Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:52 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,916,098 times

Advertisements

Based on these recommendations, we are going to use a relo cube through ABF to make a small initial move to our next home. We are transitioning as we are having remodeling work done on our new home, and this will allow us to purge our existing home, set up minimal (think luxury camping or efficiency living) in our new home. I received an excellent price and am hopeful this mini move will go smoothly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,213,205 times
For those of you that have used the ABF semi trailers not the cubes, did you pack them yourselves and how did that work out?

We are looking to move 2000 miles and have had people warn us that packing it ourselves is just asking for damage.

Any thoughts?
We will be moving the contents of a 4 bedroom house, family of 4.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 AM

4 posts, read 31,992 times
Default ABF has more room that Pack Rat and Pods

Pods and Packrat units are 16x7x7 (within inches) and you can load with them at ground level. This is about 900 cubic ft.and you would probably need 3 for an entire 3+ bedroom house.( about 2500-4,000 lbs in each unit) Also if you have tall items the 7 ft hight is very limiting. The ABF units are 28 ft x 8x8.5 ft or approx 1800-1900 cubic ft. and you might get everything in. (max about 10,000 lbs if packed by someone who is not a mover)
The big drawback is the loading height which is dock high.
Also you need plenty of moving pads for a self move, espcially ABF as they are spring ride trailers.
Hope that helps

Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 AM

4 posts, read 31,992 times
ABF is a spring ride trailer so use a lot of moving pads and pack the load tight so there is no room for the boxes and furniture to shift or bounce.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 18,662 times
Could somebody please help me figure out how many containers we need? We have about 5 rooms worth of stuff, leaving out the stuff we won't be bringing (we are only moving 2 twin mattress/box springs for ex). What puzzles me is how many boxes per room do they allow for in addition to the furniture? We have several room size rugs--no wall to wall for us---how much difference does that make?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM

19,115 posts, read 16,499,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi901 View Post
Could somebody please help me figure out how many containers we need? We have about 5 rooms worth of stuff, leaving out the stuff we won't be bringing (we are only moving 2 twin mattress/box springs for ex). What puzzles me is how many boxes per room do they allow for in addition to the furniture? We have several room size rugs--no wall to wall for us---how much difference does that make?
You need to go to their website and do a "quote" for your possessions. It asks how many rooms of furniture as well as the destination. There's also a toll free number you can call. They'll help you.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,323,682 times
Going on four years ago, we used ABF for a 2000 mile move from Northern California to southwestern Missouri. Before we moved we gave away or donated much of the furniture we didn’t want to retain to minimize our moving costs. ABF parked a trailer in front of our home, and also helped us arrange for packers and loaders at the source and un-loaders at our final destination. The move went without a hitch, no damage and for reasonable costs. I would highly recommend it.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 13,301 times
A PODS brand container is the better option here. They will drop off a container to you so you can pack and load at your own pace AND they do all the driving for you. You are the only one to access the container. Also the container is not steel (unlike PACK RAT) so its made to breathe like a house meaning the inside wont get all hot and sticky. U Hauls U Box's are cheaply made and they also shift and tilt the box. U Box's are very small, so you'd have to get several. PODS are the originals, have the biggest footprint and are still the best option!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,228 times
I had a terrible experience with ABF. We used a cube and stored it at their NYC location. They do NOT store the cubes inside-- and during Hurricane Sandy they did not elevate them off the ground. Predictably, they flooded. They didn't get in touch and I spent 2 weeks trying to contact them to schedule coming in. When I got there EVERYTHING was ruined- mattresses, books, wood, metal rusted etc. They were not apologetic and did not replace anything. They said their insurance only covered fire or dropping. Pods and PackRat store their containers inside and give up to $10,000 insurance coverage. I will NEVER use ABF again. What a nightmare.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,194 times
So I went through the process of figuring out my move. Between PODS, 1800 PackRat and traditional movers. Pack rat was the cheapest, I see why. they showed up, on time dropped off two containers. I took 3 days to load and they came and picked them up. I relocated about 500 miles away. The dropped off on time and all was still well. Then all hell broke lose. The driver came to pick up the containers. I looked out my window and noticed that he was driving in my neighbors yard to Pick up the container???? Wait what??? Not only is he in their yard he is just destroying their yard. I went out to ask him why he was in the neighbors yard and all he replied was relax. So as i am making friends fast in the neighborhood I was kind of in disbelief. I thought ok fine. I will repair the damage and apologize profusely to my neighbor and just deal with it. Then he (same driver) comes back to get the second container. AGAIN in neighbors yard. And this container is a good 20 feet away from their yard. An as I go out to ask what the heck I notice he is putting down the braces in my asphalt driveway causing big dents. And in his just being a jerk he hit the container and pushed it about 2 feet across the drive causing big scrapes and chipping the cement apron of the garage. So have to say now I am quite upset. I immediately call the number I have and ask to speak to a manager and am told they will call me immediately as they have to get the local manager to call me. I go out to ask the guy what the heck and take pics and he looks at me and I quote. He says " you b***h so much you should have been a woman". Again wait what???? I call back to the number I have pretty much irate. And again am told they will call me very shortly and ask me to file a damage claim in the mean time which I do. No call back that day. No call the next day. Not until the 3rd day do I get a call back from the local manager, btw I was calling daily to find out why no one would return my call. The regional begins to explain he was out of the office., great I am glad there is only one person that is able to provide any level of customer service at this place. He assures me that they way take care of me and fix the issues since I filed a claim. Well it has been over a month and the claims dept says they are trying to get someone to come out?? Really?? Since I had been there for about a week and my neighbors yard was immaculate I decided to address their grass and mine as well, heck I already submitted the pics of the tore up yard so I am good right? I prepared and smoothed out the area and planted and tended to grass for about 3 weeks to make some amends with my neighbors as I was not getting far with 1800 pack rat. Then about 5 weeks after the issue and repeated emails asking what's going on I get back from them sorry there is minimal damage to the grass( no kidding I fixed it and told you I fixed it) and according to my contract they are not responsible for damage to driveways. Wait even if your driver is a moron and does it on purpose??? To top it off they offered me $200 to settle and in doing so I sign away my rights to post negative feedback against them or pursue this further. As you can see I chose to pass on this. What a bunch of low brow clowns. Absolutely unprofessional and unwilling to take accountability for their actions. If using containers go with PODS. In hindsight they have much better reviews and I now have spoken to several who have used them and they were very satisfied. Spend the extra cash stay away from this Mickey Mouse outfit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues