Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Good point. Those with a degree in education can look at working gor the DOD at schools run on US bases overseas, or even teaching English jobs. But I think the OP wants a pity party. And people to agree that she is stuck, to validate and justify her position.
pity party lol

I've looked into education jobs even in Mexico and no go at the moment. Canada won't take any American teachers at the moment as well. As far as teaching English in another country you need a special certification CELTA so until Im done with that any foreign school won't hire you.

No I won't go just do a maid, nanny, or other job just to move. I am married also and he has to be able to find a job as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
So, you are not "stuck". You have made a choice. You don't need a special certificate to work for the DOD, just a valid teaching license.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 PM

133 posts, read 175,315 times
Pull the trigger. Pack a bag, put stuff in storage, give notices, check oil and tires, hit the road. If you are under 30, no kids/husbands, with a degree, nothing to hold you back. Have fun. There is so much out there to see.

I'm of the mindset start your own business. Plenty of government grants out there. Find a speciality. Go to a high income area and specialize (i.e. charge an outrageous amount of $$$). For instance a math academy for elementary school students. Maybe only 1-2 hours after school. You can even offer to pick up kids from school.

Maybe special tutoring. You have a master's how about working at a junior college? The world is your oyster!

I also like the overseas idea. Teach at a military base.

Time goes soooo fast. Just do it. Don't let another year go by.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
I think all of the posts have merit, but if you really want to move, you can make it happen. You don't need a lot of money to move, or a lot of stuff, or even a car. I have moved places with literally nothing but a duffel bag, and $500. I rented a room in someone's house, got a job waiting tables, while looking for something better. So, you are only limited by your own self, and your own concepts of what moving is. Don't let possessions own you, and decide your life for you. You can go where you want...on nothing. Or get rid of everything, put it in storage, and look for nanny jobs where you want to live, you could live with someone doing your job for a year...you are the one who has stuck yourself where you are, it is not the economy.
Thats taking a big chance.. 500 dollars going to a whole new location with a duffle bag is a big risk. Too much of one.. I wouldn't want to risk being on the streets. I'd save more than 1500 dollars even. Its not like a job can fall on your lap and you have to have connections somewhere to even consider doing something like this. I know its not a reality for me. If you have friends where you can do such a thing, thats considered real wealth. Not some big home your parents own that they are letting you stay there for free in with no friends in the middle of a boring ass suburb. I kinda envy you in a way.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Good point. Those with a degree in education can look at working gor the DOD at schools run on US bases overseas, or even teaching English jobs. But I think the OP wants a pity party. And people to agree that she is stuck, to validate and justify her position.
I really have an issue with this post. I detest the words pity party and in this economy people ARE stuck. At times it's just better to hunker down and endure some discomfort rather than uproot and (possibly) even makes things worse and, in the process, go broke and end up homeless.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM

21 posts, read 79,550 times
I'm feeling much the same way. Stuck! In a job that is tanking with no prospects of improving. I'm working harder with reduced hours and less pay. I think a lot of it does has to do with the economy. People are afraid to make a big change because all areas of the country are affected. Job reports out today indicate employers are not hiring, and many areas are laying off again. I've recently started looking at a move, but I am older and don't know if it would be any better someplace else. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a degree in a tech field or the medical field or education allows more opportunity to move. I wish the best of luck to anybody making a big move, but I also can relate to the feelings of uncertainty and angst endured by others.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I really have an issue with this post. I detest the words pity party and in this economy people ARE stuck. At times it's just better to hunker down and endure some discomfort rather than uproot and (possibly) even makes things worse and, in the process, go broke and end up homeless.

I am taking this strategy of being uncomfortable for the short run expecting that later on it WILL be better.

The plan you are talking about that you would rather not do is only something to do IF you have connections somewhere and are SAFE with lesser risk of being broke for the long run or even a good chance of getting a job hitting a new town. I am staying uncomfortable willingly unwillingly just because I could get broke if I take any major chances and don't have any major connections to hook me up somewhere at this current time.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
OP--

I've been where you are. it was almost 30 years ago, I "escaped' from Detroit.I was young, single, no kids, no obligations except myself. I was living with my parents, then got laid off. I was uterrly miserable.

An opportunity came up---a friend invited me to visit Texas, with options to stay. I just decided to do it. One night I simply packed my bags, gassed up the car and went. Well, I had $5000 saved, late model car paid for, and on a group health plan, figured no time was better than that.

I found a job within a week of arriving in TX, found a nice little house I managed to buy (parents helped with down payment), found a dh, never looked back. When I think of what my life would have been like if I'd stayed in Detroit! sometimes you have to take your life in your hands and just DO IT!

Don't go looking for palaces when you first arrive. I took a pt, low-paying job, lived in a little apt shared with 3 others, be willing to downsize to upsize, if that makes sense!---go for it and good luck!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Well, then, I did have connections---at least a place to stay, some friends who could get me an interview, even if just for a low-paying job............

its not the type of thing one does when older. When you're rooted, its hard to pull up. Not for friendship sake, but for some stability. But aske yourself this---

if you hate where you are now, what makes you think you will be any happier say, 5-10 years from now? Get out while the getting's good!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Yes, many people are in your position and we are one family that is. We had never planned to stay where we have been for the last 5 years but got "stuck". Our house has been on the market for 1 1/2 years and nothing is selling here because of the decline in jobs. My husband has made continually less money because of job changes as personnel were cut. So, you have to make the best of what you have or you are just wasting your life. I am trying to focus less on being here at the "Gateway to Hell" - my nickname for this hole - consider myself just waiting for the one miracle that gets us out but making a life, the old "making lemonade out of lemons". I keep everything organized for that move that will surely eventually happen and we get out and get involved in life. Don't waste your life dreaming about the future or pouting because you are "stuck". Live and appreciate life! Yes, that takes work. These are the worst of times ever but you must make the best of what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues