Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 PM

327 posts, read 594,149 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I plan on moving this summer, but am not sure on when is the right time to be applying for jobs. My friend told me to start now, but the move is at least 6-7 months away, so I feel it's way too early. I will be making a trip out there, before I actually move. I figure that way I can hopefully get some in person interviews.

But when should one start applying? A month? 2 weeks? Just curious cause this whole moving to a different state, seems kinda confusing in a way...

Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
...when is the right time to be applying for jobs.
This is more about the type of work you do than anything else.

But your Q still presupposes a few things:
1) that there are or will be open positions doing your job where you're going, and
2) that if the "perfect job" wanted you there in 3 weeks that you would still say no.

hth

Old 12-11-2011, 09:20 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
Will you have an address in the new state before you get there? I ask because many employers will not call you for an interview if you don't. What line of work are you looking for?
I can't imagine a position being held or they would advertise 6 months in advance. Usually they want a person to start within a month if not sooner. You could do some research before depending on the position or field. Such as if in the medical field you could go on hospital websites, have resumes ready, a temp plan in case you can't find a job in the field you are looking for. Good luck

Old 12-12-2011, 12:24 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,091 times
In a lot of cases it's better to wait until right before you move. If the company wants to hire someone right away they aren't going to hold the position for you. They will most likely want you to come in and interview in person. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM

208 posts, read 603,883 times
Personally, I wouldn't plan to move until after I've already applied for and secured a job in a new place. What if you make plans, but no jobs are available? Most employers understand that if they hire someone from out of state, the potential employees will need time to relocate.

A friend of mine is in the situation where he desperately wants to move, but is having a tough time finding a job in the city of his choice. His lease is up in about 2 months, so he's pretty stressed out with networking and trying to secure interviews. He's been at this since the summer (coming up on 6 months now), with the thought that if he gets a job, he'll be able to pick up and move rather quickly.

6-7 months may seem early, but depending on your industry and the availability of jobs, you may very well have to apply, interview, especially network, etc. starting pretty soon. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
If you want to move you should immediately start applying for jobs. I would never recommend moving to a town without a job.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times
Admittedly I moved without a job and it worked out. I found one right away. (Plus I kind of had a safety net. I had a place to stay if I hadn't found something right away.)

But IDEALLY, what I would do if I were you is get to a point where you're financially secure enough to move. Conduct your life as if you could be moving anytime, even if there are no solid plans in place; even if you've not given notice to your employer, told people, or anything. What I mean by that is.. start clearing out clutter. Make trips to Goodwill to drop things off. Start researching moving costs. Storage facilities and availability. Schools for your kids and ammenities in the new area, etc. Whatever the case may be.

Don't worry about having all of the above 100% planned out. Just start moving things in that direction, thought-wise.

But once you get to a point where financially, if you had to move next week (hypothetically).... you could do it. Even if it would be kind of hard, even if things weren't 100% planned out... you could.

That's the point to start applying to jobs.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
I agree with the last poster.
Are you prepared to rent a room in this new state if your job offer comes in?
Would your home you are selling be left in "model home like" conditions?
If you have family, would they mind staying behind while you start your new job?
It would never be good to move without a job set up in this kind of environment. In some places jobs are hard to come by.
I agree about getting everything in move out condition. Pack and leave the boxes in an out of the way area, or storage.
Think towards your goal and if it were to come true "next week."
Are you ready?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 PM

327 posts, read 594,149 times
Thanks for all the replies!

I do not plan on moving until I have a job. I have a child and a car to pay for, so I'm for sure going to make sure I have a job there before I move. (I'm not someone who just moves without something in place) I do not own a house, so I don't need to worry about that and I do have people to stay with at first, so I am not worried about if I'll have my own place just yet. And on top of that, I do have a $ cushion to rely on if things get tight.

My plan is this... I'm going out to the new state for a week in July. Before I even go there, I will be applying for jobs and I will make sure that the employers know that I will be in town during a certain time and if they'd like to set up an in person interview. Also while I'm there I will still be applying at places as well. I'm in the medical field and I'm hoping if I do find a job, that the employer will give me one month to start, so that way I can give my current employer the 2 weeks notice and get moved. I do also plan on having most of our stuff already packed (stuff we don't use often) before I even go on the vacation out there. So that way I won't be stressing too much when it comes to it.

I was thinking I should start applying at places maybe a month before I come out there.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

I do not plan on moving until I have a job. I have a child and a car to pay for, so I'm for sure going to make sure I have a job there before I move. (I'm not someone who just moves without something in place) I do not own a house, so I don't need to worry about that and I do have people to stay with at first, so I am not worried about if I'll have my own place just yet. And on top of that, I do have a $ cushion to rely on if things get tight.

My plan is this... I'm going out to the new state for a week in July. Before I even go there, I will be applying for jobs and I will make sure that the employers know that I will be in town during a certain time and if they'd like to set up an in person interview. Also while I'm there I will still be applying at places as well. I'm in the medical field and I'm hoping if I do find a job, that the employer will give me one month to start, so that way I can give my current employer the 2 weeks notice and get moved. I do also plan on having most of our stuff already packed (stuff we don't use often) before I even go on the vacation out there. So that way I won't be stressing too much when it comes to it.

I was thinking I should start applying at places maybe a month before I come out there.

Sounds like you know what you're doing.
I may just be following my own advice shortly. I would like to make another short move, within a couple hours from where I'm at now.

I moved 1,000 miles back to my homestate in October 2010. I already did a lot of scaling down then, so I won't have to do much in terms of getting rid of extra belongings. I went from living in a city of 60,000 (roughly) - which I resided in for several years - back to my hometown in Wisconsin which has less than 10,000 people. A bit of a change to say the least. My goal was just to get out of where I was living before, and the logical landing place was my hometown, which I love. I've readjusted. It has everything I NEED. As long as a town has a 24-hour Wal-Mart, I'm good. In a large sense, this will always be home. I'll always be fond of my hometown. There's a lot of good memories. But yeah... I must admit to myself that I've outgrown it. I'm definitely ready to live in a town with a Starbucks again. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues