Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

I will move soon fron Winston Salem, NC to SC and request any help possible regarding reviews/companies. Need loading at site, transport and unloading at new site, so pods/storage not appropriate for this move.

Please help! I am very wary....
Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Can't find the name of our moving company, but know that this is still an interstate move. As such, interstate tariffs apply and there is a minimum truck size that is allowed for interstate transport. Make sure that your destination will accommodate these huge trucks...we had an issue with our apartment complex as there was not enough room for the truck to navigate. The moving company had to get a secondary smaller truck, unload at an adjacent church parking lot onto the smaller vehicle (which we had to pay for) and then unload at our final destination. We moved from Charlotte to Fort Mill SC just across the border (a 16 mile move) and we were subject to this.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Pods will provide movers on both ends, you just pay extra (we didnt move much furn. but what we did move was heavy and some had glass so we used them as they were the experts). We moved most of the boxes from the house into the pod (and from the pod into the house), just not the furniture itself (also steps were involved from where we were moving), we had contracted for extra time (minimum) which wasnt really needed though.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
I used Allied. They packed up the whole house, moved us 1700 miles, and unloaded - even set up the beds and put every box and stick of furniture exactly where I wanted, in the garage, in the basement, upstairs and down - when I called them, so I didn't have to rush and then wait for them to get there. They only broke two things out of a 3 BR 1000 sq foot home - two lamps. Myantiques and pictures (framed and in glass) were fine.They also will come out and give you a free estimate. It might surprise you! PS I gladly signed their estimate - I thought it would be LOTS more! - and then after they loaded and weighed the truck, they said they had badly underestimated by 500 pounds. Didn't matter - they had contracted for the price set, and had to do it.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks for the info....any other recommendations are welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I will move soon fron Winston Salem, NC to SC and request any help possible regarding reviews/companies. Need loading at site, transport and unloading at new site, so pods/storage not appropriate for this move.

Please help! I am very wary....
Thanks~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues