Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 AM

308 posts, read 600,751 times

Advertisements

I had it where I am living. I am 37 yrs old, been living in TX for 14 yrs. The only thing keeping me here in TX is my job, which I been with for over 13 yrs.
The job is the only thing I love, but I am ready to go back to my roots (where I lived in my youth).

So am I crazy to quit my job, pack my **** up and my family of four?
Savings? Not worried, if anything; I will cash out my 401K, which I have plenty to make it in 10 yrs or more. So as you see, I am not sweating the funds.

Jobs? I just want to be simple, just get a decent job and not working paycheck to paycheck (the American way) and not live beyond my means.

Anyone here got any good wisdom?
As you can see, I really want out.

Last edited by Tim_Barton; 05-16-2011 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
37 yrs old in TX for 14 yrs.
The job is the only thing I love
So am I crazy to quit my job, pack my **** up and my family of four?
probably.

Quote:
Savings? Not worried, cash out my 401K
I am not sweating the funds.
OK then; definitely crazy. Especially now.
Maybe if the notion only impacted you... But it doesn't. Does it?
That 401K deoesn't belong just to you.

Quote:
Anyone here got any good wisdom?
The concept known as F-Y money.
Having enough cold hard cash in the bank
enough that you can cover all your bills for one year if you ever get a wild hair idea or in case you lose a job.
A big damned pile of cash.

When you have something like this... then everything else will begin to look differently.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-16-2011 at 05:41 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,542,018 times
Tim,
I understand your frustration......but you asked for advice, so I'll give some.

You need to analyze exactly what you are frustrated about. You just say "Texas". I hear it's a big place. I suspect it is also quite varied, with coastal areas, inland areas, cities, rural areas, etc. I've only been there once.

Are you upset about the weather, the locals, the politics, the neighborhood.......what?

The apostle Paul wrote that it is a goal to "Be content in whatever state you are in" . While I doubt he was speaking about Texas, he was wrongfully in a dungeon when he wrote that.

The point is that you need to find what it is that is bugging you, and change it or your thinking. Get new friends. Get a new hobby. Get involved in clubs, volunteer work, etc. Focus on others, not yourself, and you will find more peace. Maybe find an active church with good folks who can help. Many healthier options here other then just quitting your job and uprooting things for no concrete reason. Your family deserves a more rational set of actions......

Maybe you just need to move to a different neighborhood, home or apt.

I think you might want to have a series of long talks with the wife, good friend, etc, to really get a good handle on this. You love your job, so just build on that. If you do quit, etc......save first, and do things rationally and logically and NOT emotionally.

Frank

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 AM

Oppps.... I didn't mean to knock Texas in general.

I'm in Austin. Minus the job, this place is pretty bland, minus what all Yahoo says about the city itself.
Actually my family is so forward to be moving. Our kids has so many friends it is not even funny, I also discussed with them about maybe moving and got their opinion on it and they are very GAME for going forward.
I am with a church and its a mega church here in Austin. I have very good friends and they'll be missed, but they are not my life. Since the death of both of my parents, there is nothing really here I want, unless I keep stuck / parked in my 2500 sq ft house that the AC runs over 85% of the year and getting fat on the sofa.
It has nothing to do with which town I live in or the neighborhood, that is not really any issue .

I used the be heavily into the outdoors, hiking, biking & skiing. Since moving here all that basically is tossed out the window. Its either staying inside with the AC blowing or eating some awesome BBQ and gaining wait. When we do get cold fronts, I am out and about and very active to what has to be offered.
I am looking @ moving to Boise, ID or JacksonHold, WY.

Keep in mind camping here in TX is not really fun. I been to Big Bend and other than that, not much going for what I can call EPIC wow!!
Lots of lakes here, but the big bugs come with it.

** If I do plan to cash out my 401k, I do not plan to spend it away on garbage or stuff we don't need. Its just to get us by until income starts coming back in. Once that goes, I plan to get what I have left out of my 401k and reinvest. On top of that, if my NEW employer offers a 401k, I plan to be extremely aggressive into contribution into it.
Hope this helps out my reasoning / ideas

Thank 'cha

-Timmy

Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
Oppps.... I didn't mean to knock Texas in general.

I'm in Austin. Minus the job, this place is pretty bland, minus what all Yahoo says about the city itself.
Actually my family is so forward to be moving. Our kids has so many friends it is not even funny, I also discussed with them about maybe moving and got their opinion on it and they are very GAME for going forward.
I am with a church and its a mega church here in Austin. I have very good friends and they'll be missed, but they are not my life. Since the death of both of my parents, there is nothing really here I want, unless I keep stuck / parked in my 2500 sq ft house that the AC runs over 85% of the year and getting fat on the sofa.
It has nothing to do with which town I live in or the neighborhood, that is not really any issue .

I used the be heavily into the outdoors, hiking, biking & skiing. Since moving here all that basically is tossed out the window. Its either staying inside with the AC blowing or eating some awesome BBQ and gaining wait. When we do get cold fronts, I am out and about and very active to what has to be offered.
I am looking @ moving to Boise, ID or JacksonHold, WY.

Keep in mind camping here in TX is not really fun. I been to Big Bend and other than that, not much going for what I can call EPIC wow!!
Lots of lakes here, but the big bugs come with it.

** If I do plan to cash out my 401k, I do not plan to spend it away on garbage or stuff we don't need. Its just to get us by until income starts coming back in. Once that goes, I plan to get what I have left out of my 401k and reinvest. On top of that, if my NEW employer offers a 401k, I plan to be extremely aggressive into contribution into it.
Hope this helps out my reasoning / ideas

Thank 'cha

-Timmy
are you preparred for the winters in Idaho or wyoming ? do you even like the cold and snow ? Im moving south next yr to get away from these midwest winters that never seem to end and have you taken a trip to see the area ? if not then plan one and see if you even like it . I cannot imagine someone moving in this economy without a job and check what rents are like . I suggest renting before buying because you might not even like the area . Be careful of moving your kids around too much they might never make good friends from moving so much and kids do suffer from that . good luck whatever you decide .

Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are you preparred for the winters in Idaho or wyoming ? do you even like the cold and snow ? Im moving south next yr to get away from these midwest winters that never seem to end and have you taken a trip to see the area ? if not then plan one and see if you even like it . I cannot imagine someone moving in this economy without a job and check what rents are like . I suggest renting before buying because you might not even like the area . Be careful of moving your kids around too much they might never make good friends from moving so much and kids do suffer from that . good luck whatever you decide .

Yes, I am ready for the snow and actually really miss it.

I am from Utah. Heck, I maybe, just maybe even consider SLC, Utah

Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,946,150 times
Start your job search BEFORE you plan the move. Also, don't burn any bridges leaving. Life might not be better somewhere else and you may find a strong urge to come back.

Since you say you can afford to be without a job for awhile, why not 'try out' a new place? Ask your boss for a leave of absence, or just ask for 2 months off - unpaid, of course. Then pack up the family for a long trip and rent a house for the summer where you think you want to live. The best time to do this is while the kids are out of school. Although it's typically harder to meet folks in a new area during the summer, if it's a good fit, you'll discover that within those first 8 weeks. Try to find a rental house v apartment for those months. (VRBO is a good place to start your search)

Life's too short to feel stuck. We moved here to TX a couple years ago. Love the state, love the area, love the people, hate the weather 3 months of the year. But other than in San Diego (which is, unfortunately, in California), every place has a stretch of weather that keeps us indoors for a few months at a time at least.

We've lived 'all over'. Being nomadic is not what it's cracked up to be.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 AM

156 posts, read 300,426 times
Funny, we are moving to Austin to escape the cold/snow and to be more active.

I suggest visiting and getting a feel for a place before just going somewhere. I'd also suggest having cash on hand versus cashing out a 401K, its too easy to do and as you get older the lost $$ makes a big difference.

Finding a job in advance would be ideal plus have some "what if" plans in case someone in your family doesn't like your new home. Best friends of mine moved because he was miserable and wanted a change, 2 years later she was miserable, he wouldn't listen to her, and she left him to come home. Ironically he was then miserable and moved back as well 3 months after that.

My new job is going to let me work remote and my kids have moved out so its just the 2 of us so we have a plan for if we don't like Austin in the first year, head further west to San Diego. If we don't like that after a year then we head back to DC.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM

25,973 posts, read 22,164,069 times
Lining up a job before you move is the best advice you will get. Also, I see a lot of people dumped after just a few months on a job. If you are financially secure where you are and the schools are good, neighborhood safe, I would not budge for a couple years anyway. I do wonder if you have budgeted out exactly what the expense will be of living without a pay check because it is often higher than you may think. Also, check the cost of living - think about the heating bills which have sent many people south, insurance which can really vary, taxes - all kinds of taxes. Look before you leap as many people are out of work and many companies just barely hanging on. Even 5 years ago, you could have went for it but now, conditions change on a daily basis. It is very hard to make a big move as we have done it many times. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,669,453 times
Take it from someone who has been chasing that greener grass..
If you must move back home, then save some cash and find a new job before hand.. perhaps you can request a transfer or work remotely with your current JOB

but under no circumstance cash out your 401k.. DO NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues