Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
is telecommuting an option for you - even just a couple days a week? If so, it might make a longer commute more tolerable if you move back to Hartford.
Hartford is about 1 hr and 20 mins from my work location, assuming no traffic. It's too far, period.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,899 times
Default Moved to FL 12/2013 and trying to get back to CO, already!

Hi dnvrsoul, I retired in Dec of 2013 and immediately moved to Central FL because I have nieces and a nephew here. I could not stand living in CO and bitched about every aspect of it to whomever would listen. I hate Central Florida and I miss my friends and grandsons in CO. I never see my nieces and nephews that live here. After not seeing them for years, I moved here and I do not like the nieces much at all. The oldest is just 2 years younger than me and she is retired, also but she drinks like a fish.
Bottom line, I would give almost anything to be back in CO! I gave almost everything away when I moved here and had 26 boxes shipped and paid moving company $1350.00 to move them. I had my car shipped for $650.00. I rented an apartment and had to start from scratch with furnishings, etc. I have not made any friends or even acquaintances since I came here. It is like living in a hell!...
I am going to go back to CO as soon as my lease is up in January and never complain about it, again! I hope that I can afford to move all this stuff that I had to replace when ai moved here back to CO. This apartment is horrible. Water pours in bedroom windows and termites in my bedroom from the gaps in windows. Upstairs dog urinates on
my patio.....leasing office will not fix the roof to stop the leaks or stop the people upstairs from.allowing their dog to urinate down on my patio.
It is hell but there is nobody to blame but myself for this mess!
I hope you get back to CO and I hope I do, too!

Last edited by ndrew2007; 07-12-2014 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: enter name of person I am addressing

Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
My family and I moved to North Carolina 2 1/2 years ago. When we were scouting out the place, it didn't strike me as a place I wanted to move. And 2 1/2 years later, it still doesn't feel right. Unfortunately (or fortunately), my husband has a great job that pays well (he was transferred here, other office closed). Husband likes it here. But I want to move back so badly. We've even considered having me and the kids move back (4 1/2 hours away) and have him visit on weekends, but that brings a whole other host of problems. So here I stay pretty unhappy. RecentlyMoved, we can commiserate together. You're in the Triangle, too, right?

Old 07-20-2014, 02:20 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
After 2.5 yrs in any place, surely you've learned to make the most of it. If you're unhappy, look inside. Anyplace you are can be a great place...if you want it to be.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
After 2.5 yrs in any place, surely you've learned to make the most of it. If you're unhappy, look inside. Anyplace you are can be a great place...if you want it to be.
This is only partially true. We moved to PA from NJ and I made every effort to make it a place we loved. We introduced ourselves to neighbors, invited them over for several parties, got involved in school, church, created a book group, volunteered. It just never felt right or like home. I didn't make any close friends no matter how hard I tried.

Last year we moved to Dallas and have been happy. It still isn't home yet, but it os 1000% better than PA!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My family and I moved to North Carolina 2 1/2 years ago. When we were scouting out the place, it didn't strike me as a place I wanted to move. And 2 1/2 years later, it still doesn't feel right. Unfortunately (or fortunately), my husband has a great job that pays well (he was transferred here, other office closed). Husband likes it here. But I want to move back so badly. We've even considered having me and the kids move back (4 1/2 hours away) and have him visit on weekends, but that brings a whole other host of problems. So here I stay pretty unhappy. RecentlyMoved, we can commiserate together. You're in the Triangle, too, right?

North Carolina is a vortex. It draws people. Some types love it. Others do not.

It would not be for me. We left NY for PA. It was not welcoming at all.

We moved further west to the Mid West. We love it!

A move that does not work out is a learning experience. Staying in a place that you hate?

Well, that's an exercise in stupidity.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
Moved way too many times. In a rental after owning a house my whole adult life. Sitting in NJ trying to get home to western NY.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 18,596 times
Default Miss my old home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My advise, from what I've experienced, is to get out! No matter how you rationalize a move or a place, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't. You might like the beauty of the area, etc., but that doesn't equate to a place that's "home." I think when a move is unsuccessful or worse we try to salvage it, not move on, after all we just moved. But, I think 16 mths. is enough time to know you don't like it. My move before this one, I knew was wrong within 2-3 weeks. I immediately started planning my way out. Took a year and that was that. I felt kinda stupid, I should have known better than to move to this place (hindsight), but it's water under the bridge, hard lessons we all have to learn. You do learn a lot about yourself and your needs from moving. Good luck on your next move.
I so relate to this post! I moved to the most beautiful area, beyond gorgeous, but I miss my "ugly" hometown. After living in California for 30 years of my life, my husband and I decided to move 2,800 miles from home to Charleston, SC. I work from home here, so it's not been easy getting out and meeting people. I've made friends with some moms of my elementary school daughter, but have not made close friendships. I've noticed people are very clannish here and stick to themselves. While we have nice neighbors and live in a fantastic neighborhood, I still feel alone.

We've been here almost 2 years and I suffer from major depression because I want to move home. I've told my husband this many times but he is happy here and doesn't want to go back, even after his adult daughter had two grandchildren. Our younger daughter misses our family back in California, is very close to her big sister in CA and she cries often about missing her. I feel like I've taken away her opportunity to grow up around her cousins and aunts and uncles and only remaining grandmother. My In-laws both died two years ago and they were the center of our family, so it's not the same, but we have significant ties to Cslifornia, including some very close friends. I'm extremely lonely and miss everyone, but my husband doesn't want to leave.

I've decided that I may have to make a major decision in the next month. My daughter wants to go back to her old school in California, so I'm thinking of moving back during the school year with her and come back to SC during holidays and school breaks to be with her dad. She is struggling terribly at her school here and did not adjust well, but never had the problem at her old private school in California. I need to do what's best for her and for me at this point. Hopefully my husband will change his mind eventually,

I agree with everyone's assessment that moving away and going back home is not a failure. It definitely shows you what's important to you in life. To me, my extended family and roots are more important to me than the beauty of my town.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 18,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'm considering the same thing. My husband doesn't want to move back, but my daughter and I are both unhappy here. I know it can work being separated, many couples do it (do a google search on married couples living apart). My situation is a little different, my job is portable (I work from home). I honestly am willing to be away from my husband to be happier, even if it caused us to separate (more to this story than I'll post here). I'm in South Carolina, while a beautiful state, it's not my home.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
The one thing that always helped me was my husband and I always felt about the same with where we lived. I was more vocal, of course. He could go with the flow easier, but I couldn't. I like a place or not. I do not think, at all, that you can grow to love certain places, or even like them and to "look inside". Not at all, some places fit, some don't. There are just certain places you feel comfortable in, they're "home." Some places are pure torture. Leave is my advise!! I know how hard it is to relocate and pull up roots, even rotten ones, but it's your life and no one can do it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues