Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,513,513 times

Advertisements

I love humidity. Keeps your skin from wrinkling. If you can't take the heat, get out of florida. And yeah, we would rather see your bumper sticker on the way out then hear all the whining about how its just not like where you came from. Which should be obvious since its not where you came from. Floridians have to deal with the attitudes of all 50 states and god knows how many countries. Many people come here expecting it to be.A vacation all the time. Or to find some land of milk and honey based on tourist ads. We have to deal with a hige melting pot of transient sludge. An air of unfriendliness is often an air of "now what did we get next door": we deal with alot of illegal schemers, ponzi and pill mill and etc. We have to watch our backs and be careful not to trust our newly moved into the state neighbors because usually you are running from something. Moving anywhere should be well thought out and visits to the area, bad and good should be mandatory.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I'm from up north and moved to FL for awhile then to CA. Moving to FL at the time was also not because of wanting to but because of need.
FL to me is a different way of living then other states I have lived. I felt it was overall very hard to meet people as many are not friendly. The crime issues, humidity,bugs,overpriced in nice areas,etc. I know some people especially if retired enjoy FL but to me it a state that many may not enjoy other then a vacation
I have heard this so often from so many people. People had moved from the north to the south, mainly Florida and Georgia. They said that they had a really difficult time trying to make friends, in the end, made none and returned home.

I was told that the indigenous population was friendly and polite and interacted well on social occasions and club and organizational meetings, but they would never invite the transplant to their homes, nor would they visit the transplant at home.

It appears as though there are some people in the South who are happy to take the money of northern tourists, but do not really accept them as full fledged human beings.

Some of these people had been even, originally, transplants themselves, from the Northeast, but were probably treated with a clannish reception by natives, and formed their own little clan that they also insulated from outsiders in the same way.

People who can afford to do so should spend time in their new region on an extended vacation, renting and just put things in storage up North. Test the waters.

Is it possible that people from the South get the same rotten reception when they try to live in the North? I know that people in New York can have a reputation of being cold, but they are that way with each other, too - it's not that they treat strangers from other regions any differently.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I love humidity. Keeps your skin from wrinkling. If you can't take the heat, get out of florida. And yeah, we would rather see your bumper sticker on the way out then hear all the whining about how its just not like where you came from. Which should be obvious since its not where you came from. Floridians have to deal with the attitudes of all 50 states and god knows how many countries. Many people come here expecting it to be.A vacation all the time. Or to find some land of milk and honey based on tourist ads. We have to deal with a hige melting pot of transient sludge. An air of unfriendliness is often an air of "now what did we get next door": we deal with alot of illegal schemers, ponzi and pill mill and etc. We have to watch our backs and be careful not to trust our newly moved into the state neighbors because usually you are running from something. Moving anywhere should be well thought out and visits to the area, bad and good should be mandatory.
Well if that's the mentality down there, no wonder she wants to move back!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,446 times
I agree with Blue. Wire's comment about get out of FL and with that attitude is common among people who are in FL. I don't get why one needs to respond in that manner. There is a respectful way of saying things which can even mention not moving to FL based on a vacation but not "get out".

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,513,513 times
The comments stand as is, and the critiques of my comments are pretty much the attitude which prompts my "get out" comment. There ya go, thanks for the exhibition.

I have made wonderful friends in florida. Perhaps its the newcomers unwilling to fully embrace the floridians that is the problem? Sitting around complaining about how you don't like it here is one way to have people who love it here distance themselves from you. I happen to really like our new neighbors who bought the forecloseed house next door, though I find them a bit distant and secretive sometimes, but making lifelong friends can take that long. Those new neighbors have however made no secret of the fact that they were so happy to leave their former state, never want to see it again, and love the heat and humidity.

And oh by the way, my comments were meant humorously. Fun watching people get all huffy about them though. And I doubt florida is the only state where residents don't care for out of staters who move here nad hate it, or can't handle it, its really not a state for the faint of heart. I went to hawaii once. Bus driver told us she really doesn't care for tourists, they make their whole economy unable to function normally. Life was hard there for resisdents, she has three jobs to make ends meet. She literally said, "you come, spend your money, then get out. Thank you". I really understood her points.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
I moved from the North to the South. I don't really want to go back North to live. Although, my kids are what I miss the most. So, we resolve that by visiting often.
I think the Southern people I have met are just the best! I find them kind and friendly. It seems strangers can become your friend in a small amount of time.
I have to say that when I owned a condo in Florida I didn't feel as welcomed there. But, in South Carolina, everyone is your friend.
Not to pick on Florida as I love the state. I love its weather, and its beaches, and all the entertainment that is abound.
All in all it is the weather that wins me over. I don't want to stay cooped up or bundled up all winter.
I love knowing its January and February and I am looking at flowers and walking in shorts. Sunshine is wonderful......Love You South!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Yes, for some reason the Carolinas seem to be a good place for relocated northerners. I have a friend who was reared and spent most of his adult life in Brooklyn and Manhattan. He moved to North Carolina and loves it. Been there for decades.

The cost of living is higher in NY, and I have a feeling that is a great factor in the decision.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Lots of generalities, some from people that have never lived in certain areas but "hear" of things. Sorry but that's not valuable information.

Some parts of Florida are very Southern, some are very northeastern, some are very Midwestern, some are very third world, some are a melting pot or salad bowl.

I've lived in several places in Florida. The natives are wonderful, friendly people as are most Southerners - providing you are not a jerk, and they can see those folks coming from a mile away. A lot of the unfriendly people are the transplants and a lot of those folks are either coming or going and most have no interest in getting know you.

I'm from New England and loved the more Southern areas of Florida - which are generally the further north you go - and also the true Florida areas which are in the more sparsely populated towns. The native Floridian poster is rude because he or she is sick of dealing with the rude, narcissistic transplants and there are a lot of them.

I now live in Knoxville, Tennessee and I would never, ever go back to New England. The weather stinks, and you don't realize how true that is until you leave. Lots of life-long residents make constant excuses often involving "it's going to get better soon" but it rarely does and never lasts long.

I love the people in Knoxville, I love the weather, I love the diversity, the schools, the things going on all the time, the cost of living, the low tax burden. Other areas of the South and even Tennessee aren't as nice. Some of the rural areas don't have great services, schools and can be insular. But hands down, the Southerners are more friendly and welcoming than Northerners, by a mile. Any talk of superficial friendliness or cliquishness is almost always from someone that has an attitude - often superior - or hasn't given it a chance. It is far harder to break into a Northern clique.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Any talk of superficial friendliness or cliquishness is almost always from someone that has an attitude - often superior - or hasn't given it a chance. It is far harder to break into a Northern clique.
No, I don't think so. They were older women who seemed to be really nice people to me. I used to believe as you do, that people are people wherever you go and as long as you are decent and respectful you can make friends. We were thinking of retiring to a southern state, but I would not make such an investment after these people who had first hand knowledge told me of their experiences.

Maybe it is as you say, more dependent on the area of Florida(or Georgia) that you move into.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
No, I don't think so. They were older women who seemed to be really nice people to me. I used to believe as you do, that people are people wherever you go and as long as you are decent and respectful you can make friends. We were thinking of retiring to a southern state, but I would not make such an investment after these people who had first hand knowledge told me of their experiences.

Maybe it is as you say, more dependent on the area of Florida(or Georgia) that you move into.
Don't judge someone by how they treat those they feel are their equal or superior, you judge them by how they treat those they feel are beneath them. I've encountered many northerners (mostly from big city areas) who carried an attitude of superiority over people from the south. These are usually people who refer the central and southern states as "fly-over" country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues