Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times

Advertisements

Have you ever moved from a state with a late primary election date to a state with an early one - between the two dates? Is there a way to still vote if this happens? (presidential primaries)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
I haven't but can imagine the nightmare of coordinating it.
fwiw... sidestep the issue/problem entirely with an absentee ballot.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
I haven't, but I think the answer is pretty straightforward: you are only eligible to vote where you reside. If an election, whether a primary or a general election, occurs while you are residing in State A, you are eligible to vote in it. If you move from State A to State B, and it happens that the primary has already occurred in State B and has not yet occurred in State A, you are not eligible to vote in the primary.

By the same token, if you vote in the primary in State A, then move to State B which has a later primary, you are eligible to vote in the primary in State B.

If you move out of State A before the primary you might get away with voting either by absentee ballot or in person because they might not be on top of the fact that you've moved, but you actually aren't eligible to cast a vote in a state you no longer live in.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I haven't, but I think the answer is pretty straightforward: you are only eligible to vote where you reside.
. . .
If you move out of State A before the primary you might get away with voting either by absentee ballot or in person because they might not be on top of the fact that you've moved, but you actually aren't eligible to cast a vote in a state you no longer live in.
Yeah, I understand all of this, especially with regard to state and local issues. I just hate giving up my voice on national ones. There's a pretty good chance we'll stay long enough for the NC primary; if it's close we can do absentee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues