Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,529,810 times

Advertisements

I know this info may be posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. We are getting the 26' Penske tomorrow and I have never loaded a truck before. Any advice on how to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,389,372 times
One important thing... Save the things you use often for last. It is usually quite awhile before it's unloaded, and dishes, toilet paper, underwear, is best left accessable. Pack with clothes and linens to conserve space. take everything apart that can be. Mark all boxes with contents and what room it goes to (kitchen, library...). Buy a hitch and door lock. Borrow a spare tire. (If it's 2 axle, you can change a tire by driving the good one on a ramp, the flat will follow in the air). Legal tongue weight (on car hitch) is 1500 lbs. Try to balance the load (books are heavy). Start early, don't be rushed. It's amazing how much you can jam into a trailer. Happy moving!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:26 AM

746 posts, read 2,178,123 times
Put all the heavy furniture on the bottom. Boxes of top of them. Fill up to the top as you work backwords. Keep it tightly packed so things can't move around during the trip. Save odd shape things for the end, like bikes, lawnmower, etc.
Don't forget to try and keep the weight balanced left to right and front to back.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 33,180 times
How to Pack/Load the Moving Truck or Van Tips - Moving Guide

Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM

71 posts, read 511,327 times
Keep in mind to load the truck in tiers. Each tier should be flat "like a picture" loaded from floor to ceiling, wall to wall. Put your dressers on the bottom as base. Medium furniture like night stands in the middle of the tier and lighter, smaller furniture on top like chairs, etc.

I loaded trucks professionally for 16 years cross country. If you need more detailed advice, private message me. I'd be glad to help.

I just noticed this post started in 2008! Nevermind. :-(

Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,418,595 times
I was lucky.. didn't load it myself. I had the movers/packers (whatever they're called) do it for me but they put all the appliances towards the back of the truck.. they loaded them first. If I remember correctly the boxes were loaded on top of the furniture.. so basically the truck consisted of appliances toward the back and mattresses.. other furniture loaded after appliances with boxes being loaded on top of furniture. I would rent some padded blankets for some of your nicer furniture. I think that's about it..
Best of luck :-)

Old 03-05-2009, 05:43 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,403,592 times
What everybody said--all good tips. Heavy stuff in front of the truck. Lighter stuff on top and in the back. Make sure you tie stufff that can fall and break. Put mirrors, pictures, etc between matress and box springs. Tie matress and box springs to the truck wall, so they won't fall. Make sure you tie or strap stuff in the back, so when you open the door it won't fall on your head.
Remember, when you brake in the truck, stuff will tend to slip forward. So, load it tall in front and short in the back.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Start out neat and tidy, by the end it is "Good God more crap, chuck it in and let's get on the road!"

Of at least that is how I feel about packing trucks .

Actually the advice given by others on this thread is golden.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,550,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Borrow a spare tire. (If it's 2 axle, you can change a tire by driving the good one on a ramp, the flat will follow in the air).
The tires on a 26' truck are MUCH larger than those on a car. If you have a flat tire enroute, call the owner of the rental truck (Penske, U Haul etc.) They will dispatch a truck tire service to the vehicle. The tire service will bring a new tire, already mounted and aired up, and install it for you.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,545,407 times
Crew Chief,
I appreciate your good help here.....always good info!

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues