Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,757 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I have. Got rid of everthing that wouldn't fit into a 26' U-Haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
No but wish i could. I have no savings though. I have had a bachelors in marketing for four years and cant get a job in indiana. I work at a warehouse now. I have been considering north cal, arizona, las vegas, Seattle. , dc, and denver. Lol lots of diff places and i have no fam there (except vegas.....cousins and aunt live there but unemployment is high and not my first choice). Hard to save for a move when u make ten dollars an hr....ugh..i will figure somethin out.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 PM

68 posts, read 225,853 times
So funny, I was thinking about posting something like this myself and found this thread... My question was going to be how it has worked out for those who have done that....

Anyway, my wife and I are currently emptying our house to move across country in our Silver Eagle coach conversion. We are in NC now and are headed to Arizona. I am self employed and do business through the internet, so job hunting is no concern.

I would only caution people that are thinking they can instantly change their life that they cannot run away from themselves.

Marc

Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Yep. I was out within an hour and he came home from his vacation with little miss blondie to an empty house. By then I was way long gone.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 PM

111 posts, read 265,730 times
When I was 27 (and single), I packed everything I could fit into my 1981 Datsun 510 hatchback and moved from California to Colorado, sight unseen. I had no job, no friends or family, no place to live. I'm still here 19 years later. That move was one of the best things I ever did.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 PM

It's kind of funny if you think about it, but how many people have actually chosen where they are living? What I mean is if you live where you grew up, you really didn't choose to live there... Oh, I suppose you could say you have chosen to stay, but I think what I am saying is clear...

I was born and raised in Maine then my family moved to Charlotte, NC. After 22 years I had to ask the question... "Why am I still here? I have never enjoyed living here" I have never lived anywhere "on purpose". So we are going to Arizona after the first of the year. No family there, just one friend but not in the town we are looking at. I am excited about it.

Marc

Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Woops... deleted. Wrong thread.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I did. I got rid of half my closet which was really nice. It didn't work out where I moved, but man that sure was liberating. You never realize what you're capable of until you do a complete 180 in life.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
You never realize what you're capable of until you do a complete 180 in life.
I think that's a big part of it. Sometimes old friends, acquaintances and even sometimes family can get you into a rut and it can affect the way you even see yourself. If you burn your bridges, it's sink or swim baby!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:56 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman View Post
So funny, I was thinking about posting something like this myself and found this thread... My question was going to be how it has worked out for those who have done that....

Anyway, my wife and I are currently emptying our house to move across country in our Silver Eagle coach conversion. We are in NC now and are headed to Arizona. I am self employed and do business through the internet, so job hunting is no concern.

I would only caution people that are thinking they can instantly change their life that they cannot run away from themselves.

Marc
Hi! I've been following your 'journey' on the AZ board and wish you all the luck. You'll HAVE to spend some time in the Verde Valley when you get here. It's a really interesting and good place to visit/live. I know because I have lived here, off and on, for 67 years.

I have simply packed up and moved any number of times, mostly following a husband for his job...same as my mom did. It's true...you can never really go "home" because "home" is mostly in our memories. The reality/changes can be disturbing, as it was to me for a long time, but I accepted it all and still love "home". The good thing is that I did either come home to visit, or live for various amounts of time, so I saw things change gradually. Still wish it was like it was when I was a kid though.

Wanted to say the bolded part of your post is soooo true and I am glad that none of my moves were attempts to "run away" from myself. My last move, over six years ago, landed me 'back home', back with family and all that's familiar to me. I won't be leaving again...I don't think. If I do it'll just be back to the mountains of AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues