing goes through, and if the kids think it would be an adventure, then sure, go sleep there the first night. But don't be surprised if things change, and you have to delay it.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM

I'm covering my eyes here that our closing date may change :lol We have a 9am slot for closing so I'm hoping that it all works out.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:25 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
when we bought this house, we closed on a wednesday or thursday morning. the house was already vacant, so after the closing came and changed the locks. hubby left town the next morning for a business trip and i moved everything (with the help of my sister and a couple of friends) the next day. with a 6 month old in tow. LOL

hubby came back on sunday, and lucky man that he is, came home to a fully unpacked house (thanks to an OCD wife LOL), a happy baby and a new puppy! LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We closed on a house in a nearby town about ten days ago and we are still cleaning it before we move in. I think we will refinish the oak floors, too, since that's something we won't ever get done after we move in. The back yard needs fencing, too, so the dogs don't annoy the neighbors. Since you aren't moving that far, it might be nice to get the new house completely ready before moving in.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We closed on a house in a nearby town about ten days ago and we are still cleaning it before we move in. I think we will refinish the oak floors, too, since that's something we won't ever get done after we move in. The back yard needs fencing, too, so the dogs don't annoy the neighbors. Since you aren't moving that far, it might be nice to get the new house completely ready before moving in.
This house is spotless! My realtor and I were shocked by just how clean it was, even the window sills are spotless. This is one move where there will be no cleaning needed before moving in. We are going to put a bathroom in the basement soon but we can do that after we move in since it's the basement.

We redid our wood floors in a house while living in it. Doing them before you move in is definately the right choice!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
Well if you are able to stay there Friday night- FORGET about that TV stuff!!! Have a nice old-fashioned camp(in)! With Marshmallows and hot cocoa!!!
You will get to know the creeks and the noises in the house!
I think it would be rather exciting to get to act like kids again, with your kids, play board games, tell stories, make plans for building that swingset or fort in the backyard! Don't let TV take away what could be!!

Suedonym- I used to be like that, but after moving so much, hubby got to where he expected WAY too much, now I wait for us to do it together or it won't get done, not that I couldn't....!!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
If you close on Friday, especially the afternoon, it's a good chance it won't be recorded until Monday and if your laws are like ours you cannot take possession until it is recorded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues