Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 AM

605 posts, read 705,087 times

Advertisements

Keep renting for now - DO NOT settle into a home you aren't happy with. The current market conditions will make that home last for a long, long time and very good chances are that home value will keep sliding down.

I would stay where you are now, and save, save, save. (Leaving the cloth versus disposable diaper decision up to you). Only purchase a home that you know you'd want to stay in for at least 20+ years.

A home is one of the biggest (if not the biggest?) purchases you'll ever make. And things WILL look up - once your baby is born, you and your husband will delight in him/her. Perhaps when the baby is able to sleep through MOST of the night and things settle down a bit, hopefully you've saved a bit more by then, and perhaps home prices have dropped even lower, you can make another offer on a home that you won't consider "settling" for.

Good luck to you! And congrats on the baby! Things WILL work out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,455 times
I could not find a home for awhile,ongoing search since June.Presently I have a property in closing but the dates have been pushed back for vaious reasons behalf of the seller. This will be the second consecutive month and appears it could be another. I hope your endeavours are far better and fruitful.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM

420 posts, read 704,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddywax View Post

-Buy a house that wasn't horrible. We'd be settling, but would be in a nice area with good schools. $2600/month (mortgage + prop. taxes), and hopefully be completely moved in before Februrary.
Considering that the market is in the tank and a home is the biggest purchase you will make in your life I would completely take this option out.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
If you can't find a home you love, I'd encourage you to keep looking.

Use that extra $1000/month for diaper service, drop-off laundry service, a housekeeper once a week, take-out dinners... Anything to give you more time with your baby. Maybe add storage unit to handle the excess stuff so the apartment isn't quite so crowded.

Time is the absolute best gift you can give to your baby. Nothing else even comes close. Eventually, you will get that place with a backyard and a washer/dryer and you will spend an unbelievable amount of time raking leave and figuring out why the kitchen sink keeps stopping up and waiting for plumbers to repair the furnace and...

Meanwhile:

Quiet down cobwebs,
Dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby,
And babies don't keep.

Keeping a good thought for you and your family.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
maybe get a portable washer/dryer?)
Getting a portable washer is an option. However, a portable dryer might be a problem since I believe most electric dryers take 220 volts rather than 110.

Congrats with the soon-to-be new baby! Yippee!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times

Those prices are outrageous... where do you live ?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 11,846 times
Thank you so much for all the advice!! We decided to stay in our current apartment and keep looking for houses, though a little more casually than we were before. We realized none of the places we had the option of moving to were much better than where we are at now, so there was really no point. Laundry will just be something we have to get used to spending $100 bucks on a month, which isn't great, but at least this way we're putting away about $2,300/month, instead of only $1,000-$1,500. And it's only temporary, so I think we'll actually be fine space-wise!

We're going to spruce the place up a little to get ready for the baby (can't wait!!), and we'll take our time finding the right house for us.

king's highway - we live in Westchester County, NY. Things are definitely pricey up here! Laundry alone in my building is $4 a load (wash & dry).

And thank you everyone for the congrats

Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all the advice!! We decided to stay in our current apartment and keep looking for houses, though a little more casually than we were before. We realized none of the places we had the option of moving to were much better than where we are at now, so there was really no point. Laundry will just be something we have to get used to spending $100 bucks on a month, which isn't great, but at least this way we're putting away about $2,300/month, instead of only $1,000-$1,500. And it's only temporary, so I think we'll actually be fine space-wise!

We're going to spruce the place up a little to get ready for the baby (can't wait!!), and we'll take our time finding the right house for us.

king's highway - we live in Westchester County, NY. Things are definitely pricey up here! Laundry alone in my building is $4 a load (wash & dry).

And thank you everyone for the congrats
I always really appreciate it when an OP comes back and updates their thread

Sounds like you guys have a good plan of action in place.

Best of luck finding that home you dream of in the future!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:53 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,874 times
I understand your pain! We are on Long Island, relocating to Fairfield County. I would DEFINITELY stay put, keep renting, bank the extra money. It's such limited stock around here. Are you looking just westchester or considering fairfield cty CT or Putnam County too? Good luck to you, hope you find your perfect house!

I bought a Haier washer off of Amazon that hooks up to the sink to wash baby's clothes/diapers in. We also got the dryer, which plugs into a regular outlet, and then got an indoor vent kit.

Total was about $500 for the pair about a year ish ago.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Stay in the cheap one, save money, and keep looking for the house that knocks your socks off. You could move and have horrible neighbors. Save that extra 1000+ a mth, and you will be glad you did. Plus, your rental history, longevity will maybe look good on your mortgage app. my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues