Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 AM

17 posts, read 101,940 times

Advertisements

Any comments/recommendations greatly appreciated...We will be moving a 3+bedroom home from Northern Virginia to South Carolina. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
what you describe is a rather plain vanilla and rather short distance move...
why are you limiting yourself to the module model?

If anyone qualifies for the traditional moving van company process
it's a whole 3BR home full of crap going 500 miles.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 AM

17 posts, read 101,940 times
This is the first time in a long time that we are moving ourselves, so I am looking at all options. I am also getting quotes from a couple of moving companies, but had heard some general comments about the convenience of the small container option as well. Just thought I'd see if I could get additional information from anyone that has done this type of move.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmomx2 View Post
...but had heard some general comments about the convenience of the small container option as well.
gotcha.

the issue's are mostly going to be how many of those large volume items you own and will want to move (eg: mattresses, dressers, dining room breakfronts that need the volume of a larger truck) and/or how convenient it will be to have several of those cube things in your yard or street for however long it takes you do all the loading yourselves.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:43 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
If you're not sure how many containers you'll need, they'll drop off an extra one and then if you don't use it, they'll just take it away, un-charged, but it's better to have 1 extra just in case.
And, you can hire loaders to load it and unloaders at the other end. U-Pack has a 30 day storage, too, if you need to do that and when you want it moved, you just tell them. But, you have no access to that stuff during the storage time.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM

141 posts, read 426,242 times
We used ABF because they had a good price for the distance. We moved about 650 miles and went the pod (ABF) route because my husband was working in our new state and couldn't take a lot of time off. We had the pod at our house for several days and packed it. We figured in the cost of gas and towing my husbands truck and it seemed the more sensible thing to do. They were right on time and had the pod at our new home when they said they would. I would use them again if we moved. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon though. It cost us about 2000 +/- to move a 3 bedroom house approximately 1200sq ft. We moved from the Gulf Coast of MS to Springfield, MO.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck on your move!!

Last edited by Stephkp; 06-04-2011 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: clarrification

Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 AM

177 posts, read 685,529 times
This week we loading a 16 foot Packrat container for a move from northern South Carolina to the Tampa area. They will remove this container and bring a 8 foot container on Thursday. The containers will go into air conditioned storage for about a month (1st 30 days free storage). So far we are very pleased with their service.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 PM

296 posts, read 638,297 times
if my husband gets his job in maryland (we are in georgia) we'll be selling alot of stuff (2200 sqf narrowed down to fit 1500) then using a mover..company pays...we will have to get a storage unit for awhile. one with climate control. we did use a pod once and that was convenient but i dont know how far they deliver/store/then move it to. they also get VERY hot so nothing that melts, or gets soft...art work, barbies, glued items ect..had christmas ornaments fall apart and the pod wasn't sitting outside for more than a couple days. georgia heat is bad!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 33,123 times
waiting on our container's to be delivered on 7/15. Moving from Mi. to N,C. We have a large 3 bedroom house and medium size out building to move. Having 2 of the 16 ft. delivered and hoping that will work for all belongings.Tried to use the U-haul pods which would of been 5 pods from them and after we left their store feeling like everything was settled they started calling us the next morning with everything a mess. Didn't even have our correct location for delievery and gave us the wrong quote on price among many other misreprentations from their people at the center we were at. So wish us luck with Pack Rat!! I will post how this company works for us!!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
We moved a four bedroom house, with 25 years of accumulation, from NY to MO, and used ABF U Pack....they were awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues