Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,553 times

Advertisements

This is a desperate plea for support. My clenched jaw says it is time to reach out for help from the friendly, anonymous internet.

I will be moving cross country, NC to CA, this fall. Move dates are completely flexible but were originally set for the 1st week of August.

I'm completely stuck. After crunches 100's of numbers, quotes, and permutations, the cost appears to range from $500 - $6000.

$500 = plane ticket for self and pets & guest PLUS added costs later of buying all new everything

$3500 - $6000 = moving all of my stuff out there (and I have a fully furnished down to the last silicone spatula home)

For those of you who have completed a similar move, do you have any wisdom to pass along? Anything you'd do differently this time? Any preferred method of getting this done in the least painful way possible?

Complicating factors:
  • a disabled pet who could die from the drive or the plane ride if either hit any sort of difficulty
  • have never driven a rental truck anywhere, much less from NC to CA in the summer/forest fire/tornado season
  • am pretty much terrified of flying, can do it, but not without major anxiety, ex -- would buy 2 seats on plane just so no one hears me breathing nervously
I would ideally do this as cheaply as possible. I'd also like my cat to live through the journey. The vet has no recommendations about the best choice for her health and says either will be fine as long as there are no serious delays/breakdowns/turbulence, etc.

Thank you for your help with this move. I don't have family to consult and my friends are almost all locals to this area and have never made a move like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,472,848 times
If it helps we moved from Alaska to Indianapolis with three cats and we all survived. I am not sure how we made it all happen so fast but it went well. We took what would fit in a big station wagon, 300 pounds of shiped frieght and our luggage/pets.

I would evaluate your stuff and honestly figure out what it is worth and whether you have the time to replace it where you move. If it is good quality!!! and you can get it in one truck and you would not have the time to do more than move it into housing at the new place, then rent the truck and enjoy the drive. Your pet will do find next to you in the cab. My husband flew to Seattle and picked up our station wagon and then drove to Indianapolis with them. I flew all the way with another cat.

Dont worry about tornados, fires, etc. They are all very limited in scope and location. You will likely see nothing and the hardest part will be the boring plains driving. Always best to take a friend to keep you awake and share the driving but many have done it themselves. When you stop, pick a good hotel (even plan ahead) and park right near the lobby. Dont try and do 12 hours a day driving. It is exhausting.

Biggest recommendation: Get rid of anything not necessary. Do not take stuff that you can replace by checking our craigslist or consignment shops. Plastic stuff and old clothes can be left. Remember, you can take this move to start fresh.

I know I have no right answer but a move can be an exciting change. That is what we found.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:47 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
old clothes can be left.
Clothes actually take up so little room to move, I wouldn't worry about going through your closet - just pack it all. Sure, if you aren't emotionally tied to your clothes, and if you know for sure you'll never wear them again - then toss them. But if you have any doubts at all, the job could turn in to an overwhelming task - and frankly it's just not worth it.

If big things like couches and chairs and other furniture are older and past their prime, I'd find them a new home. That frees up lots of room in the truck! If you can leave your refrigerator behind, and your washer and dryer, great! Get rid of lamps you no longer use or exercise equipment or anything bulky and heavy. And go though your books - they're heavy, and while it may seem easy to move a few books, when you have dozens it adds up.

As for your cat, I wish you lots of luck - and a smooth drive! Travel is stressful for pets, but if she senses that you're okay, and in control, and calm, hopefully she'll be okay, and the trip will be peaceful!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Okay, I did this...and the best plan for me, was to get rid of most of the stuff, it seemed to me to cost more to move than to buy new. I got my stuff down to one small u-haul trailer, that could be pulled behind my SUV. The cat was fine, in a carrier for the trip. That was pretty cost effective. But I will admit to being a nervous wreck driving, I was the slowest on the road.

If you can afford it, this is what I would have done if I had more money. Pack everything in a CUBE, the ones they leave at your home for a few days, sell the car, fly there with your cat, under your seat, the cat will be fine, you do have to buy a plane ticket for the cat. Rent a car at the airport, go stay at the hotel, while you find your new place, and your stuff is coming on the moving van. I think that would be the least amount of stress for you, and your cat. But it costs more.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:08 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Throw or give away or sell as much stuff as you can before the move. Look into a relo-cube like U-Pack. They bring it to you and I think you have 1 week to pack it up. You could hire loaders, too, to do it and at the other end, too. Craigslist has loaders/unloaders, but get someone with references or use loaders from a reputable mover. Call around. I've found loaders are about 50/60 hour? approx. for 2 people; some have a minimum of 3 hours. You could stay in a hotel till your stuff gets there from the Relo-cube. They give you the days it takes to get to your new location.
I moved with 3 cats, 1 dog and 2 lop ears years ago, but they were healthy/younger at the time. We drove and I wouldn't do it again. If I move again, it's relo-cube all the way.
Pets do sense your emotions so try to be calm (Rescue Remedy by Bach Flowers might help you and your pet before and during trip;you can put it in her mouth with a dropper day before trip and morning of trip/after, etc.).
Organize everything with lists before hand. You can send your car via DAS or other auto transport place. Their rates aren't too bad.
Good luck.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
This is a desperate plea for support ... My clenched jaw...
Indeed it is.
The moving questions and choices are just a symptom of the real problem.
I hope you're dealing with that with a professional.

Quote:
I will be moving cross country, NC to CA...
Anything that won't fit into a common sized cardboard box gets sold at whatever price you can get...
or is given away to charity or sent to the dump. Be brutal and do it fast. Don't obsess over each item.

Everything else that can be put into those cardboard boxes? Do so.
Unless that pile of boxes is so outrageously large... have the whole pile of boxes put into a truck and sent to CA.
...or thin out the pile and dispose of them in NC along with the bigger things. Send the balance.

Then drive meandering-ly slow across the whole country until you get to California.
Leave NC before it gets cold.

Get rid of the cat too.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,553 times
Thanks so much you guys. This really helps me just to hear from others who have made a similar move. (I can't imagine a move to/from Alaska...my brain would break)

I did a ton of quotes and made a dozen calls on Friday and the cheapest, most personable folks seem to be the ABF Upack people. Though, I was a little troubled at the disparity in quote from Friday to today with basically the same information. (Was a $500 difference)

Thanks for the votes of confidence on moving the cat as well. The farthest journey I've made with a pet is 450 miles. I suppose, if we do drive, breaking it up into trips of that size would be tolerable for us all.

I like the flying/cube idea. I like the driving/seeing the country idea. I am "this close" to hiring people to do a full move just because I'm split between a few commitments right now and time is sneaking up on me. I've set a deadline to make the decision by tonight after my fella talks to his work about scheduling stuff.

I'm feeling a lot less overwhelmed about it today. My friends are reaching out a lot more than I'd anticipated and that's making the saying goodbye part less of an emotional burden on this whole pack your cr#p in a box part.

Again, thank you. Except for the get rid of the cat note, ha, I'll pass on that one. I really like the idea of purging my things. Seems cleansing in my thoughts... Good luck to others moving.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
If you decide to drive during the summer (or fall), remember that you will not be able to take any breaks that involve leaving the cat in the car. Even running in to use the restroom will put the cat in uncomfortable (dangerous) heat. I did the drive with three cats, but I had a friend with me, so I didn't have to close up the car during our quick stops.

If you fly, be sure your cat can go with you and stay under the seat. You'll need to make sure your carrier will fit. Don't let your cat go as cargo, because in August it will be too hot. (The airline won't allow it.)

Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Okay, go to the CAT thread, there is lots of information about moving, and flying with cats. I think that you have chosen the BEST option for you and your cat. I did that on my last move, Beau and I flew to Miami, my kids drove my stuff from SLC. It was pretty stress free for me.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Agree with Jasper...but if you do drive....I recently moved out of state with 4 cats. Did not want to leave them in a small carrier the entire way, so thanks to CD post this is what I did:

bought a soft-sided pet pen (mesh and canvas) with a zip on top and bottom. Big enough for the 4 and a small cat box w/lid and fit in back of suv. I opened it a week or so before the trip so they could explore it.

Well trip day....at first they were anxious but as soon as we were on the road, they all conked out...no problems at all~ I did stop for lunch, left the windows cracked of course. I also used Feliway spray prior to moving....

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues