Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 PM

14 posts, read 30,074 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am saving to move out of state and I have two options before me. I am torn between two decisions, any input would be appreciated.

My mother is aging and her sister just died this year. I have not been able to spend much time with her in my life beyond my teen years. I am not sure how long she will live as she has had health problems in the past though she is in stable condition right now. I do not want to regret not having spent time with her. She lives in Florida. This is the first scenario, that I go to FL. However, there are some issues I am concerned about:

1). The economic situation (not being able to find a job there). I know someone there who has been out of work for a year. Since I am not married and do not have an additional financial resource, if it doesn't work out it I could end up in a difficult situation.

2). My side income is doing makeup artistry / photography. However, I need a specific liscence to do makeup in the state of Florida. Which means I would need to go to a school for about 3 months. The option that is most affordable does not have hours that are in harmony with a 9-5 job. I can't afford to live on a part time income to be able to go to school. I need to get a full time job. *(Not to mention doing makeup artistry / photography is not something I really love anyway, and if I did get the liscence, I saw that people with that liscence median are paid a little bit more than half of the salary I current make (I'm up north.)

Benefits about Florida are also hot weather which I like, and I know people there already.

The second scenario is that I move to Nashville. It is my dream and heart to get into the music industry. This is what I feel most at home doing and what I want to do with my life. Because the area is very entertainment focused, it is more likely I will be able to find work in the types of work that I do. Also it seems like Nashville is not doing as bad as Florida economically, and I may have better chance finding a job there in general. I have been working office jobs for the past decade, and though I could go get yet another office job (and I am greatful for employment in this economy, and I believe you do what you gotta do), at the same time, I am at a place in my life where I want to make a change where I will be working in my strengths. Here are the problems with going to Nashville:

1) My mom is most likely going to be reluctant to move up there, which is what I thought may be a solution. She has expressed worry about all the tornados and floods regarding me wanting to move there. She has a point about that. In Florida you get hurricanes but you get warnings, in TN you get tornados but sometimes they hit without warning.

2). I don't know anyone there so it may be harder to settle in from lack of having a network, but I am pretty independant and think I could make it work.

Do I give up on my deepest life dreams? Or do I give up spending time with my mother as it may be my last years with her? I obviously would regret bitterly if I went to Nashville and she ended up passing and I did not get to spend time with her. At the same time, I don't want to look back on my life with regret that I never lived out what I most wanted to do with my life. I don't have the finances to move, and then move again. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Advice, insight and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
I would ask yourself why you haven't spent time with your mother in the past? Was it because you busted out the door at 18 and created a life for yourself, and never looked back? Or was it because you don't have much of a connection to your mother? If it's the former, then it might be wonderful getting to really know her and spending time with her! And there are entertainment opportunities in Florida, so it's not like you'd have to totally give up your dreams.

But if it's because you two don't have much of a connection? You might move down there, get settled, and then find that you rarely see her anyway.

If it was me, I might move to Florida for a few months - and let her know upfront that's your plan - and forget the side job during that time, since it wouldn't be worth getting a license for just a few months. Get a job that doesn't require a license and spend as much time as you can with her and see how it goes. If you fall in love with Florida, and love being with your mom, you can extend your stay as long as you like. But if you hate it, and if your mother seems fine without you there, you can move on to Nashville - knowing that you gave it a shot!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Your mother may live for many years. I think you should live your life, do what you want, but make room for her, too. Go where you want and do your life and travel to see her as much as you can in Florida.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
I think you should go to Florida and be near your mother right now...the most important thing you said was that you don't want to regret not spending time with her.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
Where do you live now and what made you decide now to move to either state?
Have you looked online at job opportunities in both states and started to apply? I know it is hard being out of state to get an interview but you never know and may give you more direction. In Nashville would you have to get the degree to do make up? I understand you want to fill your dream in the music industry but how will you make money there till then?
Can you talk to your mom about this?
I think only you can make this choice. If you move to Nashville could you and your mom both plan more trips? Maybe if you see each other every couple months? I know its not the same but a thought I had.
Another thought is to get short term furnished rental for a few months and see what it brings. I am not sure how many items you have where you are now but if you sell them and just fill your car up you would have more flexibility with moving again

Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,570 times
I have lived in Nashville for the past 20 years. I am leaving to move to Las Vegas in about nine week. Honestly? While the recession has hit every state in the nation, Nashville seems to have more jobs than other places do. Nashville is not that far from Florida. People here fly down there for weekends etc all the time. No reason you cannot move to Nashville, and fly down to see your mom once a month or so. Yes, we have had lots of tornadoes these past few years. I hope the cycle has passed. I lived here for 17 years with nary a strong wind give or take a tornado or two. These last few years have been horrific! My entire street was wiped off the map by a tornado a few years ago, and every year since then we have been slammed by them. But these things historically go in cycles and once this one ends we probably will be tornado free for a long time. Flooding? Yes, it happened last year but it was an anomaly.
i am moving to Nevada because I am from CA and I HATE HATE HATE the humidity here. I am tired of tornadoes. We have six billion species of bugs and the past few winters have been long, cold and filled with snow and ice.
No thanks. Going home west to the dry heat, low bugs, no tornadoes and no snow.
But if you love Nashville, you should move here. You will be able to find a job imo.
The music industry thing..... well, my daughter in law went to high school and hung out with Taylor Swift (we actually live in a Nashville suburb called Hendersonville). We had Johnny Cash, Reba, my son went to school with and hung out with Lorrie Morgan's kid Jesse etc etc but for every success in the area there are hundreds if not thousands who never even get a foot in the door.
Come with your dream, but have a back up plan. Nashville is the music capital of the nation and there are lots of venues and opportunities here to play local houses etc. even if you never make it big. But make sure you have a way to support yourself outside of music or you will never make it here.
Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
My Mother drives me crazy. I send her money when she needs it, call her a couple of times a week, and we visit at Christmas. I think that is sufficient. Live your life, not your Mother's life.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset7 View Post
The second scenario is that I move to Nashville. It is my dream and heart to get into the music industry. This is what I feel most at home doing and what I want to do with my life. Because the area is very entertainment focused, it is more likely I will be able to find work in the types of work that I do.
After reading the above, the answer seems simple to me. Any other alternative appears that you will be giving up your dreams. I don't know your mother and can't tell what she would say, but I know my own mother would want me to follow my dreams if I were in the same position as you.

Move to Nashville and try to find time to visit your mother on some frequent basis, or have her visit you. Good luck with your dreams!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,955 times
I would be scared about job prospects in FL if I were you. The unemployment rate for FL overall is 10.6% and it just want UP, not down.

There is a lot of competition for other jobs as well, so don't plan on being able to land even a low-paying/ get by for now job easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues