Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

I have completely checked out of my current city on every level, except for the fact I still own a house here. I don't have a job and it's bad everywhere (where I'd want to live), so I guess it doesn't matter where I go.

If it were not as is, I'd return to CA but the unemployment rate is just too high and it's just too expensive. I left almost eight years ago and I know it's changed and not for the better. I read articles on my former town where I lived and it's been ruined by crime and other things. It was the only place I could afford to live at the time, but at least I had a plan. Work in San Francisco and commute and make some money on a house.

I've thought about Texas and NM, but neither of those states really appeal to me. I've thought about OR and that's what I am leaning towards, but it's because it's familiar, I lived in Portland briefly and I love the coast. I question whether I can handle the weather due to SAD, which I've had my entire life. Seattle is out because it is too expensive and too competitive and my resume has gone down the tubes living where I do.

I don't want to go anywhere where it's really cold, so that leaves my home state out. I don't want to go anywhere I have no connection whatsoever to, so that leaves everything east of the Mississipi out.

I really know I need to move on, but it's awfully tough at this age (51) alone. Lately I've taken to sleeping during the day, which I know isn't going to get this house ready for sale, but I guess it's an escape and truth is it's too dang hot to do much of anything. Can't go in the garage - too hot. Can't clean out the shed - too hot. The only time of day I can do this is at 5 a.m. so I guess that's when it will have to get done.

Anyway, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Staying here has gone beyond bearable and I don't think I can take one more summer of this heat and, like I said, I have completely checked out of living here. Now comes all the hard work and logistics. It would be much easier if I knew where I was going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Have you posted like this before? Seems I remember the same woes for you. I moved to a different state, to the coast, after a divorce. It took all I had emotionally & physically to clean out the house & other bldgs on the property. Multiple donations to area agencies and then called 1-800-Junk for removal of the rest. It was SO worth it!

Now: the way I made my decision, which is just MHO, was to investigate, visit and then purchase a property where I had previously loved to vacation.

And: likely the PNW would exacerbate SAD. You KNOW rain and chilly and GRAY days are h*ll when you have SAD.

Best wishes---stay out of bed during the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I have completely checked out of my current city on every level, except for the fact I still own a house here. I don't have a job and it's bad everywhere (where I'd want to live), so I guess it doesn't matter where I go.

If it were not as is, I'd return to CA but the unemployment rate is just too high and it's just too expensive. I left almost eight years ago and I know it's changed and not for the better. I read articles on my former town where I lived and it's been ruined by crime and other things. It was the only place I could afford to live at the time, but at least I had a plan. Work in San Francisco and commute and make some money on a house.

I've thought about Texas and NM, but neither of those states really appeal to me. I've thought about OR and that's what I am leaning towards, but it's because it's familiar, I lived in Portland briefly and I love the coast. I question whether I can handle the weather due to SAD, which I've had my entire life. Seattle is out because it is too expensive and too competitive and my resume has gone down the tubes living where I do.

I don't want to go anywhere where it's really cold, so that leaves my home state out. I don't want to go anywhere I have no connection whatsoever to, so that leaves everything east of the Mississipi out.

I really know I need to move on, but it's awfully tough at this age (51) alone. Lately I've taken to sleeping during the day, which I know isn't going to get this house ready for sale, but I guess it's an escape and truth is it's too dang hot to do much of anything. Can't go in the garage - too hot. Can't clean out the shed - too hot. The only time of day I can do this is at 5 a.m. so I guess that's when it will have to get done.

Anyway, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Staying here has gone beyond bearable and I don't think I can take one more summer of this heat and, like I said, I have completely checked out of living here. Now comes all the hard work and logistics. It would be much easier if I knew where I was going.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Its hard making a major move with so much doubt. You are sleeping during the day because you have become depressed. Been there. I can only advise you on what I did. We moved to the place that offered the best job. When I finally got my husband open to the idea of leaving our hometown (it was like pulling teeth) I was pretty damn excited. The company he worked for was going under. His paycheck bounced several times and we never knew if our medical insurance was any good. I was pretty stoked that I got Mr. Hates Change to move.

I had always wanted to move to the PNW. In his line of work though, most opportunities in his field are in the midwest where we are from. We sent out resumes to all over the country. He did many phone interviews for companies in various places including Oregon. Honestly and not sure why but the rudest interviewers were in the PNW. We even traveled to NC and was upset that the company basically were not truthful on the salary so that ended up being a huge waste of time and money. We were living paycheck to paycheck at that point.

Then out of the blue a headhunter contacted my husband about a position in a place I never would have thought of or considered. It was a few hundred mile drive and we figured we would just check it out. We only needed a day. Turned out to be a great job opportunity for him but it was in a place I did not like really. It was hard to turn down when the salary was double of what he was making. The COL is cheaper here and we own a lovely home in a nice area. I would say the reason they were so eager to hire my husband is that people simply do not want to move to a boring state. Sometimes I get blue because I havent really found my place yet, where my husband who I thought would have the hardest time adjusting, fit into this place like a glove. Go figure. The company he works for has a plant in almost every state in the country. I often ask him if he could transfer. He doesnt think he can but honestly, I dont think he seriously looked into it either. I can see why, the places I would like to live we probably cant afford. His salary would follow him but I know that we would not have the same type of home elsewhere.

So all I can say is go where the money is.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 AM

102 posts, read 578,204 times
Where you from? I am in the same boat. Currently in Phoenix. Not working and checked out ..Want somewhere new. Its super hot all the time and the only real thing keeping me here is the house. I am thinking if i dont find a job here by next week. I am going to sell allot of my things, rent the house, and zip up to Denver.. I been here 8 years and tired of the summers.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark55us View Post
Where you from? I am in the same boat. Currently in Phoenix. Not working and checked out ..Want somewhere new. Its super hot all the time and the only real thing keeping me here is the house. I am thinking if i dont find a job here by next week. I am going to sell allot of my things, rent the house, and zip up to Denver.. I been here 8 years and tired of the summers.
OMG, we have the same story! I live in Phoenix area and not working and have checked out. It is super hot all the time and the only thing keeping me here is my house, which as you know, looks bleak and prices are forecasted to just go lower. What about renting appeals to you? I really don't want the headache and have read this market won't turn around for a decade or more - likely more. I too have been here eight years.

It's changed, hah? Seems to be getting more hot each year and there is barely any transition from hot to cold. It wasn't always like this. And the monsoons are more about blowing dirt around than anything else. I've been working on my pool for 45 minutes each morning just trying to get rid of the dirt. Denver isn't on my radar. I visited once and the "vibe" just wasn't there for me. What about Denver appeals to you?

Too, as far as renting, I have a real concern over the pool. I know plenty of people who do it. I know there are plenty of children who drown. I don't want that responsibility.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have you posted like this before? Seems I remember the same woes for you. I moved to a different state, to the coast, after a divorce. It took all I had emotionally & physically to clean out the house & other bldgs on the property. Multiple donations to area agencies and then called 1-800-Junk for removal of the rest. It was SO worth it!

Now: the way I made my decision, which is just MHO, was to investigate, visit and then purchase a property where I had previously loved to vacation.

And: likely the PNW would exacerbate SAD. You KNOW rain and chilly and GRAY days are h*ll when you have SAD.

Best wishes---stay out of bed during the day!
Thanks, this week has been a bad week for getting anything done and I have been sleeping much more than usual. And I know it's going to take all I have emotionally and physically to clean out the house. Unlike you, the only favorite destinations of mine are the ones in CA or the PNW. I don't know the East Coast at all and to uproot at my age and go there might just send me over the edge. This is why I am in such a conundrum. Thanks for the tip on 1-800-Junk. What made you decide not to just have a big garage sale or did you?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
^^^

I am a fan of visiting garages sales but NOT having them! Too much time pricing, readiness planning, customers who steal or argue re price etc...and there is still something left over to deal with....

800-junk was my last refuge. By then I was SO tired I was in tears over basically nothing! They get rid of trash, broken items, etc; also they will take to donation sites any usuable items. They clean and sweep too afterwards. I had just "had it" by then and was SO glad someone had the franchise in my area. My GF did have a yard sale and was pleased so don't let my whinings stop you!!

CA has so many options......can't find a special place there??

Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times
My husband and I moved to our current city on a whim. We made the decision that we wanted to leave our old city, where we finished grad school, but didn't have anywhere in particular we wanted to move to. We also both didn't want to go back to our respective hometowns. So we were able to move anywhere we wanted. The issue was deciding where. Ultimately we decided to move to a place where neither of us had ever been to before but sounded exciting. Also, I had never lived on the East Coast before and thought that sounded interesting as well. So that's why we decided to move here. However, we knew no one here (no family or friends here) which has been extremely difficult!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:32 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I've been in that position twice. Once I moved to Jacksonville, FL because my youngest son was named Jackson. A decade later, the kids and I moved to Orlando because we enjoyed going to theme parks. No rhyme or reason to either. We always stayed in an extended stay type hotel until I got a job....then we picked a good place to work not far from where I worked. It doesn't sound like a great plan, but it always panned out. Sometimes I think we have a tendency to over-think our decisions. If we make a mistake, we can always move again later. The most important thing is getting a job.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark55us View Post
Yikes.....Lived in Tucson for 18 months...........the broilingosity factor did me in. Now in San Diego.......kinda in the same boat as the OP......trying really hard to figure out my next move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues