Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM

461 posts, read 1,314,257 times

Advertisements

I've never felt the need to keep up with the Joneses. After high school was over, I could care less if other people had more than I did. I think it's funny to watch my coworkers buy Corvettes, designer clothing, expensive golf equipment, etc. It seems they try to out-buy everyone else. I personally think it is a lack of self-esteem. I could afford it too, but would rather focus on my future and early retirement goals. They have almost nothing in savings and contribute minimal amounts to retirement. I would hate to see what happens to them in a financial emergency. They will also be working many more years than I plan to...I'll be sipping pina coladas on the beach while they are slaving away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,459 times
I don't know if it's a big city thing, but it definitely is a DC thing.

I relocated after living in several different cities in the south (including VA) to the DC area, and it was shocking to me that, for a large number of people here, keeping up with the Joneses is definitely a way of life! And not just in smaller ways to which I was accustomed (maybe designer purses or upgrades to a house), but full-out luxury european cars, crazy expensive cigars & wine, etc.etc...

Always wondered why some of my relatives who moved to DC early in life became obsessed with status and things they perceived enhanced that status, but after living here I understand that they felt this huge pressure to fit in and gave into it.

I'm older, and don't plan to change my ways to this lifestyle (and can't afford it anyhow I think younger people may be under more peer group pressure, but I would live life the way you want to live it and to heck with those who may want to pressure you to do otherwise. I suspect some of those young people may be "trust-fund babies" who have access to more funds than a normal person and others who are trying to impress them. Lots of both groups around DC.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:18 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
That's funny, I moved from Newport News which is right next door to Hampton. The area is definitely not The Sticks boondocks small town but the area just lacks opportunities for young professionals.
Agreed. Most of my Hampton Roads friends who graduated college are either living/working in Richmond or DC.

When confronted with the original problem just think of how much money you'll have at the end of the month by not splurging on such materialism.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I felt the pressure more in a small suburb than I do in a bigger city.

In my old neighborhood ~ everyone had to have the best lawn; holiday decorations; landscaping; garden flags; cars . . . .

It's not like that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues