Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

Relocating can be stressful and even the most well researched plans don't always pan out. Or maybe you did a ton of research and certain things you didn't think would bother you end up being a big annoyance after moving to where ever you moved to. Or maybe you found hidden surprises that made your relocation even more enjoyable. Or lastly, there are things you know you will not be able to live with for the long haul and are/will become deal breakers.

Relocating is an adventure and in the process I think it helps in learning more about yourself. No right or wrong here just those things that make ya go

Here is my list.

Stuff you didn't think about or didn't realize:

-This is one of the few states where public schools charge for textbooks
-Hard water is a real PITA
-Crazy drivers
-radon gas is common in this area
-road layouts are bizarre

Things you knew that turned out to be bigger annoyances:

-living on septic
-strong conservative beliefs as well as religious
-lake effect snow
-lack of competitive services such as cable, internet

Delightful surprises:

-much lower utility costs than I originally thought
-road construction gets finished quickly
-nice shopping
-good customer service

Could be a deal breaker/or is a deal breaker:

-Not fitting in due to opposite beliefs
-Lack of diverse or future job opportunities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM

35 posts, read 106,992 times
I am in the same boat with the roads here in Seattle. They make no sense (to me at least, so far) so I have to google map everything. In Phoenix, it was a grid lay out, and every street went where it was supposed to (unless it hit a mountain). They have Streets that intersect Avenues and they all twist and turn and dead end... I'm getting it a little bit better now that I've been here for a week, but that has been the most difficult thing for me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Relocating can be stressful and even the most well researched plans don't always pan out. Or maybe you did a ton of research and certain things you didn't think would bother you end up being a big annoyance after moving to where ever you moved to. Or maybe you found hidden surprises that made your relocation even more enjoyable. Or lastly, there are things you know you will not be able to live with for the long haul and are/will become deal breakers.

Relocating is an adventure and in the process I think it helps in learning more about yourself. No right or wrong here just those things that make ya go

Here is my list.

Stuff you didn't think about or didn't realize:

-This is one of the few states where public schools charge for textbooks
-Hard water is a real PITA
-Crazy drivers
-radon gas is common in this area
-road layouts are bizarre

Things you knew that turned out to be bigger annoyances:

-living on septic
-strong conservative beliefs as well as religious
-lake effect snow
-lack of competitive services such as cable, internet

Delightful surprises:

-much lower utility costs than I originally thought
-road construction gets finished quickly
-nice shopping
-good customer service

Could be a deal breaker/or is a deal breaker:

-Not fitting in due to opposite beliefs
-Lack of diverse or future job opportunities

Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Stuff you didn't think about... socal has LOTS of thrift stores with functional, cheap furnature. Here, er.... wish I'd brought the shelves we decided didn't need to go. Wish I'd brought the nice little couch too.

Bigger annoyances... (until I got used to it) 'Soon' is a word defined very differently here than in socal. Now I just shurg with I hear newbies complain. And earthquakes... at least ones that can unsettle your front door frame.

Delightful suprises. Neighbors. Neighbors who know you but keep out of your business. Meat without all the crap the markets sell meat with. I knew about the open space but didn't know it was going to be so wonderful.

Deal breakers. none. I'd never ever go back to socal.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybear14 View Post
I am in the same boat with the roads here in Seattle. They make no sense (to me at least, so far) so I have to google map everything. In Phoenix, it was a grid lay out, and every street went where it was supposed to (unless it hit a mountain). They have Streets that intersect Avenues and they all twist and turn and dead end... I'm getting it a little bit better now that I've been here for a week, but that has been the most difficult thing for me so far.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Before we moved to Indiana, I really wanted to move to the PNW. So if I ever get there, I have been forewarned about the roads. I grew up in the Detroit where the city was set up like a hub. City center and all the roads branch out from there in a sphere. If you ever got lost, you would eventually run into something you know. Even the burbs around Detroit have mostly a criss cross pattern so again, you eventually run into something you know.

But here, roads were added over time to just accommodate traffic so nothing was really planned out. Some roads go in complete circles and others change names several times even though you never left it. I bought a GPS after moving here but even then the GPS gets confused. LOL.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Stuff you didn't think about... socal has LOTS of thrift stores with functional, cheap furnature. Here, er.... wish I'd brought the shelves we decided didn't need to go. Wish I'd brought the nice little couch too.

Bigger annoyances... (until I got used to it) 'Soon' is a word defined very differently here than in socal. Now I just shurg with I hear newbies complain. And earthquakes... at least ones that can unsettle your front door frame.

Delightful suprises. Neighbors. Neighbors who know you but keep out of your business. Meat without all the crap the markets sell meat with. I knew about the open space but didn't know it was going to be so wonderful.

Deal breakers. none. I'd never ever go back to socal.
I heard about SoCal's thrift stores. I had to laugh about the soon quote. Are you saying their version of soon is slow as molasses? My friend moved to AL and she said they say soon a lot. She thinks quickly and they think a few months down the road. lol

Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I heard about SoCal's thrift stores. I had to laugh about the soon quote. Are you saying their version of soon is slow as molasses? My friend moved to AL and she said they say soon a lot. She thinks quickly and they think a few months down the road. lol
Yeah, thats about it. My family was out trying to work on my and my sil's house and I just smiled at the frustration.

I sure do miss my thrift shopping here. But here things get used up at home instead of going out to the goodwill for new ones.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
I'm a Goodwill junkie, are there none in Austin?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Lots of Thrift stores here in Indiana but the stuff is way over priced. We went to The Restore Store. Its a division of Habit for Humanity. They sell all sorts of house stuff like kitchen cabinets, sinks etc. Basically old outdated stuff people donated to get rid of it. I have no idea how they stay in business. They had gold counter tops for a 100 dollars. You can get new at Lowe's for 65. Its a good place if you are looking for something like old door knobs for an older home etc but that is about it from what I could see.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
If you move South, listen for the word, "directly". It sounds like they mean "soon" but it is much later...

I brought it with me to Nebraska.

I actually am highly entertained by the differences here. Yes, very Christian and conservative - but the teenagers all wear belts, say "yessir" and "no, ma'm", hold doors, offer to help people - even ones they don't know - with heavy boxes or bags. They sing the National Anthem with their hands over their hearts and their heads bare, and face the flag. There's no boom boxes late at night going by, and no rowdy teens out at all hours. The gunfire is just some kids hunting deer or turkey or grouse or geese - and before they come on your property to hunt, they always ask permission.
The first week here a teen was stopped in a nearby town at a red light, and his radio was loud enough to be heard by passerby. A woman walked over to his car and asked him to turn it down - and he apologised and did, immediately.

Oh, yeah, give me the conservative folks! They have no understanding why I listen to them and just smile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues