Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I live in a region that gets the 4 seasons and quite frankly, I don't get it either!

I dread winter, do you know what I mean by dread? I mean dreaaaaad!!!

In mid-August I was already feeling that oh so annoying cool breeze at night that simply gave me goose bumps, not because of the chill but because of what it means (ie. winter is coming, hurray! NOT!)

I don't get it. I much prefer a place with one season, preferably two (summer and spring.)

I love seeing green trees, flowers, hearing the birds, feeling the warm breeze; you know, everything that is denied to me by the oh so wonderful and so long winter.

This is how I feel about it too. Oh well...it is what it is.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
I'm torn. I've only ever lived in CT. I dispise the cold weather, wind chills, and the dirty snow (freshly fallen is beautiful as long as I am inside the house; once he plows come out and sand, I'm over it - it's just ugly). I HATE with a passion wearing coats and having to bundle up.

I love wearing shorts, flip flops, siting outside in nice weather.

Yet I think fall is beautiful and know I would miss it if I didn't have it.

If my job said to me "we're transferring you to CA/TX/FL/Hawaii" I would jump at it. I know I would miss the fall, but my love of summer and hate of winter would get me through it.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I'm torn. I've only ever lived in CT. I dispise the cold weather, wind chills, and the dirty snow (freshly fallen is beautiful as long as I am inside the house; once he plows come out and sand, I'm over it - it's just ugly). I HATE with a passion wearing coats and having to bundle up.

I love wearing shorts, flip flops, siting outside in nice weather.

Yet I think fall is beautiful and know I would miss it if I didn't have it.

If my job said to me "we're transferring you to CA/TX/FL/Hawaii" I would jump at it. I know I would miss the fall, but my love of summer and hate of winter would get me through it.
There are places such as NC, SC, GA that you can move to that have all four seasons. The winters are brief with little to no snow. You have a long fall and spring. The summers are hot and humid for a few months. You could still have your fall with the changing of the leaves.

FL is nice for part of the year but the other part can be brutal with the heat. I say from late October to April it's very nice. May until Sept/Oct is very hot. One good thing is that everything is air conditioned. I live here now and miss the seasons sometimes, especially fall. I don't care for the cold though. It even gets cold here in the winter but it's very bearable.

We moved to FL from PA so I can definately relate to you. Would I rather be in FL or PA? Definately FL hands down. Ultimately, I'd like to be up north for the summer and down south for the rest of the year.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
Beckycat - I agree. I've never had a problem with Florida summers, BUT the longest I spent there in the summer (end of July through middle August) isn't the same as living it.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
Having four seasons is great. When we run out of things to grumble about, we can always complain about the weather.

So true !

Coming from the upper Midwest, where we definitely have 4 season weather, a weather conversation takes place on every street corner, every elevator, every office water cooler, every lunch room....dozens of times a day for most of us.

If weather conversations are seemingly ubiquitous where you live, that generally means you don't have very nice weather much of the time. Similar to your general state of physical health, weather typically only becomes a subject when it's bad. People in good health don't talk about their health much, people in nice climates don't talk about their weather much....unless they have recently moved there from a typically bad weather place. People in poor states of health have frequent conversations about health issues, and people in frequently bad weather areas have frequent conversations about their weather. If it's a pleasant day, they will talk about it because it's a relatively rare event.

So you can do you own "scientific" study to see if you and your fellow citizens in your area, or another area if you travel, truly like the climate mix (4 seasons or whatever is present in that area). If they talk about weather multiple times a day, they probably aren't a true fan of the climate mix. If you rarely hear a conversation about the weather, they probably do indeed like the climate mix as it is.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:56 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
We have: Snowbird season
Spring break season
Beach season
Football season

Today it was a cool 72, tomorrow it is supposed to be warmer, no problem with that.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,572 times
I think a factor may be what you experienced when where you grew up. I grew up in NJ, and moved to SoCal after college. Even after 39 years of living in SoCal I miss having 4 full seasons. It does not feel right to me for it to be 70-80 degrees at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I find the lack of any real change in the seasons to be boring. I think growing up in a place with 4 seasons can leave a fairly significant imprint on you that some people don't get over.

We'll be moving to north Idaho in a few months now that I am retired.

Dave

Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,156 times
We have four seasons here in New Orleans - -

(1) hot and rainy
(2) hotter and rainier
(3) October - - perfect, gorgeous weather
(4) chilly (or hot), and rainy

I like just the amount of seasonal change in weather that we get here. I do not feel confident about freezing weather because I am not used to it. But, it's fun when it gets down in the 40's in wintertime, which it sometimes does.

I'm glad it doesn't stay cold like that for too long! It just cools us down after a long hot summer, so we can brace for the next one. And, by the end of winter I am always glad when it warms up a bit.

I enjoy watching the change of seasons, especially now that I am growing older. How lucky we are!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM

446 posts, read 708,992 times
In Minnesota you get half a year of winter.

In Seattle you get nine months of rain.

In Phoenix you get 9 months of summer.

BO-RING.

I love having a new season every three months.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Don't like 4 seasons at all. Grew up in it. Seemed like all we did was wait for summer, then live in the cold the rest of the year. I can remember in August feeling like I was getting ready to loose my best friend, again (the Sun). Arizona was too much sun, though. I prayed for cloudy days (maybe 7-8/year). If I had to choose, however, it'd be the sunny climate hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues