Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 PM

512 posts, read 948,136 times

Advertisements

Did you try www.rent.com? I have used it twice with much success. Good luck with everything!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 03:06 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Arch, you said you don't want to buy a house, but you should check into buying one on contract. No bank involved and it's just like rent. Sure you're signing a contract to buy but our contract says you can move out any time and the contract is null and void. It would be just like renting. And, if you're buying, the seller can't tell you no dog or children.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 AM

15 posts, read 22,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Dear Archeology,
I've almost always had pets back when I used to rent. I ONLY responded to ads for townhouses, duplexes, or homes (in order to have a yard space) that said, "Pets Okay," and if it didn't have that in the ad, I'd call first to find out. If they said "No," I just thanked them and ended the call. Also, one thing you cannot get around is the rental standard that nearly always a pet deposit is needed for the landlord to protect themselves from the typical stuff animals might do to a place, so they can fix whatever. A dog is a dog and does doggie things, no matter if it's a blue-ribbon purebred, a police K-9, or service animal.

Anyway, I always managed to find a good place to live, in a good neighborhood, that allowed dogs and/or cats. It just takes time, that's all, to find suitable "Pets Allowed" properties, and I usually had to look at maybe a dozen places before I found what I was looking for. This would take me several weeks to accomplish. And I think this is the main difficulty for you, is how long it's taking to find something desirable, but that is the way it goes.

I could go on and on with advice, but the best thing you can do to resolve this, is ONLY look at rentals that specifically say, "Dogs Okay," or words to that effect. The fact that you have a job and are taking care of your mother speaks volumes about your desirability as a renter, so since the dog has become an issue, ONLY look at ads that say "Pets Allowed," with no weight or size requirement. Now, I EXPECT to hear back from you soon about the good news that you have finally found a good home to live in, dog, seizures, kids, and all.
GG
I have looked into pet friendly, but a lot of the times it is the size of the dog that turns people off. The dog is the size of a small pony. He stands tall and weighing in at 150lbs, most people don't want that in their home. I do understand that folks need a deposit, but requiring one that is 500 or more is kinda out of my range at the current moment as I had only planed on a deposit of around 300 dollars. As I only have so much money, and I will have to buy new stuff as I am currently selling everything that is too big to be taken.

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement on trying to find a home. I am sure that I will find one, I just getting stressed out because I have not found anything yet. I am leaving in a little over a week and I'm running around screaming the sky is falling! (ha, ha)

I am plan on looking a heck of a lot harder in the coming week, as I now have family who are going around collecting numbers and giving people a call. I dare say that maybe CL starting to suck and the local paper is even worse.

I have no idea why people are scared of epilepsy, they see that word or hear someone has it and they get shutout of a lot of places and activities. That alone frustrates me somedays.

Once again thanks for your kind words and advice.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Arch, you said you don't want to buy a house, but you should check into buying one on contract. No bank involved and it's just like rent. Sure you're signing a contract to buy but our contract says you can move out any time and the contract is null and void. It would be just like renting. And, if you're buying, the seller can't tell you no dog or children.
My parents bought one on contract. That is more common in the Midwest, around old small towns. I'm moving to the panhandle of Florida between the two air-force bases. My mom like something near the water as he husband worked the water for far too may years when he was younger. So yea I have five to one shot myself in the foot, by not looking into things that are inland, but I'm sure that I'll be able to come-up with something.

I'll will look into buying it on contract, as that is the easiest way a lot of the time to buy a house. The question is finding one. I can tell ya one thing, if I do find something like that I'll be sure to jump on it.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Okay, first it was, "I can't find a place that will rent to me with a dog, and kids"
Now it is, "I want a place on the water".

Good grief! I don't feel bad for you any more. I did before, but now you are trying to find your "perfect" place, from another state...good luck with that.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
You might want to rethink that idea of living near the water...
Have you forgotten that Fla panhandle is in the target area of most Hurricanes?
Do you want to be in a position of having to evacutate?

This is a very good time to buy a house. People are desparate to sell and will take any reasonable offer. Look for one.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, first it was, "I can't find a place that will rent to me with a dog, and kids"
Now it is, "I want a place on the water".

Good grief! I don't feel bad for you any more. I did before, but now you are trying to find your "perfect" place, from another state...good luck with that.
My mom wanted a place on the water, sure it is hard to find. Her and my dad used to live near the water when my dad worked in aquaculture (he did that for over 20 years). Since he died a year ago, she wanted to connect to him by living in a place that was near the water. Then she also has my sisters children, she is their mother and father now, since my dad passed away. So finding a place to rent to widowed woman with grandkids are hard. Sure my sister is around, but then she really isn't around.

I have ran into problems not only in Florida, but also in Kentucky about people who would hang up on me the minute that I would say that I also live with children. I think they would much rather have the dog than the kids.

I did find my perfect place from another state, it is no where near the water, but it works for my mom, her grandchildren, and myself. The best part is that it didn't cost anything. Which I guess is the best part.

I didn't ask anyone to feel sorry for me, I did not anyone pity. Just maybe some advice on how to tackle this problem. Which I was able to tackle, thanks to advice here and at home.

I am only one person, and I felt overwhelmed. That is all.

Also on another note, I have taken the advice here and I have started looking for places to buy. So I have started to save money and I am looking into it. As I see that as a much more viable option than looking for a place to rent to a woman with kids, and a service animal (which is currently on a diet by his new vet, the one in KY was not worried that a working lab was nearing 150lbs!)

So thanks for the advice, support and help.

As for hurricanes, I grew up in on the southern east coast. I have had the joy of having a few hit land while I was a kid. So I know what to do, but since I currently live in a mobile home, hurricane shelter here I come. Knowing my luck, this will be the time that my area gets "The Big One!" that destroys a lot of the area.

Once again thanks for the advice and the support.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 PM

289 posts, read 570,077 times
Have you mentioned the word "attorney" I find that that word will change alot of minds very quickly Call & talk to a local lawyer. Talk is free. Also make sure that you have researched state, federal, & local laws reguarding service animals & discrimination.

Tell them that you have talked to an attorney & you know your rights & you know the law reguarding service animals & unless they would like a front row seat in a court room for discrimination & breaking federal laws, that you suggest that they reconsider.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 AM

500 posts, read 1,174,288 times
I work in property management. Here is what you do:

The people that have discriminated against you due to the service animal/children? You retain their contact info and all records, file a complaint with the Fair Housing Administration, and they will "investigate", which means they will send out decoys to corroborate your story. If they fail the FHA's tests, you will win a lot of money.

FILE A COMPLAINT. FILE A COMPLAINT. FILE A COMPLAINT.

I cannot stress that enough. Both reasons you gave for people hanging up on you and refusing to rent to you are the most illegal reasons possible, and if it can be proven, you won't have to worry about renting, because you'll have enough money from a lawsuit to buy you and your mom houses.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeology View Post
Alright, I have a very odd set-up. I live with my mum, she is disabled, has more seizures than a cat has hair some days. With that lovely disorder she has a service animal, a 150lb lab, sure a little over weight but my mom and the vet are working on helping the working do drop some pounds. He is nearing five years old and his hips are hurting him a little, so even when she takes him out to exercise him, he just don't run like he used to. A lot of people see her in the backyard playing with him and automatically think house pet and not a service animal. He is a lab and she does not use him for sight, he just tells her when she will have another seizure or he gets the attention of someone if she has one. In other words he protects her, when needed.

Yet no one will rent, they all say sorry No Pets! and that is that. I have tried to explain that I'll pay extra for the dog, but that has been a no go. In reality I don't think I should have to pay extra for a service dog.

It is kinda funny, because a little over three years ago, my mom other service dog was getting too old (hence the new one), the condo where my parents lived at allowed them to have the dog even though they where not allowed, as they rented and didn't own. No extra money needed to be had and most the residents of the complex had no problem and thought the idea of a seizure dog was really cool.

Another thing that I have ran into problems with, is the two kids that also live with me. They are my sisters, but she isn't all too keen on raising them right now. I say the word children and folks clam up faster than when I say I got a dog! I think they'd rather have the dog than the kids.

At least I haven't told them about the fact that my mom smokes (she is working on quiting, but with her husband passing away within the last year, that has been a struggle). She does smoke outside, as she does not see the point of having the whole house smell of it.

I don't know, I am just having some problems finding a place to rent. I have money, but no one will take it! I have a job, my mom has disability and the children receive my dads, as they where wards of my parents before he passed away. So it isn't like money is a problem.

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they put ads up on CL or in the newspaper and when someone finally responds, they try their hardest not to rent out their property.

Well thanks for the moment of your time. I guess it back to the hunt.
Where are you moving to in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues