Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,573 times

Advertisements

Thank you..... that's what I've been trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Thanks. And obviously, yes... if he gets into a major jam, of COURSE she should help him... . But right now she shouldn't tell him that. She should just be firm with him about what's going down, and build his confidence that he's perfectly capable of doing this. Because he is, even if he doesn't know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM
fre

109 posts, read 76,679 times
It helps. So does frequently changing your phone number. By the time they find someone who has your new number, the crisis/drama has blown over.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,787 times
I think if the drama never ends...I think it might be wise to move and to forward no address or numbers...if its that bad, has gone on since forever, and the people are determintal to your overall peace...show no signs of improving...it might be best to just...leave them behind, move on...there are studies that show that stress and abuse from people who have no boundaries do cause strokes, heart attacks and can worsen some current autoimmune diseases, such as fibro, arthritis and etc...which new studies show can very well result from years of stress and abuse...I think you know if that bill fits you or not...

Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
So, my question is- for those that have moved away from family.... does the physical distance make the family drama less stressful?
It worked for me. It got me away from high-drama relatives, whom I didn't want to see or talk to. So yeah, distance is good. No regrets.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:18 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,573 times
Just wanted to post an update -- we are two months into our move.

I've discovered that YES, distance from drama DOES help very much

It feels good to have left the baggage behind.

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories. Now I can say I have found out for myself. Distance = waaaay less family drama

Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
IT does, but it does not solve the whole problem. As my dysfunctional father once vowed to ruin my life 9not in those exact words but in general),he has not ceased trying completely but being that I am 2000 miles away makes it harder for him and better for me. I still get phone calls, I forgot to get an unlisted number, but I have caller ID And I can simply not answer when they call. I still get Emails, like last week, telling me how my loser sister's 4th husband or whatever she is up to left and took what little money they had blah blah blah....or how they put my niece in the psych hospital blah blah blah or That said , the problems and situations , the "Drama" are those which they have all created and fostered. I choose not to be involved.
so yeah physical distance helps, but fostering an emotional distance helps as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues