U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
5,105 posts, read 7,000,094 times
Reputation: 9716

Advertisements

I've probably moved about 30 or so times in the Great Lakes area and now to Iowa.

The worst moves have been to extremely small towns, like Ada (OH), which was cute! But I felt like I was in a fishbowl with everyone watching my comings and goings.

I do better in larger areas.

Some people said I'd be homesick for Ohio when I moved from Columbus to Des Moines, but so far, I've reconnected with several friends from Michigan who transferred here and a couple I knew a year or so ago is back in Ames, so we've been going to lunch, plus I'm meeting new people.

In terms of stores, Amish Country . . . much of the same. I suppose I'll miss Lake Erie this summer, but I also suspect I could get my water fix taking a boat ride on the Mississippi.

I think I'd be really homesick if I had left the Midwest. AZ is nice and warm, but there's not enough green and Portland, OR (which I love to visit!) would depress me if I lived there full time with all the rain.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 PM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,242,780 times
Reputation: 1517
Moved from NY to NC 1.5 months ago, I'm completely miserable. I'm homesick, I hate the intense heat here, and my husband and I know NO ONE here. I am beyond lonely - missing my friends and family a great deal. I am going back for a visit (and for work) in 2 weeks, 2 weeks cannot come soon enough!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,376 posts, read 5,287,070 times
Reputation: 2004
Right now it's a combination of having moved out to a town on a prairie-landscape that's at least 100-200 miles drive from anywhere exciting and crazy work hours/days that are sort of making me rethink my position.

I still think NM is a pretty cool state when you're west of the mountains or down by the border(places I'm used to/grew up in, similar to CA desert areas).
But the blandness and overall similarity to places like West TX, KS, and **gasp** Oklahoma are biting me in the nether regions.
That and there were concerns in regards to my loud exhaust ramblings in another forum that I'd think would be mitigated by yet another retreat to a different locale.(CA had too many dude-bros, this place has too many big truck country boys and Harley enthusiasts.)

At this time though, the only thing that's really keeping me here is the money I've been making.

On my jumpy days I get off, I'll attempt to venture out in a timely fashion, but spending all that off time driving gets to me.
As far as where to return to, I no longer have that option seeing as how I pretty much burned too many bridges back in CA.

Only thing I could do right now is one of two things;
1)Keep browsing my companies website for job openings in cities I'd like to transfer to.
2)Put in apps with different companies located in a different part of the state(preferably ABQ) and call/wait for a call.

As much as I'd like to leave, reason usually kicks in and keeps me from packing up until I've got some proper work lined up.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,000 times
Reputation: 18
Moved from San Diego to Colorado. We've been here 16 months, bought a house, and I'm still not settled or acclimated. It's not that Colorado is awful, it's very beautiful, it's just working for me. The worst part is that my wife is now unsettled and depressed about the uncertainty. We're empty-nesters and really don't want to move again, but that may be the only way to solve this. Would take any wise, sage counsel. God help us!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM
 
10,864 posts, read 12,342,101 times
Reputation: 15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInColorado View Post
Moved from San Diego to Colorado. We've been here 16 months, bought a house, and I'm still not settled or acclimated. It's not that Colorado is awful, it's very beautiful, it's just working for me. The worst part is that my wife is now unsettled and depressed about the uncertainty. We're empty-nesters and really don't want to move again, but that may be the only way to solve this. Would take any wise, sage counsel. God help us!
My advise, from what I've experienced, is to get out! No matter how you rationalize a move or a place, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't. You might like the beauty of the area, etc., but that doesn't equate to a place that's "home." I think when a move is unsuccessful or worse we try to salvage it, not move on, after all we just moved. But, I think 16 mths. is enough time to know you don't like it. My move before this one, I knew was wrong within 2-3 weeks. I immediately started planning my way out. Took a year and that was that. I felt kinda stupid, I should have known better than to move to this place (hindsight), but it's water under the bridge, hard lessons we all have to learn. You do learn a lot about yourself and your needs from moving. Good luck on your next move.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,242,780 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My advise, from what I've experienced, is to get out! No matter how you rationalize a move or a place, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't. You might like the beauty of the area, etc., but that doesn't equate to a place that's "home." I think when a move is unsuccessful or worse we try to salvage it, not move on, after all we just moved. But, I think 16 mths. is enough time to know you don't like it. My move before this one, I knew was wrong within 2-3 weeks. I immediately started planning my way out. Took a year and that was that. I felt kinda stupid, I should have known better than to move to this place (hindsight), but it's water under the bridge, hard lessons we all have to learn. You do learn a lot about yourself and your needs from moving. Good luck on your next move.
may I please ask - where were you when you realized it was a mistake within 2-3 weeks? And if you don't mind, where did you end up?

Reason I ask? I moved to NC from NY 6 weeks ago and I am completely MISERABLE!! I fantasize everyday about packing this place up and moving - anywhere but here! (preferably NORTH, where it's not like living in an oven!)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM
 
1,122 posts, read 1,302,147 times
Reputation: 1716
Default I did the opposite than the OP.

I moved to Houston from NJ in 1978. Drove there by myself. all my possessions in the car! I had never been there, had one friend there.
Turned out to be the best thing I'd ever done.
I stayed there 16 years and loved it.
sigh...
In 1994 I returned to nj, I decided to attend graduate school. Why NJ? Don't know. I could have gone to graduate school just outside of Houston, but I decided to come back to nj.

I soon dropped out of school, and been stuck here. Now that I no longer work, and rely on a small social security, I feel like I am stuck here.

I wish I'd stayed in Houston.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,382 posts, read 15,404,781 times
Reputation: 7517
Last year I moved down from Hartford County, CT to Fairfield County, CT. It has been the biggest mistake of my entire life. I've been here for over a year now and the place doesn't feel like home at all. It feels like a temporary aberration. Everyday I am focused on thinking about leaving, but not sure where to go next. I am not going to move without a job, this time around. Certainly not at the age of 30 with limited savings. The job I currently have, however, is a pretty good one. But the extreme traffic congestion, ultra high cost of living and very fast paced lifestyle makes me realize how good I had it back home in Hartford County. I don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes I just tell myself, "idiot, idiot, idiot, what the heck was I thinking????"
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
 
4,896 posts, read 7,700,411 times
Reputation: 4752
Is it really that hard to move back to Hartford County...it's not really that far? I know it costs to move, but if you hate a place...I mean isn't it only an hour or so away?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 PM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,242,780 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Last year I moved down from Hartford County, CT to Fairfield County, CT. It has been the biggest mistake of my entire life. I've been here for over a year now and the place doesn't feel like home at all. It feels like a temporary aberration. Everyday I am focused on thinking about leaving, but not sure where to go next. I am not going to move without a job, this time around. Certainly not at the age of 30 with limited savings. The job I currently have, however, is a pretty good one. But the extreme traffic congestion, ultra high cost of living and very fast paced lifestyle makes me realize how good I had it back home in Hartford County. I don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes I just tell myself, "idiot, idiot, idiot, what the heck was I thinking????"
is telecommuting an option for you - even just a couple days a week? If so, it might make a longer commute more tolerable if you move back to Hartford.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top