Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM

82 posts, read 167,283 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer advice on relocating and the general moving issues involved? My husband has just received a promotion. We are moving from NC to FL. We've lived in same home for 20 years, and we have the 'stuff' to prove it. LOL. We have 2 sons, one is in college, and yes he's got his things here also.
But any general advice on the other things involved with relocation would be welcome also. = schools. rental agents, insurances, DMV in Florida, etc What to do ?

Thanks for any input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
First, congrats on the promotion! Is the company helping any since it is a promotion and a relocation? There is usually a contact person that will help with the logistics such as moving company, car mover, financing for new home, realtor in new area, etc.
I presume you will sell, or are you going to rent the 20 yr old house out?

As for the sale of your home, declutter---if you haven't touched it in the last 3 weeks, you don't "need" it and pack it away. We rented a storage unit for our declutter boxes and "extra" furniture we did not need in order to stage our house. We also spent a little on painting the walls, and changing out the carpet which I imagine you will have to, if it is 20 yrs old. I depersonalized the entire house by putting up pictures cut out from magazines or just using some I had. Luckily, our realtor worked with a stager who came in and helped me use what I had and told me what to buy that I needed. Our house sold after the first showing.

When you physically drive to Florida, take your laptop/computer, and a box with all your important papers. For banking, I left the old account but knew what needed clearing. In the new city, I opened a new account w/new bank and just wrote a check from the old account into the new account and waited till that cleared then closed the old account.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Hey. There's no relo money. They used to offer it a few years ago. It's a large comapny, international even. But, he is climbing the ladder, been with company 14 years, and they have vendored out alot of jobs like so many companies are doing.
We get to pick city instead of them choosing. We are looking at NE part of state.
What type of things do most people overlook when moving. I actually own or,well, owned a small turn-key cleaning company. (Going to have to give that up). I feel pretty comfortable with the staging aspects, although due to neighborhood trends, I don't forsee it selling quickly. (Therefore, I also have post on strategic default forum.)- If you've moved before, how long did it take you to get everything accomplished? Thanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM

Oh, and I've always heard about throwing things out that you haven't used in the last year.- But the thought about 3 weeks makes so much since. Downsize. I've gotta learn quickly ! Thank you.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Expect to rent down there for the first year or so (maybe more)
Expect to have a LOT less space while doing so.

Plan to ship only your BEST and MOST valuable stuff and to dispose of the rest.
Sell the rest of your crap and bigger items if you can but don't expect to get much.
With few exceptions you'll be able replace your used NC crap and bigger items with even cheaper in FL.
(buy new upholstered items if needed)

If you really do own a LOT of crap and you're convinced it's worth holding on to...
(and you won't have space for it in the smaller rental during the first year)
do the storage thing in NC and only pay for shipping or tote it down yourself as time goes on.
(you'll be back for holidays and such right?)

Do you own the NC house?
Get the best listing agent in your zip-code but don't expect to get big money for it now.
(you'll still have to do he clean and de-clutter thing anyway)

Clean, clear and priced right... you'll sell sooner and might settle before TG; (Christmas?)
Priced wrong... you'll still have it next Easter.

hth

Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Do you think it's better and faster to do a type of auction of estate (the junk inside the house, not the house) sale ? Although I might guess the profits would be less, the time involved might also be less ? / I'm not holding out much hope on the house selling due to our past experience putting house on the market and the neighborhood. We have typical 3 bed ranch style home. / Any opinions on deed in lieu ?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida8996 View Post
Do you think it's better and faster to do a type of auction of estate (the junk inside the house, not the house) sale ?
Focus on cleaning and "staging" the house for sale... **immediately** and without delay.
Rent space at a storage center (maybe two next to each other?)
Cart EVERYTHING that you don't need to live or show the home over there.
Deal with the "stuff" AFTER you have made the house ready.

By the time you have handled everything 2 or 3 times like this...
you're desire to hold on to most will be about zero.
Goodwill will pick up.

Quote:
I'm not holding out much hope on the house selling...
It's tough.
Just have the BEST listing agent you can find trying to SELL the house...
Talk to the agent and your lender about the mortgage balance and EXACTLY how low you can go.

If you must do the deed in lieu... cross that bridge when you get to it.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:13 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida8996 View Post
Do you think it's better and faster to do a type of auction of estate (the junk inside the house, not the house) sale ? Although I might guess the profits would be less, the time involved might also be less ? / I'm not holding out much hope on the house selling due to our past experience putting house on the market and the neighborhood. We have typical 3 bed ranch style home. / Any opinions on deed in lieu ?
Have yard sales every weekend. List anything that's worth any amount on Craigslist. Only keep what you absolutely can't part with. Once you get to FL, hit up Craigslist and start shopping. Don't throw things out that can be sold. You will be so surprised how much $$$$ you can make.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues