U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 PM

442 posts, read 487,753 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving out from under my family's house soon and don't even know where to begin. I don't have their blessings and funds are limited. I don't have much I'm gonna be bringing with me either. I don't watch TV or do much in terms of recreation and plan on staying busy trying to survive once I'm away from their home. It's not a good situation here at all. What should I be prepared to do in terms of moving? Anyone have any info on how I should do my taxes? What does one need to do once they arrive in a new place?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,565,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
I'll be moving out from under my family's house soon and don't even know where to begin. I don't have their blessings and funds are limited. I don't have much I'm gonna be bringing with me either. I don't watch TV or do much in terms of recreation and plan on staying busy trying to survive once I'm away from their home. It's not a good situation here at all. What should I be prepared to do in terms of moving? Anyone have any info on how I should do my taxes? What does one need to do once they arrive in a new place?
First, you need to rent a place to stay, so rent an apartment. You'll probably need a job to show the landlord that you have an income source. You may need someone older to co-sign your lease, especially if you are under a certain age (18? 21? I have forgotten).

Then, try to find a friend with a pickup truck who can help you to move your stuff.

I can't think of any way that this would impact your taxes, other than changing your address and telling your parents not to claim you as a dependent any more.

Your new place will need electricity, possibly natural gas, water, phone, trash, and so on, but often apartments provide all of this except electricity and phone. You'll need money for deposits.

Sorry things are not working out well for you at home. Any chances of patching that up? If not, any family friends or relatives that would let you move in with them temporarily? That would be easier and cheaper, and your parents might be happier with that solution too if you are young.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues