Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,943 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know I planned for and wanted this move. I am thrilled our house sold. I told hubs renting an apartment for six months before we can make the move to FL would be fine (wanted to get our house on the market as soon as possible due to fears of the housing market)..... and I can't wait until we live full time in our very nice condo in FL.

But now that we are in the actual process of moving out of our 5,000 sq ft home, about to re-lo cube things to FL, and hauling some necessary stuff to the apartment we're renting... I am sooooo sick of boxes, packing, unpacking, organizing, cleaning, hauling, selling, donating, dealing with idiots at utility companies and post offices, boxes, more boxes, taping, packing, garbage, and did I mention BOXES!!!

OMG this is so much freaking work! It's like never ending!! I will never again buy so much STUFF! It's ridiculous!

I just need to vent. Anybody else going through the process now and finding it utterly exhausting??

Any tips for stress management? lol I know it will eventually be over, but my gosh, the actual process SUCKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Well, we've moved 9 (10?) times in the past 15 years (all over, including to Japan and back) and the husband just came home the other day talking about taking another overseas posting so I know how you feel.... It's not as stressful for me because I've done it so many times so it tends to go pretty smoothly.

Things we've learned..... Stay at the nicest place the budget will allow for the nights you have to stay in a hotel. Get a suite is possible. Eat "real food" - after a couple (heck, a day!0 of junk food and takeout - I start to feel not so hot.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM

23 posts, read 42,100 times
It really does...I have moved more times than I can actually think bout at the present time, but most were corporate moves so they were actually not all that bad, thinking back to when we were younger and had to pack things ourselves and actually drive it to whereever we relocated too, now that was awful.
I would try to keep in mind that it will pass, and before you know it, your be settled in, try to think of it as an adventure!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Just moved in 3 weeks ago... thought I was going to lose my wits near the end. So tired of finding boxes, I started buying plastic bins....and TAPE! It IS work, just don't get paid-well maybe with your trade-off new location!

Do not look ahead, just pack today and take breaks when you need them. Being single, I packed each and every item that was moved...took months. I used tiny treats for when I finished at day's end. And no work at night-recovery time!

OK, fast forward to now...I just went for a beach walk and then fed the birdies on my deck....the move experience is fading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Okay, I know I planned for and wanted this move. I am thrilled our house sold. I told hubs renting an apartment for six months before we can make the move to FL would be fine (wanted to get our house on the market as soon as possible due to fears of the housing market)..... and I can't wait until we live full time in our very nice condo in FL.

But now that we are in the actual process of moving out of our 5,000 sq ft home, about to re-lo cube things to FL, and hauling some necessary stuff to the apartment we're renting... I am sooooo sick of boxes, packing, unpacking, organizing, cleaning, hauling, selling, donating, dealing with idiots at utility companies and post offices, boxes, more boxes, taping, packing, garbage, and did I mention BOXES!!!

OMG this is so much freaking work! It's like never ending!! I will never again buy so much STUFF! It's ridiculous!

I just need to vent. Anybody else going through the process now and finding it utterly exhausting??

Any tips for stress management? lol I know it will eventually be over, but my gosh, the actual process SUCKS!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Just moved in about a month ago and will be doing a major down south move in about 10 months and believe me I know how you are feeling . I was almost ready to cry when the move in was done and now Im sure I will be ready to cry again when moving out from here and into another place , I hope the next rent will be the last rent we will be ready to buy .

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,518 times
My family and I just moved...there is really no end in sight to your work....even when everything is "unpacked" you will still be spending most of your weekends organizing etc. Sometimes the best part is looking back on your hard work and seeing your new home come together nicely. Best of luck don't forget to stop and breathe every once and a while

Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,125 times
Here's a tip I learned the hard way: be real about what you want to keep, BEFORE you pack it up and move it. Sucks to decide you have a bunch of stuff you don't want and end up craigslisting/garage saling/donating it, AFTER you've already packed it all up and moved it across the country. If you haven't used it in over a year, it better be pretty dang special to keep carting it around with you.

This could be particularly useful in your case, assuming the condo is much less than 5000 sqft.

I hated moving too, I declared that next time I will just sell all my stuff and buy new stuff once I get there! I know I didn't really mean it, but at the time I think I did.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Here's a tip I learned the hard way: be real about what you want to keep, BEFORE you pack it up and move it. Sucks to decide you have a bunch of stuff you don't want and end up craigslisting/garage saling/donating it, AFTER you've already packed it all up and moved it across the country. If you haven't used it in over a year, it better be pretty dang special to keep carting it around with you.
During our last move we moved a bunch of stuff that we ended up giving/throwing away. It's a good way to learn what not to keep. Did that on a cross country trip, too. The whole spare bedroom set ended up going to a charity...

Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM

24 posts, read 92,323 times
After a year on the market, our house finally sold - with 3 weeks to closing & a scramble to find a rental home by 6/23. I had already gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but boy, there's nothing like a deadline to get you tossing/donating items! I even had a garage sale. We are downsizing as well & figure that after 6 months in a 1000 SF apartment, we'll get an idea of how much space we really need when me make the final move (also to Florida).

I've found that updating my list at the end of each day (and usually adding to-do items for the next day!) helps clear my mind so I can relax for an hour or so in the evening. A little fresh air - even just a 5 minute walk - helps as well And when I'm really feeling stressed, I remind myself that we made the choice to make the move(s) and that this is a big step toward our final destination.

Take care!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:07 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,943 times
Good morning fellow packers and unpackers

I'm glad some of you could relate, and thank you for the tips. I also see we are not alone in a two step move. Not that we want to move twice, but when selling a home is part of the process there is just no way to predict when that will happen. We didn't want to wait until "we" were ready and then be stuck sitting on the market, so here we are!

In some ways, this small apartment will help us adjust to the condo, I think... although the condo is bigger, about 1900 sq ft. It's been strange walking around this apartment, and I miss the nice views we had at our house, but the relief of the sale is worth it.

Today the relo-cubes get delivered... they said between 12-4 so I'll be heading back over to the house to wait on them. All that is left in the house is the furniture we are taking to FL. We got rid of 75%... but a few items seemed worth the cost to move. Of course hubs and I are disagreeing about a few items. He is still insisting we take our elliptical that mostly gathers dust, and I'm still hoping he will change his mind when he starts loading!

June 21 we will fly to FL to be there for the cube delivery. We decided to hire some help on that end since it will be just the two of us and the condo is on the fourth floor. After 9 days we will fly back.... I figure by the 4th of July holiday I can be sipping a cold one and watching the fireworks with no more packing/unpacking ....... until December, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues