Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 PM

430 posts, read 1,259,762 times

Advertisements

Many, many years ago we had been sent to North Carolina (military). I lasted 1 year there and looked at my then husband and said "you have 9 months left, if you sign up again, your going on your own".....in fact, I grabbed the baby and bought a 1 way ticket home to "Mom" and lived with her for his last 9 months of service.....if they wanted to give the United States a "high colonic" they would of started in New Bern, North Carolina! Hated the place!!

Ozark Nana

Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,394 times
Default Moving from IL. to FL.

I am 20 years old and I have lived in Illinois in a small town of 3,000 people all my life. My parents are very controlling and always watch over every move I make. I attended a local community college 20 minutes away from home and drove there every day. I moved closer to the community college so I wouldn't have to drive 20 minutes, but my parents still talked to me every day and bought me groceries and stuff.

I dropped out after my first year (architecture wasn't cut out for me... even though I had a 3.2 GPA). and I also lost my job (I was NOT a very good waiter...) so I had to move out of the apt. and move back in with my parents (not that it was a big difference).

Well, I'm ready to move out of southern Illinois. I HATE this place. The town is so small and everyone here are jerks and is in everybody else's business. It's also like this in all the surrounding towns as well. I tried convincing my parents to let me go to college in FL but they will not let it happen. So I've decided to maybe try to get a job in FL and move into an apartment, but it seems so risky! I've been to FL. several times. I am wanting to move to Ft. Walden because I absolutely LOVE it there.

So I'm asking for some advice. How do I go about doing this? Ft. Walden, FL. is about 10 hours away, so it's not like I can drive all the way there and get an application for a job and drive back for an interview etc. Plus I will need deposits for an apartment and stuff. I have no idea how to go about this. I just want to pack up and leave, but I have no idea on how I should do it. Can somebody give me some info on how I can do this? Some of you people seem to have just packed up and left with little to no money. This is what I want to do. Can someone help me with some advice?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 PM

312 posts, read 858,016 times
i just came back home to vancouver from colorado,,lots has changed in the big city after 15 years...kinda scared....

Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,109,392 times
Default I did that onoce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster1987 View Post
I am 20 years old and I have lived in Illinois in a small town of 3,000 people all my life. My parents are very controlling and always watch over every move I make. I attended a local community college 20 minutes away from home and drove there every day. I moved closer to the community college so I wouldn't have to drive 20 minutes, but my parents still talked to me every day and bought me groceries and stuff.

I dropped out after my first year (architecture wasn't cut out for me... even though I had a 3.2 GPA). and I also lost my job (I was NOT a very good waiter...) so I had to move out of the apt. and move back in with my parents (not that it was a big difference).

Well, I'm ready to move out of southern Illinois. I HATE this place. The town is so small and everyone here are jerks and is in everybody else's business. It's also like this in all the surrounding towns as well. I tried convincing my parents to let me go to college in FL but they will not let it happen. So I've decided to maybe try to get a job in FL and move into an apartment, but it seems so risky! I've been to FL. several times. I am wanting to move to Ft. Walden because I absolutely LOVE it there.

So I'm asking for some advice. How do I go about doing this? Ft. Walden, FL. is about 10 hours away, so it's not like I can drive all the way there and get an application for a job and drive back for an interview etc. Plus I will need deposits for an apartment and stuff. I have no idea how to go about this. I just want to pack up and leave, but I have no idea on how I should do it. Can somebody give me some info on how I can do this? Some of you people seem to have just packed up and left with little to no money. This is what I want to do. Can someone help me with some advice?
What I learned from my move from Chicago - where we had two good paying jobs was it is a right to work state. The same job in Chicago that paid $15 an hour day, paid $2.38 as a night shift Manager and houseing was outrageous. That was 20 years ago. I nver returned. An insurance injuster friend of mine lived there a year before he a jpb through an in-law. This is what you will meet with no money.

I understand Southern Illinois very well. You must understand the entires US in in arecession. Moving now with NO money and NO job is very risky. Finding housing in any military town is a nightmare. Done that too.

I was under mother's thumb for anumber of years, too. When I moved out I did not have a phone. Instead I used pay phone and called home once a month and talked for three mintutes. I was very happy and after a year, I went home for a visit. It was an entirely nice time. In the end I cared for both of my parents before they died - cause nobody else would. . .
If you want to get away I suggest Peoria. Because thee are schools, and plenty of opportunity to learn and work and build a new life. There is also a lot of activities for everyone of any age all year. It is not nearly as cold as Chicago is either.

You don't have to move far away. You need to build a new life.. And rre-learn who you are, and what you can do. Architech school is tough. IF like offices you probably do very well as a parplegal. ICC uuse to offer that course - a freind taught it. You are certainly smart enough for management. You are probably smart enough to do anything you want to do - once you figure out who you are and what you want - besides out of Southern Illinois.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 AM

Default Yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Many, many years ago we had been sent to North Carolina (military). I lasted 1 year there and looked at my then husband and said "you have 9 months left, if you sign up again, your going on your own".....in fact, I grabbed the baby and bought a 1 way ticket home to "Mom" and lived with her for his last 9 months of service.....if they wanted to give the United States a "high colonic" they would of started in New Bern, North Carolina! Hated the place!!

Ozark Nana
Miliray wife with children is not the easiest life even if you like the town. I liked the benefits but not the other stuff that went it.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 AM

Default Did that too

I loved the town. Then I dound out how bad the doctors were. And then I found the low-rent, no-morals realtors would do anything illegal for a buck. I left and have zero regrets, although I do miss my Crafstman house. .

Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,494,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basaltfire View Post
i just came back home to vancouver from colorado,,lots has changed in the big city after 15 years...kinda scared....
Quite understandable. Take it one day at a time. Perhaps get involved with a group that shares an interest that you have. Computer clubs, book clubs, sports clubs, etc.

Getting involved with an active, balanced, caring church can help also.

Good luck, and tell us more of your new adventure. Perhaps we can help.

Frank D.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,595,792 times
I moved to Florida for a job-been here a year and not a fan-I don't think anything people do in life is failure or success-you make the best decision you can at the time-I'm about to move back to CO. not sure when...

Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM

839 posts, read 2,409,783 times
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to jump in.....

We relocated from Colorado to Houston for my wife's job around the first of the year. We didn't really have a choice. In this economy, one doesn't want to lose a decent job with decent benefits.....

On my part, I was hoping for more steady employment and better money. Well, that hasn't happened.. We're definitely worse off than we were. It's not that I don't like Houston, but I've decided unless our situation changes dramatically for the better in the next few months, I want to come on back home.

We had to sign a one year agreement. Once that's over, I want out.

Problem is, my wife hates Colorado. Hates it with a passion. I can only hope that she'll see we were better off and agree that going back is the best option.

Ironically, the cost of living here in Houston is supposed to be so much less expensive. For many people this may be true, but not for us. The rent on this house we're staying in is more than double our mortgage payment on the home we left. This house is decent, but no palace by any means. Sure, we saw some less expensive rentals, but they were pretty far away from work and didn't seem to be in all that great of neighborhoods.

The cost of pre-K/pre school is outrageous compared to what we paid in Pueblo. We have three kids under five. Least expensive program we've seen for five day/full day tuition is $150 per week, per child. That's $450 per week. There are a lot of places which charge more than that. The place we liked the best would run about $2400 per month.... Now, I'm sure there are plenty of people around who can afford that, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Conversely, we paid a little over $450 per month for our twin girls to attend an excellent parochial pre-K program in Pueblo. Yeah, you read that right, $450 per month for BOTH girls, not each, both..... We could swing that.....

As such, I had no choice but to take a job outside of my field which will allow me to work nights and weekends so we can avoid the cost of childcare. I never see my wife anymore...

Our situation sucks... It's not that Houston is a bad place. There's nothing wrong with Texas, but I hate it here. This sucks more than anything has ever sucked before and I want to go home!

Ok, rant over. Excess pressure vented......

Old 05-17-2011, 03:52 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,209,219 times
Strange. I have moved several times, for jobs, when I was married, and single. Just never really cared about where I lived, just that it was going to make the amount of money I wanted to make. As for my kids, they just toughed it out...which has actually made them more flexible, and have had some great experiences of living in other places, and exposure to different cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues