Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:23 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times

Advertisements

I am an animal lover but reality sometimes is not black and white so I understand your dilemma ... try to leave your bunny with someone temporarily maybe...one never knows what type solutions time could bring...and if it's just temporary, people are liable to help out quicker...they can help look for a permanent home while caring for it...it's just an idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 05:37 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
When I was 16 my family moved from a farm in Idaho to a home in Arizona. When we got ready to move, I thought our dog Buster would climb in the car with us and go along. My mother said there was no room for a dog and we left her behind.

I pleaded with all I had, but my my mother ruled the roost (Dad had already gone ahead) and she was having none of it.

It has been 46 years since then and though I know there was nothing else I could have done, I still feel horrible every time I think about it.

I would encourage you to find a home for your bunny. Surely, a 4-H kid would love one.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
I could never move without taking my furbaby, but I am going to give you the benefit of doubt and believe that there is no way you can take your bunny.

Have you thought about asking local school systems? Both public and private, most classes have a "pet" who spends the rest of it's life in a class with children loving and caring for the pet.

I know how hard it is to move with a pet, my beloved Cassy traveled with my husband and I for years until it was time for her to move onto the Rainbow Bridge (at 15 years of age which is old for a dog, golden retriever/lab mix). We never thought twice and usually had to pay more for housing because of her, but she was part of the family.

I wish you luck in your search, please don't give up and send it to a kill shelter.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post
Please don't move this thread to the pet forum because the question is specifically aimed at people that are relocating/moving and in the pet forum when the surrender issue is brought up, they jump all over you, and post these sad stories written from the animal's point of view about "how could you do this to me". Apparently animal lovers are die hards when it comes to their 4 legged family members.

I have tried every possible means of rehoming my pet and as much as I'm dreading having to surrender my bunny rabbit, it has to be done. Nobody will take her, it's a bad economy and apparently the "no kill" shelters are at full capacity, I've been on the waiting list since mid-July. Bringing her with me across country would be a threat to her health, and it would cause lot of complications to something already very complicated. If I had my own vehicle it would be a little easier and only service animals are allowed on trains. If money was no object she could be flown at a later date, but I don't have those kind of means.

So my question is has anybody else had to surrender a beloved pet because of a relocation? How did you cope?
Is there a friend you could beg--giving her money for pet food, etc. for 6 months or so if she took her? Or, any connections at work with people who could take her? Put ads at the local Petsmart/Petco...Talk to the local vets, ask them for advise maybe...But, try to offer something (food, toys, whatever)for the adoption. It might be enough incentive to find someone willing to help.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Maybe someone can keep your bunny for awhile until you get settled, then you can come back and get her?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 PM

26 posts, read 92,353 times
I have a very close friend...who i flew out to calif from ny because of abuse going on in his family. He ended up flying out here with just clothes on his back....which meant he left behind his first cat...which he loved very much.
To this day he feels horrible. The family refused to help us fly the cat out since they were mad at him leaving...he was over 18 and they wanted him to commit welfare fraud and support them forever.
It was just a very bad situation. But he feels guilty and he just finally got another cat recently. He finished college so it has been about 4 years since he left. So it is very hard for every one.
I am one of those die hard animal lovers and i get why he had to leave ...it was getting him safe and we knew his family did love the cat and had never harmed it. The cat eventually was let out by mistake and I am sure one of the neighbors...who could hear what was going on...took his cat in.
It is a very pretty cat, Seal point....loving and the neighbors, clearly felt sorry for him and what he was endured daily ...so despite what his family says...i am positive the cat is loved and well cared for.
They told him it been kidnapped and asked ransom....his grandmother is clearly losing her mind....and when he has spoken with her it is very obvious she has dementia or Alzheimer going on.
So just try to make some peace...have you tried the school district? Or day care schools...because often they have rabbits as pets.
You might also put ad up ...not free but like $ 20.00 for your rabbit and it belongings in pet stores and vets in your area...just be careful it does not go to lab testing place.
I know you been trying ...so just trying to give you other places to try. I do not know how my friend would feel if his cat had been put down...think he really have even more guilt.
I know i would.....airlines do let you bring critters 20lbs and under on the plane with you...just go in soft crate and placed under your seat. I just know of person who took her Yorkie back east that way. So they still are doing it...You don't want to send them back in luggage because they do not get oxygen they need etc.
So if you can fly ...that is other option. I am sorry and you are right many people are having to give up pets //horses are really being let go since they cost more than like your rabbit to care for. Rescue sites are full of people who lost their jobs /homes and cannot keep their pets..so sad since that is time when kids really need their friend with them.
I am so sorry...and i have taken in few friends pets already...if I was closer i take your rabbit..maybe someone on line will see you and live in your area and adopt it! I know wishful thinking ..
But let me tell you flip side of this issue. I answered a woman who said she had to give up her wolf hybrid and retriever. 2 dogs. I have issue about people adopting wolves and expect them to be just like domesticated dogs....she was saying how wolf hybrid was good with kids...
Well once i got down to heart of the matter....she told me that if i bought her a new computer she might be able to keep both dogs!!
So....she just scamming people who care about animals....she been doing this for months now with other things....so when you meet people who use their pets to get things...well makes you upset!
but families who have lost their jobs/homes etc....of course we need to understand they cannot afford to keep their pets and i am sure it breaks their hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues