U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Location: A rich man is not one who has the most, but one who needs the least
25 posts, read 164,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
We moved a four bedroom house, with 25 years of accumulation, from NY to MO, and used ABF U Pack....they were awesome!
Do you mind my asking how much did that move cost you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM

947 posts, read 3,162,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypennywaite View Post
waiting on our container's to be delivered on 7/15. Moving from Mi. to N,C. We have a large 3 bedroom house and medium size out building to move. Having 2 of the 16 ft. delivered and hoping that will work for all belongings.Tried to use the U-haul pods which would of been 5 pods from them and after we left their store feeling like everything was settled they started calling us the next morning with everything a mess. Didn't even have our correct location for delievery and gave us the wrong quote on price among many other misreprentations from their people at the center we were at. So wish us luck with Pack Rat!! I will post how this company works for us!!

Hi there! How has the move been? How was PackRat? Did you/ are you storing container anywhere?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM

389 posts, read 793,393 times
I am with Tambre. We have made 2 long-distance moves (NY-MN & then MN-CA) and used ABF both times. I have to say, I have never heard ABF and the term "pod" used in the same sentence as I read another post. We did not have the pod option (from any company) in our first move as they were not available (can't remember if it was due to where we were moving from or where we were moving to).

We went with ABF for several reasons:
1. cost - we were limited by the amount my husband's new employer would reimburse. The estimate was a total cost -- trailer space rental, gas, tolls, etc. No surprises.
2. we wanted the control of packing the truck with our belongings, making sure everything made it on the truck and was tied down securely. We loved having the trailer dropped off at our home for however many days we needed to pack it up, give ABF a call and it gets picked up. We don't see it again until it is delivered to the new address. We received a "tracking number" so we could keep track of our trailer of goods.
3. due to #2, we were able to control how many cubic feet we used. ABF provides an estimate based on a number of questions you answer and then they give you a dollar amount per foot that will either be credited (if you use less than the estimated amount) or charged (if you need more than the estimated amount).
4. size of ABF trailer - this is not anywhere near the same as a U-Haul truck/trailer. You see these trailers on the highway and realize just how tall they really are. Both times we moved, we had a 3 BR house to pack up. Granted we sold/gave away quite a bit of furniture, but still...
5. We did not have to drive the truck with our belongings, so no headaches due to wrestling a big truck on the highway with other traffic, potential breakdowns, etc.

We loved ABF and would definitely use them again (if needed)!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 115,011 times
BuckeyeAtHeart makes some very good points re: the use of the trailers. The flexibily of space is one of the biggest. Just make certain you prepare items for transport and wrap things well.

JA

Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,578,212 times
Well, I just contacted ABF Relocubes, Pods, and Ratpack.

Relocubes, (ABF) was the least expensive. Their cubes are smaller, (6'x7'x8') and they will bring two of them, and only charge us for one if we only use one. For our 1200 mile move it was $1457 for one or $1961 for 2. The young lady I spoke to was wonderful. Very professional and helpful. I felt she was very trusting and not rushed or a "pressure seller" at all. So far of the three I am very much leaning towards going with ABF Relocubes.

The second call I made was to PODS. This guy was slicker then snakeoil. Fast talker high pressure feeling. For one Pod, (their smaller one, 8'x7'x7') was $3166.05 When I told him I thought that was high he stopped being "nice" and hung up on me. I was not impressed at all.

The third call was to packrat. The man I spoke to there was nice and professional. Their containers are bigger, 16'x8'x7.5'. Their cost was $2530 and included use of blankets, (don't need) and a free lock and 425k of insurance. He was not high pressure and he was professional.

We will not need too much room, so ABF Relocubes for us anyway seems the best choice.

Frank

Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM

964 posts, read 1,878,487 times
We used the pack-the-truck method by ABF a year ago. They were great and we'd use them again in a heartbeat....

Geri

Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM

420 posts, read 612,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

Relocubes, (ABF) was the least expensive. Their cubes are smaller, (6'x7'x8') and they will bring two of them, and only charge us for one if we only use one. For our 1200 mile move it was $1457 for one or $1961 for 2. The young lady I spoke to was wonderful. Very professional and helpful. I felt she was very trusting and not rushed or a "pressure seller" at all. So far of the three I am very much leaning towards going with ABF Relocubes.
Did you provide them with a discount code? The rep I spoke with had me get online and search for discount codes. I was able to take $50 off of my quote... and I believe they can apply more than one code. I only found one code but I am not complaining.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,578,212 times
Yes I did. I got $50.00 off.

They deliver them next week. I have drawn the exact size of the cubes on my garage floor and have been "loading" everything we plan on taking in that place. So far, all is good.

I spoke to ABF today and each time I speak to them they are friendly, professional and caring. I feel very good about this so far.

Frank

Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 PM

13,616 posts, read 11,744,019 times
Quote:
Yes I did. I got $50.00 off.

They deliver them next week. I have drawn the exact size of the cubes on my garage floor and have been "loading" everything we plan on taking in that place. So far, all is good.

I spoke to ABF today and each time I speak to them they are friendly, professional and caring. I feel very good about this so far.

Frank

Please make sure to come back and give us an update how the move went. Of course, after you unpack. Wishing you the best in your move. And thanks for the review on the three companies.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,324,079 times
Quote:

The second call I made was to PODS. This guy was slicker then snakeoil. Fast talker high pressure feeling. For one Pod, (their smaller one, 8'x7'x7') was $3166.05 When I told him I thought that was high he stopped being "nice" and hung up on me. I was not impressed at all.

The third call was to packrat. The man I spoke to there was nice and professional. Their containers are bigger, 16'x8'x7.5'. Their cost was $2530 and included use of blankets, (don't need) and a free lock and 425k of insurance. He was not high pressure and he was professional.

We will not need too much room, so ABF Relocubes for us anyway seems the best choice.

Frank
I have used ABF UPack, but never their relo-cubes. I think the cubes are probably more convenient but cost more (per Cubic Foot) than if you load a container and pay per lineal foot. Nice thing about the cubes is that you don;t have to go up and down the ramp.

At any rate, ABF as a company is first class. I have used them a few times and they are always professional, courteous and punctual. They're also nice. My last shipment was billed for 1 foot less than I thought they should. 1 lineal foot might not sound like much, but I do believe I was paying around $300/LF to ship from Alaska, so obviously I was happy.

I can't say enough good things about this company and will ALWAYS use them and always recommend them to friends and family with full confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues