Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,106 times

Advertisements

Hi All--I've lived in NYC for the past 9 1/2 years and have been at the same job for 10 years (first job out of college). I am currently miserable living here and at my job and am looking to relocate sometime in the next 6 months. My problem is that i don't know where to move to. My biggest problem with NYC is the people and the amount of people. I am also not fond of the subway system. Some cities i am considering are: Portland, Denver and San Diego. Possibly Seattle, as well. I love the beach (any kind of water really), mountains (but i don't ski, at all) and just being outdoors. I still want some kind of metropolis, but not a bustling city. I am very laid back and really just need a change of scenery. I have been in finance for 10 years and would consider changing industries. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu2878 View Post
I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks so much!
Someone really needs to make a stickie with the basics for when these Q's are asked.
---

A recent effort:
Start with finding a job.
Wherever that might be will probably be fine.
If you want snow stay above the 40th parallel.

I think that covers it.

hth
---

Another:
Threads like this come down to the same basic issues with only minor variation.

Issue #1) MONEY. Housing, general COL and most importantly... where you can find the sort of job your life requires.
Issue #2) Everything else. Of the everything else family and friends count most.
But if you don't have the solid job squared away... nothing else in the everything else will make up for that.

hth
---

1) find work.
2) find a gf/bf
3) make everything else work around that.

hth
---

Seriously.... hth

Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
There is always Miami, West Palm Beach...lots of New Yorkers go there.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I think if you're a laid back type person, you'd do well in the West. More space, less people, etc. Maybe you should take a trip to one of the places you want for 4-5 days to get a feel for it. I'd say you're still young enough to change your life--why not work toward that even if it takes you some time. No good to be miserable anywheres. I can imagine how NYC would get on your nerves. I lived upstate and was born there and liked it well enough, but the City was a different kettle of fish and I think I only went there maybe 5 times my whole life even though I was only a few hours from it.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
I am in the same boat. I graduated college in 2005 and have been at my job for just over 6 years (first job). I detest Houston. It's hot, ugly, flat, polluted and just boring. I have decided Seattle is where I want to go and have visited about 5 times now. I know a couple of people up there and I plan to move next March when my lease is up here.

It's been really hard to decide what to do with this economy. I've been toying with the idea for years thinking things will get better, and they aren't. I just can't keep waiting forever. Sometimes you just have to take a chance - crappy economy or not. Otherwise, you are just wasting valuable years of your life.

The way I see it is you need at least one side of your life (personal or career) to be running smoothly in order to feel at least somewhat satisfied with life. I'm not happy with either side right now, so I feel I have to make a drastic change in order to make one side better. On the career side, I've had phone interviews, but nothing further. At least I know there is interest but I feel I have to be there to really have a chance. It's going to be hard to find a job, but I have almost two years worth of savings (since there is nothing to do here, I just save!). I'll keep looking there while I'm in Texas, but I'm thinking I will have to just move first and then find a job.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Some cities i am considering are: Portland, Denver and San Diego. Possibly Seattle, as well. I love the beach (any kind of water really), mountains (but i don't ski, at all) and just being outdoors. I still want some kind of metropolis, but not a bustling city. I am very laid back and really just need a change of scenery. I have been in finance for 10 years and would consider changing industries. I would appreciate any advice.

Good for you for taking the initiative to change your life.

What are your savings like?

Have you started looking for jobs? Have you contacted a head hunter?

Do you really want to change industries, or are you just desperate?

I would say, of all those on your list, San Diego is the most expensive (although not as $$ as NYC).

After SD, Denver has the best weather. Seattle is gorgeous but still pricey and really is dreary (same as Portland). Seattle is prettier than Portland, IMHO.

You could also check out Salt Lake City....very pretty with the mountains. Another option with water, but no mountains, would be Charleston, SC.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Hi All--I've lived in NYC for the past 9 1/2 years and have been at the same job for 10 years (first job out of college). I am currently miserable living here and at my job and am looking to relocate sometime in the next 6 months. My problem is that i don't know where to move to. My biggest problem with NYC is the people and the amount of people. I am also not fond of the subway system. Some cities i am considering are: Portland, Denver and San Diego. Possibly Seattle, as well. I love the beach (any kind of water really), mountains (but i don't ski, at all) and just being outdoors. I still want some kind of metropolis, but not a bustling city. I am very laid back and really just need a change of scenery. I have been in finance for 10 years and would consider changing industries. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much!
I am just throwing out suggestions...Have you thought about the following:
Sacramento-Arden- Arcade- Roseville, CA area (24th);
San Jose- Sunnyvale- Santa Clara, CA area (31st);
Salt Lake City, UT area (50th);
Albuquerque, NM area (57th);
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks- Ventura, CA area (63rd);
Colorado Springs, CO area (82nd)....

Info from: Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have to move if you aren't happy. You should have enough experience and references to be competetive for a new job.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM

27,211 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
I am in the same boat. I graduated college in 2005 and have been at my job for just over 6 years (first job). I detest Houston. It's hot, ugly, flat, polluted and just boring. I have decided Seattle is where I want to go and have visited about 5 times now. I know a couple of people up there and I plan to move next March when my lease is up here.

It's been really hard to decide what to do with this economy. I've been toying with the idea for years thinking things will get better, and they aren't. I just can't keep waiting forever. Sometimes you just have to take a chance - crappy economy or not. Otherwise, you are just wasting valuable years of your life.

The way I see it is you need at least one side of your life (personal or career) to be running smoothly in order to feel at least somewhat satisfied with life. I'm not happy with either side right now, so I feel I have to make a drastic change in order to make one side better. On the career side, I've had phone interviews, but nothing further. At least I know there is interest but I feel I have to be there to really have a chance. It's going to be hard to find a job, but I have almost two years worth of savings (since there is nothing to do here, I just save!). I'll keep looking there while I'm in Texas, but I'm thinking I will have to just move first and then find a job.
Great post. This is the struggle for many...wanting to move someplace else but unable to secure a job prior to moving so inertia takes hold and they sit, completely miserable. It sounds (and is) somewhat reckless to make the decision to go ahead and move without secured employment (with savings however) but one has to balance years wasted in a place where you're miserable with the chance for a positive change elsewhere. The days of finding a job prior to moving are gone it seems unless one is transferring, knows someone in the new city who secures employment or is in an executive level position. Good luck to the OP and others in this thread who want to the change, I say go for it and see where it takes you. Life's too short..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues