Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,216 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lived my entire life in Seattle. It's gotten to the point where I can't stand to pay the prices they want for apts anymore (yes, I guess I'm old). I've wanted to move for a long time, and the rental situation here has really pushed me toward moving.

But, here's my problem! I want to live somewhere that I can afford to live nicely without being in the career game. I just want a simple job. I want to explore a lot of other areas (I look at different cities data and am interested in co, maine, kentucky, as you can see, I'm all over the place).

So my question: Has anyone successfully been able to live by going from one state to the next picking up temp jobs? or, jobs with the understanding that you may only be there for 6 months? I really want to try this. I have 2 dogs that will be coming with, and I realize they make this harder, but what can I do!

Anyway, any experience or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I'm in my 30s. I have several friends who did this when we were younger. Not only did they travel the country this way, a few of them traveled the world. Sorry I never did it. I definitely think it can be done!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
I did this in my late teens (doing restaurant and landscaping type work)...
and again in my 40's (passing myself off as a commercial electrician)...

In both of those the traveling was seasonal and migratory (staying where it was warm)
but I really don't think the current down economy will lend itself to doing it any more.
(maybe if you had some really arcane technical competence in something people need help with)

Assuming you have some competence of some sort in something... try this:
realign your work life to work more hours per week, maybe a lot more, balanced with taking longer blocks of time off for yourself (to travel or whatever else).

good luck

Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
It can be done, staying with people on Craigslist, or travelling in your own camper, and living at KOA. That might be your best option with the dogs.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:15 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,364 times
Or maybe adjust your occupation. I have friends who move around constantly - they live in one of those huge RVs. The husband is some special kind of welder, and he just goes where the jobs are. I'm assuming he gets the jobs through his union. They do pretty much stay in the midwest, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues