Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

I heard about movers ex : (youloadtheydrive) who leave a 28ft. trailer at your house for a few days, you load it up and they pick it up and drive it to your new location. Once at the new location, they drop the trailer off and give you a couple of days to unload. This seems like a pretty inexpensive way to move if you are able to do the packing and loading and don't want to do the driving. Has anyone had any experience with this...good or bad??? Need some advice here.

Last edited by Kevin2011; 10-25-2011 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Changed the title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2011 View Post
...leave a 28ft. trailer (or some other size container depending on just how much crap you have
and/or feel you need to drag with you to wherever it is you're going
) at your house for a few days,
you load it up and they pick it up and drive it to your new location.

Once at the new location, they drop the trailer (or some other size container) off
and give you a couple of days to unload.

This seems like a pretty inexpensive way to move
if you are able to do the packing and loading and don't want to do the driving.
It sure does.

hth

Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,964 times
Most companies that offer You Load, We Drive type transportation services like those you mentioned are general freight common carriers, not licensed household goods movers. ABF freight system is probably the biggest player.

Unlike household goods movers who use specially designed air-ride equipment, most of ABF's long distance over-the-road equipment is spring-ride freight trailers. Be sure to use lots of padding and secure your load well if this is the option that you choose.

Enter "freight trailer" in the search field above to see some of the comments entered in this forum.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,295 times
"Unlike household goods movers who use specially designed air-ride equipment, most of ABF's long distance over-the-road equipment is spring-ride freight trailers. Be sure to use lots of padding and secure your load well if this is the option that you choose. "

Unless you are very experienced at loading a moving van, this is a very good way of have a substantial amount of damage. These types of trailers are very rough riding and the drivers who deliver these types of trailers are not experienced on how to adjust their driving habits for a fragile load.
Make sure you sue extra padding and secure the load so there is no shifting from side to side or front to back. Very tight, very square with a lot of padding and you just might be OK.
Cheap yes, but then again cheap is not always the best bet.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I recently got a quote from one of those companies I think - the Pod people to move a family member.... it seemed pretty reasonable but once you added in the cost of boxes/packing material, it seemed less so...

Do you have help at both ends for the loading and unloading?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,220 times
Hey Thanks for the response..! And I don't think so that we get help on loading and unloading, may be we can hire someone to help on lond and unload.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2011 View Post
I heard about movers ex : (youloadtheydrive) who leave a 28ft. trailer at your house for a few days, you load it up and they pick it up and drive it to your new location. Once at the new location, they drop the trailer off and give you a couple of days to unload. This seems like a pretty inexpensive way to move if you are able to do the packing and loading and don't want to do the driving. Has anyone had any experience with this...good or bad??? Need some advice here.
As mentioned in an earlier post, ABF, UPack Moving, is the biggest player in this type of moving. You can hire someone at either end of your move to load and unload your belongings into the container. You want to make sure that you hire qualified movers not just some joe schmoe off the street

Last edited by jasper12; 03-19-2012 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: no advertising TOS

Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Default Pods seem like a sensible idea

We will probably be using this method to move some items belonging to my late mother-in-law. The larger moving companies also offer this service, as well as U-Haul. We will be using the smaller pod, though, not the big 28 ft one. They seem to be a popular option these days. I have seen several arrive in my subdivision this way during the past couple of years. We also will take advantage of having the stuff moved during off-peak days, which I believe is a bit cheaper.

I haven't personally had any friends have a bad experience with these moving pods.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
And don't confuse these general freight common carriers with local Joe and his converted horse trailer. There are many people setting up moving services that are really just a guy and pickup with a general trailers with fancy painting. Few have the proper insurance or license to do what they are doing and you only find out if something goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues