Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I took this from another thread here...I posted it, but then thought it might look like I was hijacking that thread, so I deleted it and started this new thread on the subject.

As many here know, I plan on moving a small amount of stuff when we sell to our Florida home. The Florida home is already furnished, so we are selling/giving, etc, most of our stuff up here....I'll mostly just be moving some boxes of tools, etc. Hardly any furniture, etc.

I guess we'll see what I do when the time comes....still need to sell the house first.
I have a big 3+ car garage, so we plan on setting aside some space and start putting the things we really want down there in one place, so I can see the cubic feet we will need.

I know our situation is unique.
1) We will not be moving that much
2) I will not need any of it quickly, I don't care if it shows up a month after we move down there.

A friend of ours used ABF, but not the relocubes. They dropped off a BIG trailer in their driveway, gave them like a week to load it, and charged them by the foot. When done they "locked in" their load with a spreadbar and two pieces of interlocking plywood. I oversaw the packing, and they told us everything survived the 1400 mile trip intact. They could not afford any other option. IMHO, I would have thrown over half of what they moved out, but that's just me.

I see now that more companies are copying the "pods" thing....Upack, Relocubes, PackRat, Pods, etc. I wonder if one is better then the other......and I wonder if I should explore other options.

Also, is their any benefit of hiring a local mover to drive your stuff to the out of state place, or hire a company that is local to where you are moving to, and thay drive out of state to come to LOAD. ( Hope I explained it right).

I'm not opposed to any option....just need to get stuff down there. I do not really want to drive a rental truck down there, but I do have sons who would....I'd just have to fly them back home. I have no idea when we will be doing this...could be as late as October.....who knows?
I'm guessing I'll have to pay more during this "peak" time.

Rikki Tikki has been quite helpful here....I look forward to his views here.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 AM

113 posts, read 449,952 times
i'd look into sending your things by way of UPS. i did this when i moved last year and it was incredibly cheap. i had close to twenty boxes and it cost about $330. i chose the cheapest shipping option, which had my boxes arrive around a week later- of course, if you want to overnight it, it'd be a fortune (for me it would have been around $1k!) i found this to be quite easy to do and since they track everything, i wasn't worried about losing my belongings. just make sure you pad the boxes real well that have any fragile items and you'll be good to go.

good luck!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey87 View Post
i'd look into sending your things by way of UPS. i did this when i moved last year and it was incredibly cheap. i had close to twenty boxes and it cost about $330. i chose the cheapest shipping option, which had my boxes arrive around a week later- of course, if you want to overnight it, it'd be a fortune (for me it would have been around $1k!) i found this to be quite easy to do and since they track everything, i wasn't worried about losing my belongings. just make sure you pad the boxes real well that have any fragile items and you'll be good to go.

good luck!
Did you pack fragile stuff via UPS, too? And, where did they deliver them to? Residence or a UPS place?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
We just moved from Michigan to Georgia several weeks ago. We decided to use ABF. As a household of 6, we ended up with 2 trailers. We filled the first trailer with furnitures and boxes (used all of 28'). The 2nd trailer is mostly odd-shaped stuff from the garage and backyard patio. This trailer only used 10' of space.

On the 2nd trailer, since we had too many odd shaped stuff like piano, bikes, patio furniture, grill, riding mowers, table saw, etc. It didn't fit in good so we had to use lots of ropes to tie things down before putting up the dividers.

I was afraid some things might get damaged when the load shifts during transit. One of the patio furniture has a dent in it and my bike lost a reflector. We were pleased with how we packed and how we secured the load.

No one used the remaining space on our trailer since we requested a Monday pick up from Michigan and a Thursday drop off in Georgia.

We would use them again.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
Frank, the following advice was gleaned from several articles I've written over the years about movin a small amount of stuff.

Anyone contemplating a personal relocation that involves moving between states should first consult the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Protect Your Move.gov website and download AND READ Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move

Small shipments of personal effects, miscellaneous commodities, supplies, or equipment have been a nemesis of the household goods (HHG) moving industry ever since Horace Greeley suggested Americans move west.

Their size and relatively low revenue potential dampen their appeal to both large and small, and local and long distance service providers. Shipments weighing less than 2500 lbs (roughly equal to the contents of an efficiency or small, one bedroom house or apartment) are typically a third the size of the average interstate customer’s HHG move yet they require the same degree of internal administrative effort, manpower and equipment resources as customers who pay a whole lot more to relocate.

Why does it cost so much to move?
Regardless of what’s being moved, small shipments generally require more frequent handling by a driver and crew. It takes more of them to fill up a truck. This extra effort frequently results in a higher incidence of loss and damage claims which cut into profits faster. Increased aggravation combined with low margins makes these little orders that much less desirable within the moving and storage industry.

To the property owner, however, the value of their business is only exceeded by their expectations that their relocation will be handled as expeditiously and problem free as a household that occupies a complete moving van. Most inexperienced customers moving interstate expect their small shipment to arrive within days of pick up – regardless of where they’re moving from or to. They’re genuinely shell-shocked when told it could take up to a month to receive their delivery. Neither their busy schedules nor meager budgets were planned around living out of a suitcase for an extended period.

Because of this huge difference in perspective, moving companies and van lines have historically used their pricing and transit schedules to discourage potential customers with only a few things to ship from using their transportation service. Many implement minimum weight requirements and extended service dates especially during the busier summer moving season for just this reason.

As the worldwide recession deepened, more and more companies reduced their spending by eliminating many of the benefits and perks in their corporate relocation packages. Many clients, in fact, eliminated full service benefit options to all but senior managers and above. Other transferees and new employee recruits were essentially allowed a lump sum amount with which to move themselves.

Forced to look for budget relocation options, many turned to more affordable do-it-yourself (DIY) truck rental or containerized or mobile/portable storage shipping options to move their things. Unfortunately each of these low cost services came with its own unique set of logistic challenges.

How much capacity do I need?
Regardless of the size, driving a loaded moving truck requires a certain amount of confidence and expertise, particularity if traveling long distances or having to operate it in an unfamiliar congested urban traffic environment.

Some DIYers underestimate the size of the vehicle required or find that they can’t load as tightly or densely as professional movers. Then they either have to transfer everything into a larger truck or need to rent a trailer to pull behind the vehicle that’s already loaded.

Using an unfamiliar rental truck to tow a car or trailer becomes even more challenging because of problems that inexperienced drivers have with turning or backing a longer combination unit, or knowing if they have sufficient power or braking capacity to safely negotiate roadways with steep inclines.

Mobile/portable storage or shipping containers, on the other hand, allow the DIY users more options because they’re both modular and multimodal.

Inexperienced shippers can adjust their container order up or down order depending on their space requirements. Need more, order more. Unlike the rental truck alternative, shippers don’t have to worry about how long it takes a container to get to its destination or traffic problems it encounters on the route along the way.

Most mobile/portable units are easily demountable and offer some type of free storage incentive at origin and/or destination. Some require a roll-back or unique type of lift system for pick up and delivery. Others allow four-way forklift entry or sling-hoist handling so that they can shipped via a flat-bed, or inside an intermodal rail container, spring ride freight trailer or air-ride moving van. Some can be even be shipped by air in the belly of a plane.

This option is the least understood but most appealing service capability of containerized shipping simply because of the number of logistic resources that can be used to quickly and efficiently arrange transportation.

Moving Labor
The biggest problem with using both the truck rental and containerized shipping methods to arrange a personal relocation is finding the willing, experienced labor needed to complete the job. Moving, after all, is extremely hard work.

Abundant amounts of free pizza and beer are frequently the rewards offered to those young enough or fit enough to be coerced, cajoled, schmoozed, shamed, or lovingly enticed into helping someone move. Being willing (or simply available), however, isn’t the same as being experienced. DIY moves are often characterized by unanticipated, expensive property or cargo damage or painful injuries.

Many truck rental outfits, mobile/portable storage services and container shipping companies have an affiliate arrangement with some type of labor resource. It might be with a traditional temporary labor service like a state employment agency, Manpower or Labor Ready, a virtual resource like Craigslist, eMove or Hire-a-Helper, or a more conventional partnership like PODS, uPack, or PackRate has with independent movers and/or van lines agents to hire their professionally trained crews.

Each service option has its own advantages and disadvantages but all share one thing in common. Due to numerous contractual exclusions, neither the relocation service provider nor the labor service provider is liable for problems that the shipper (that be YOU) has with their move.

And that’s the biggest risk that inexperienced budget conscious consumers assume when they decide to do it themselves.

The following references contain some additional information about the issue of vicarious liability for the acts of a loaned or borrowed servant. I'm not an attorney, so if you have questions about any of this information you should consult an legal expert.

(http://www.scottcallahan.com/articles/TTLA.pdf - broken link)
http://www.scottcallahan.com/articles/TTLA.pdf (broken link)

VICARIOUS LIABILITY FOR THE

Vicarious liability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This information is might be helpful to those shopping for moving services online.

How to calculate space when moving

Three things a virtual mover might not tell you

Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM

113 posts, read 449,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Did you pack fragile stuff via UPS, too? And, where did they deliver them to? Residence or a UPS place?
i packed fragile things and some of them broke, but that was totally my fault because i did not cushion them enough. if you make sure there's enough padding, your stuff shouldn't break. links like this will help- How to Ship Fragile Items | eHow.com they can ship everything from silverware to cars. UPS actually delivered to my uncle's business address. i'm not sure if they deliver to other UPS places.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I am shipping everything UPS. I don't have anything that breaks...(4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats), UPS will pick everything up at your home, and deliver it to their warehouse at your destination, then you call them when you want it delivered to home address. I thought about U-Haul trailer..but did not want to haul one across the country.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Thank you all...especially Rikki Tikki for that good article.
I'd consider UPS, but I think I'll have a bit too much for that, especially in weight.
I do have many boxes that are heavy cardboard and all the exact same size. I have rolls of stretch wrap. I was just given 6 brand new moving quilts.

I'll be moving mostly boxes of tools, some heavy. A pressure washer, (drained of course of any gas or water), some garden tools, some books, and a few boxes of office stuff, etc. Nothing really breakable.

Personal papers, files, etc will be packed in our car. I really think everything would fit in one ABF Relocube, or a smaller POD. Given the lack of really breakable things, the lack of needing anything quickly, etc, this may be the best option.

I'll know a lot more once I see the cubic feet of what we move.

Thanks!! Frank

Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey87 View Post

good luck!
I have used FedEx ground (not recommended) and USPS before and USPS - USPS worked very well for boxes. You can insure them too.

With FedEx ground it looked like some of the boxes had been run over and they lost 2 boxes full.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,075 times
I only have a 10 boxes I need moved. What is the best way are there any private small transport moving company's..
no UPS OR FED EX.. I had bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues