Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,454,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Those folks who talk about "I moved a few years back and nothing happened to me" or "The pioneers did it, it's the American pioneering spirit!" kinda get my goat.

This is not your mother's recession, not even your grandfather's Depression.
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data, the number of people with jobs peaked at 146.6 million in November 2007, meaning that over the entire recession – which officially began in December 2007, and with the latest figures from May in – the number of people employed has fallen by 6.8 million in four years.

This is nationwide, not merely isolated pockets of unemployment. What happened 5, 10, 15 years ago - when you could move without too much desperation - is nothing compared to what it is now, and no Pollyanna "Yeah, go for it!" attitude is going to change that.

Moving makes you poorer. Period. Unless you have the money and resources to offset that, not even a good-paying job waiting for you in your city of choice will save you.

It is much, much worse now for transients, as I've stated here before. Just because more people are doing it does not make it a good idea.

College graduates are moving back home because there are no jobs for them. Yet - and the OP is not alone in this, I see it happening on the C-D forums every day - people still firmly believe that moving will change their bad employment luck. They haven't the basic economic education nor the experience to comprehend that it is only going to get worse, and moving away from their support frameworks will make it harder on them.

One can justify their actions any way he or she chooses, but please understand this - economic realities don't change, and a Pollyanna perception of them won't change them at all.
Two people can walk down the same path and end up in different places. I do not think having aspirations of a better life means that you are suffering from Pollyanna syndrome. I applaud the op for the audacity to chase after her dream. Who in life every achieved anything worth having without taking risks? The OP does not have a job. What does she really have to lose? I know people who moved to Central America to find a job in their chosen field. People from other countries do this everyday. Economic realities do not change but it impacts everyone differently.

My future endeavor involves taking a $25,000 pay cut to move to another state to pursue a graduate degree for the sole purpose of personal exploration. I've gotten mixed reviews but I do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 PM

26,969 posts, read 43,474,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I know people who moved to Central America to find a job in their chosen field. People from other countries do this everyday. Economic realities do not change but it impacts everyone differently.
Exactly, and the premise that this is America and that Americans are having to do such a thing results is a disconnect for many based upon the reaction from some on this thread...as if somehow we're immune as a country and only residents of poor Third World countries need to do anything as extreme. Haven't they heard? We're becoming a Third World country...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,329,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingdiva79 View Post
Therewego,

Thanks for replying (as well as everyone else. I appreciate it! ). I had some saved but, its has dwindled a bit. I do receive UI and I plan on using that and my savings. I've been to Houston about 3 times since Jan 2011 and the areas I visited, I definitely need a well paying job for. Besides my need to regain my independence, I am thinking of the well being of my child & our quality of life. One of the things I told myself when I had my son was that I will support him in whatever he does. My mother had a chance to leave but she didn't & I think she regrets it somewhat & tries to hold on to me. She understands but at the same time, is highly critical.

As far as my credit, its ok considering being a 'child of the recession'. I pay my bills on time but the one thing that may hinder me is being a first-time renter. My son's dad(we're not together& I have sole custody) doesn't like it but when he returns from the Middle East, he'll have the same predicament of finding a job. The only thing different will be vet prefrence, depending on his job. I feel I'm making the right decision & I will keep everyone posted

Are you still colllecting UI? Look into collecting benefits while in TX, I'm not sure how it works, but think you can still collect benefits if you're traveling to look for work (which you certainly are) However, I think the benefit is less, I think you collect the TX benefit, not the MI benefit, and the TX benefit is less. But I think there's some way around it, if you declare this to be a looking-for-work trip.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,329,811 times
Oh, also, about staying in Extended Stay apts---

The rates get cheaper if you're staying longer, and if you stay 30 days or more, you're not charged hotel tax, which is very high in Houston, the highest in the nation, something like 20%, don't forget to figure that into your budget planning!

Look around online, there's coupons for those extended stay places, don't know if you can apply them to a 30+ day stay, but look around.

also, someone mentioned the heat. yes, its hot as blazes in Houston, and humid, you will need the AC, you simply can't get away from using it. Up North we considered AC an option, almost a luxury, but its a necessity here. Those Extended Stay places, usually AC is included, which is a big, big budget item. They are a good way to get started, usually inculde furniture, appliances, kitchen stuff, linens, etc.

also, another suggestion, salaries are somewhat lower here than up North, but don't forget, they don't have state income tax, so your take-home pay is larger. You might want to check out those salary paycheck calculators to figure your take home pay.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 PM

79 posts, read 115,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Are you still colllecting UI? Look into collecting benefits while in TX, I'm not sure how it works, but think you can still collect benefits if you're traveling to look for work (which you certainly are) However, I think the benefit is less, I think you collect the TX benefit, not the MI benefit, and the TX benefit is less. But I think there's some way around it, if you declare this to be a looking-for-work trip.
I did. When I spoke to IDES(IL Dept. of Employment Security), they said that IL is the paying state & that my benefit amount won't change. They also said to make sure I notify them when I move(the lady actually said move on the weekend so when you certify, you aren't penalized).

Old 06-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, also, about staying in Extended Stay apts---

The rates get cheaper if you're staying longer, and if you stay 30 days or more, you're not charged hotel tax, which is very high in Houston, the highest in the nation, something like 20%, don't forget to figure that into your budget planning!

Look around online, there's coupons for those extended stay places, don't know if you can apply them to a 30+ day stay, but look around.

also, someone mentioned the heat. yes, its hot as blazes in Houston, and humid, you will need the AC, you simply can't get away from using it. Up North we considered AC an option, almost a luxury, but its a necessity here. Those Extended Stay places, usually AC is included, which is a big, big budget item. They are a good way to get started, usually inculde furniture, appliances, kitchen stuff, linens, etc.

also, another suggestion, salaries are somewhat lower here than up North, but don't forget, they don't have state income tax, so your take-home pay is larger. You might want to check out those salary paycheck calculators to figure your take home pay.
Thanks! I'm looking at motels too. I heard about that hotel tax... *shudders* lol. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:31 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,341,437 times
Human beings have used relocation for millenia as a way to improve their individual or collective lot.

I just find it both funny and sad that many Americans are ignorant or this and automatically assume that relocation is a poor decision.

How the hell do many of you think America stretches from "sea to sea"? People didn't move out west for fun. They moved because they believed that it would improve their standard of living. For some it did and for others it didn't. However, you won't be able to take advantage of it if you don't actually proceed with it.

As for OP, your mother and friend are being selfish. Is there a good chance that you'll fail in your endeavor? Most likely. However, there is no shame in trying and failing. The shame lies in not trying at all. Give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen? You get setback from 1 to 0.8 on a 10 scale? The upside is greater than the downside and that's all that matters.

These are some posts I've written on another forum regarding similar topics. I don't feel like writing it again so here it is:What can I tell you.

Quote:
Are you looking only in your immediate area?

A historical solution to prolonged UE has been to move. With people from developed countries this rarely happens.

In the US corps did this. It's called outsourcing and they became more profitable than ever. lol

I don't know why so many Americans have an aversion to moving. Of course it's not easy but it has been a time tested way of seeing better days. "Go West Young Man!", ring a bell?
Quote:

My parents moved halfway around the world even though all of their friends and family stayed behind. It's not supposed to be easy in this regard. There's no free lunch in life (usually) and there are negative externalities even from positive moves.

The only certainty is that if you don't change the variables, the outcome is prone to be constant.

I'm not saying it's the only solution but it's one that has been time tested and tends to work. Also, it's doable while you're young.
Quote:
A move doesn't guarantee **** but it's a variable that you have control over and can change. Some variables in the "success in life" equation are our of your hands. Some aren't. Tweak the the ones that you can control and eventually something good will happen. If only through trial and error.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,660,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingdiva79 View Post
<snip> And what do you mean by basic education? Are you referring to schooling, life education?
No, I said basic economic education. It's not your fault; numbers, economics, macro- and micro-economics, the economics of not only individuals but groups, communities, states, and even countries - none of this is taught in schools any more except what passes for very basic and mostly Kenyesian "economics". So most people really do not grasp what is happening - that we have moved from a primarily manufacturing to a service economy, that most of our dollars are shipped overseas, that the money remaining is getting passed around and around, losing its value at every pass, that quantity instead of quality is accentuated, that the pool of service jobs is growing smaller and smaller - all of this falls totally outside of most peoples' understanding, even though every bit of it is why there are so many under-employed and unemployed people... not just in select areas, but everywhere in the country. Do you know what this country's biggest exported resource is? Used paper. It is shipped overseas to be re-manufactured into cardboard, new paper products, etc. Meanwhile, paper mills all over the US are shutting down - because it is cheaper to ship used paper overseas and have it remanufactured than to employ people here to do it. I hope that you understand what that means for the economy...

Reasons for "low unemployment stats" are never discussed in all of the enthusiastic articles about certain cities or states - reasons like: many people have extended past their unemployment benefits' limit and have fallen off of the rolls; or that people are taking multiple part-time jobs without benefts just to make ends meet; employers are encouraging early retirement so they don't have to fill the position when the people are gone; college and university towns have an unlimited supply of students fighting over the few jobs available (and students are often transients who rarely collect unemployment); or even that (like here) farmers and ranchers are sending their previously unemployed wives and children into town to fill positions to help pay the bills as well as work on the farm; so they are claimed as being 'employed' in both places.

I hope that your economic education doesn't come at a very great cost to you - and I don't mean a grant or a student loan.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Default update

Hi!

I'm still moving as of today. I've been looking for work and have had a few phone interviews with companies in Houston. I got a denial letter the other day and my mum states that," well, I'm sorry you got one. Guess you won't be moving out then. I don't see why you want to move anyway.." to live within such a negative space is making me nuts. But, I'm still going forward. Why is it that when you seek to have independence, parents are the first to be downers, or is it just my experience?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 AM

30,186 posts, read 23,583,365 times
I have moved several times in my life. It's just what I do. It's how I was raised...move, move, move some more.

Several times it has been insanely easy, other times, it has not. Right now, it is very hard. People are scrambling for any work they can find and you will have more competition for the same job.

Having said that, I completely agree with you that sometimes, it takes a big move to make your life better. Sometimes, you just aren't able to find the quality of life that you need where you are, currently.

Being around a negative environment is not helpful at all, it saps your energy and you are, indeed, less likely to find work when you are in that state. (Of being, not state in the country.)

You seem to have done a lot of research and are working hard to find a job and make this work. I say, Go for it.

Because you do not have a job, you MUST have enough money to live off of for a considerable amount of time and that includes AFTER you find work and get a place, have your son come down and all the expenses that go in to that. I am not sure that 6 grand is going to cover it. I am not sure that even 10 grand would cover it. It is EXPENSIVE. (I know you know this, I'm just clarifying it for you that 10 grand can be gone quick.)

But, do not let the naysayers deter you as long as you are going in to this with fully open eyes. You may get there, find work right away, (and it IS easier to find work in another state if you actually have a fricken address and phone number in that state and can show up to interviews at a moment's notice...a fact that so many do not seem to remember, admit or know), or you may find that things are hard to come by for quite a few months.

The good news is that moving to an area that has sunshine all the time means that things stay open all year round and you're not subject to things like "seasonal jobs" as a common thing. You also have a better chance to find full time employment in the state of TX than you would in other states.

Is it a good idea to move without a job? It depends on the circumstances. In some cases, yes, there are people who are moving, foolishly and blindly thinking that just by moving, their lives will miraculously and magically become fantastic. Others, who have researched things to death, have a better time and typically do alright.

Please heed some of the warnings...it is definitely much more difficult these days to move on and make things work right away...but it IS possible. The fact that you're willing to motel surf while you look shows me that you are one determined mama to make a change for the good for you and your son. Not a lot of people are willing to live like that. Some people can't. (Example, pets...and the first person who tells me that you get rid of your pets goes right on to ignore because that is NOT an option.)

Regarding your "friends" and family...your mom is your mom. The fact that she is willing to watch your son while you try this says that she IS supporting you even though her words don't say that.

Your so called friend needs to act like a friend and get her backside on a computer and start helping you find jobs or places to live. THAT is what a true friend does. They don't tell you that you're stupid and refuse to speak to you, that is not a true friend. Sign her off and work on finding new friends.

If you know what area of TX you are looking to move to, go to that section on CD and start meeting people, if you have not already done so. You never know what some of those people may be able to help you with. But don't go on there asking, from the get go, "Hey, I need work, can you get me a job?" Make actual connections and potential friends. Take the time to get to know these people. Learn about your area through their eyes, both good and bad. Talk to them. Send PMs to those you think you connect with and get to know them better.

I had long been interested in moving to Maine and I started going on to their forum well before I knew I was going to move. I wanted to get to know the people, I wanted to get to know how they thought of things, how they did things, how it looked. I wanted to know places to go, visit, live, etc. I wanted to know how Maine worked. Maybe I would love it more, maybe I would think it wasn't for me...but I had to talk to the people first.

As time went on, I found myself in a situation that meant a move would be imminent. And I went on to that forum and asked the people that I had been talking to, their opinions. Some of them were like some here, "you'll never make it, you'll eat dog food because there's no jobs, you're not being smart" and some people PMed me and said, "Hey, I have an idea...try this..." It was because of one of those PMs that I found a job.

Keep talking to the people you know who live there, your friends and cousins, keep looking around for jobs, keep applying, keep saving and, again, if you haven't already, start getting to know the people on CD in the forum where you want to live and start making connections and friends. It will definitely help you in the long run...even if you don't have one of them tell you, "Here's a job for you", friends are always good to have in your new city.

I wish you the best of luck and know that while yes, some people do not make it, some do. The good thing is that you have a place to fall back on. It may not be the ideal place and it may be hard to go home with your tail tucked between your legs IF that happens but it's much better than NOT having a place to fall back on...I assure you. See, some of us, we don't have that anywhere but we still go for it and we still succeed. It is harder, it is scarier, it is a LOT more stressful, but we do it and so can you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues