Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times

Advertisements

Hey guys;

As the title suggests; I'm selling most of my possessions and moving across the country; in the next month or two. I did some thinking, and determined moving my 1 bedroom apartment and all my possessions is not worth the expense. I'm going to sell most and buy new stuff there. Here are the details;

-Detroit, MI area to San Diego, CA.
-I'm 22, male, driving solo. No pets, etc.
-I have a Mazda 3 (4 door sedan, smallish side).
-The only things I am FOR SURE bringing are my laptop/paperwork backpack; rugby bag, hockey bag, and clothes. Everything else is optional.
-I have a full week to make the drive - so rushing is not a concern of mine.
-Everything else from my 1 bedroom apartment is going to be sold; bed, mattress, tv, couch, kitchen table, bookshelf, etc.
-Everything left over will be given to brothers, friends or parents (they'll ship snowboard, etc later).

Basically, I'm looking for advice from you as to...

-Has anyone done this style of move before? What tips do you have?
-If so; what did you sell or leave that you wish you kept?
-What would you recommend to have shipped later as opposed to bringing with?
-Any advice or suggestions are welcome! Or...if anyone has anything that they'd wonder how it worked, or wants someone else to try...feel free to suggest it and we'll see what we can arrange I'm young, flexible, and open to ideas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I am doing that myself, this weekend, getting rid of it all. Garage sale! What does not go, goes to Salvation Army. I am also sending what does not fit in the car via UPS, they will pick up boxes at your home, and hold them for you at the warehouse if you don't have an address to ship them to, after all...I am not even there yet to sign for anything.

I really think that people have way too much stuff. I am hauling things that I have not touched in three years, but still want to keep them...which is okay..

No tips, but enjoy the trip. It is just stuff. And easily replaced. See you on the road next week.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Think of it more as a summer road trip but one you just don't go home from.
Stop anywhere that looks interesting and check it out.

When you get to San Diego check that out too.
Just don't be in too much of a hurry to get there too soon.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM

I am trying to decide if I should pack my blow up bed, which cost $100, and ship it, or sell it at the garage sale...because I will have to buy the exact same bed when I get to California...in five days.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times
Jasper - I'm wondering the same thing. I'm having a bit of a rough time selling my Tempurpedic foam mattress, and thinking that I'll be sleeping on an air mattress on a floor for a while. But I just cant justify the shipping cost for the mattress.

My inflatable folds up pretty small though, and the pump is the size of my fist...so I'm not TOO worried about packing it.

MrRational - Thanks for the advice. I've been back and forth across the US a number of times for camping trips, snowboarding trips, etc. I have a few ideas in mind for this trip that I'm planning on stopping for a night or so; so I definitely take that to heart!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 PM

235 posts, read 837,338 times
I moved to a new city after university with nothing except a small suitcase with a couple of changes of clothing in it. Yes, it can be done. But if you're going to be bringing along some amenities... here's what I would suggest:

Take one cooking pot with a lid with you, a manual can opener, and utensils. That will give you something to cook with/eat out of once you have a place to stay and access to a stove (and they won't take up much room in the car). Also a metal thermos.

Something to use as a laundry bag, for those essential trips to the laundromat.

I can't think of a single other thing that you'd need... necessity is a relative concept, I guess. You can get toiletries and cheap food at dollar stores... used furniture and a microwave will be easy to get once you're at your destination. Everything else is gravy.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 AM

I am keeping a cooler in my car, a few beach chairs, a bag packed with just swim stuff, suits, flip flops, sunscreen, towels. That way if we want to stop at a lake or beach on the trip, we are ready.

I am travelling with my cat, and my son. I have a stroller for the cat, so we won't leave him in the car if we decide to do anything random.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
The most FREE I have ever felt is when I threw everything I owned into a storage unit in Berkeley, CA and took off. I paid for that unit for 5 years while I traveled the world. It was GREAT! There wasn't enough in there WORTH that much in the end but the freedom from 'stuff' was priceless.

I save things that invoke memories. A Swiss beer mug, a candle that smelled like the beach, books (I never toss books), records (I am old), letters (yeah, who writes letters anymore), art supplies (they keep getting more expensive).

At your age, it's probably better to start new. Do it (travel light) while you are young. Doing so much traveling made me realize how little you really NEED to be happy and sometimes it IS just a warm sweater.

Always thought adulthood came with the purchase of your first new couch . . that's the tipping point.

All the best!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,117 times
Hi, I am doing the exact same thing in October when I leave Nashville and head for Las Vegas to start anew. I am 54 years old, so I had LOTS of stuff. I sold and gave away everything except six small boxes that fit in my car.

box !: mementos like photo albums, love letters etc

box 2: kitchen stuff-one casserole dish, 1 baking dish, 1 small pot, 1 big pot, two sized frying pans, four forks, spoons, knives, can opener, measuring cup etc.

box 3: bed linens

box 4: whittled my books down from 300 to ten of my favorites... a mix of fiction and non fiction

box 5: Christmas decorations

box 6: misc. stuff that needs to come but does not match the other boxes.

I whittled my clothes down to seven casual outfits, two dressy outfits, undergarments and jammies. They will go on the floorboard of passenger seat in a garbage sack sitting inside a laundry basket.

My cat will be in her carrier on the passenger seat with her toys inside the carrier. Her food will be on top the laundry bag.

All six boxes fit into my trunk and back seat. On top the boxes in the back seat I packed a few wall hangings, some desk lamps, a television tray, my laptop, and some small plastic storage cases filled with odds and ends, (pens, pencils, medications, vitamins etc)

That is all I am taking and I cannot wait!!!
Good luck and like another poster here suggested...take your time. Enjoy the trip and make lots of memories along the way.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
Absolutely the best way to move. Only thing I can't part with are books which I ship USPS - media rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues