Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone ever experienced this?...If you ever lived in a certain location, and now miss it (not specifically the people or family) I'm more interested if you identified with a particular city or town, and later regeretted moving away.... (i.e why you loved it so much....) I will give the name of the city I miss later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM

13 posts, read 43,532 times
Default I do!

I grew up and lived most of my life in the Passaic/Clifton area and moved to Sussex county 3 years ago. Yes, I know that most people down Passaic, etc., but I miss it so much!! These two towns are where most of my childhood dreams were dreamt, where friendships were fostered, where I underwent all the trials and tribulations of my adolescence, and where I raised my first 2 children. Something as little as a restaurant or a park will bring back fond memories. I wish my family had been able to stay there, but unfortunately the towns have changed so much!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 AM

45 posts, read 117,189 times
This is an interesting question and it made me think...hmmmm...missing a place, but not because of family or friends.

I know what you mean!

When I was younger, I rented a room from strangers in a waterfront house in a place called Rumsey Island in Maryland. It was so beautiful there. I have always missed living on the water and still dream about living on Rumsey Island, but don't really want to do it in real life. I'm more comfortable on the West side of the US and want to remain there - but it's fun to think about at times.

Have lived in several states. Not sure where "home" exactly is.

We definitely don't miss moving from the farm we mistakenly bought in the Midwest. Even though it was always my lifelong dream to have an acreage and a big old 100 year old Victorian house. We just didn't fit in there, anywhere - but inside the house.

But, yeah - the whole time I was there, I really did feel like I lost myself and missed California terribly...because it wasn't the right place for us.

It is not South Central Los Angeles where I was born. Don't really think about the time we lived there. It's not Orange County where I grew up. Don't think that is really the same place I remember.

Most of our lifelong friends are still in California, though.
Still have lots of contact with them via phone and email, so am not homesick or anything.

We're living in New Mexico now, and really like it here.

I feel at home, but sometimes it is hard because we could only afford a very small house (around 1000 sq feet) and we are used to living with more square footage. I don't think I could ever find a place to live that has friendlier people, though. Think that fact will keep us here.

But, still missing Maryland, still missing California...but don't think either one is "home" anymore.

If I won the lottery where would I go? To Rumsey Island? To California?

Nope, would just buy a bigger house in New Mexico.

So, I guess that's home now and the other places are fond memories.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
"home" is happening less and less. This is the new economy. You need to move where job prospects are best. Keeping the family housed and fed > "home"

employed uber alles

Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 AM

195 posts, read 538,384 times
Is it Monterey? I miss California, but I do not regret moving. I like living in Charlotte, the slower pace of life, and meeting new people who give me new ideas, and ways to look at life.
Living in the same area forever can make a person stagnant, but new locations can bring along new experiences and there is always room for growth.
Plus going back allows me to appreciate what I had before.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Moving can be a good thing, and I think growth also. Staying in the same region is just boring, IMO. There are alot of places to choose from. And my OP is talking about emotion, not the economy.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM

91 posts, read 425,852 times
Oh boy, do I know what you mean. My husband is getting a potential job offer for a VERY great opportunity (for him) work wise. It will be in San Diego but I LOVE Portland and have no desire to go back to crowded-rent-a-dump-for-exorbatant-amounts-of-money San Diego.. I grew up in So Cal.. I have no desire to go... I have lived here in Portland for 8 years... never dreamed I would go back to the "the dump" of So Cal...

I have been put in the trailing spouse position and I am not sure how this is going to work out but I just can't do the move. I KNOW I will be unhappy and miss Portland.

I'm just sick about it

Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM

106 posts, read 682,204 times
oh boy do I know what you're talking about. Last year I moved from the north thinking that I would never miss the climate. I hated the snow and longed for sunny days. I was so focused on the negatives that I jumped at the chance to move to AZ. Now I am trying frantically to get back. While I don't plan to move back to the same exact area I will be back in the North.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
I sure know what you mean! I went to college in Asheville, NC. Moved back to Fla. after college, married, had kids, started a life. I was never happier than I was in NC. It just fits me. I bugged my husband to death about moving back. For 6 years he promised we would look into it when my oldest graduated. Finally...my oldest graduated! It took us 9 months to find a job for my dear hubby but we moved in Jan. I have never been happier. It is all I remembered.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Just curious if anyone ever experienced this?...If you ever lived in a certain location, and now miss it (not specifically the people or family) I'm more interested if you identified with a particular city or town, and later regeretted moving away.... (i.e why you loved it so much....) I will give the name of the city I miss later...

Wasn't a choice...had to have a job. The only person I know is my son.
If you have a choice where you can live, you are lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues