Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,220 times

Advertisements

I just want to pack up and leave town, but I do not want to leave my job . I currently work at a warehouse, but I have a Bachelor's in marketing , but for four years I haven't been able to find work in that field. I am currently staying with a friend of mine but cannot stay here much longer and they are expecting me to get my own place. I do not have savings to move out of town so I will have to get a place locally, which means I have to sign a year lease (I don't think I can afford the fees associated with the shorter leases) . I figure that during that year I can try to put away some money for a move out of state. The only problem with that is that I am getting impatient and wanting to move now. Plus, I am looking all over the country for jobs in my field so if I find something and need to move, then I can't because I would be stuck under a lease and probably would have to pay ridiculous fees to get out.

Well, what would you do? How do you "live for today" when you are looking so forward to moving in one year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,473 times
I'm having this same problem right now. I'm wanting to go from Ohio to Texas. I can't leave until September at the earliest due to a few reasons. I'm almost 34, single, and childless, and I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that I'm going to purposely not date for the next 9 months, because I don't want to meet someone to tie me down here.

The only thing I've really figured out so far is spend as much time researching and planning my move as possible. Get my life in order and get things done so I can go freely when the time comes. Do what I want to do in this city before I'm gone and don't have the ability to do it anymore.

Have you thought about getting a room at an extended stay hotel instead of an apartment? That way, if you get a job, you can go immediately and not have to ride out a lease. They usually run about $800 a month for a room with a kitchen and all utilities (electric, gas, water, cable, internet) included.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I'm having this same problem right now. I'm wanting to go from Ohio to Texas. I can't leave until September at the earliest due to a few reasons. I'm almost 34, single, and childless, and I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that I'm going to purposely not date for the next 9 months, because I don't want to meet someone to tie me down here.

The only thing I've really figured out so far is spend as much time researching and planning my move as possible. Get my life in order and get things done so I can go freely when the time comes. Do what I want to do in this city before I'm gone and don't have the ability to do it anymore.

Have you thought about getting a room at an extended stay hotel instead of an apartment? That way, if you get a job, you can go immediately and not have to ride out a lease. They usually run about $800 a month for a room with a kitchen and all utilities (electric, gas, water, cable, internet) included.
I feel you on the purposely not date thing. I was thinking about that too. Yes I have thought about getting an extended stay hotel room...$800 a month is kind of expensive but I will shop around. Or maybe I can rent a room with private entrance from someone. Those are harder to find.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,473 times
It's expensive, but when you think about having all of your utilities including cable and internet included, and you can come and go whenever you need to, it's a pretty good deal. I'm in Columbus, OH, and I'd guess that cost of living is the same here as it is in Indy. Before I bought my house, I lived in a one bedroom apartment, just basic with no basement or garage or anything, and paid $635 a month, plus electric/water/cable/internet was about $200 a month, and I was stuck in a one year lease. The extended stay would be cheaper than that, and more convenient if you need to move on a moment's notice.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

True. Btw, I think the cost of living is the same in columbus as Indy, you're right.

Thanks for the advice

By the way, I have found much cheaper apts than $635 here..of course they are not the best...

Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
Or maybe I can rent a room with private entrance from someone.
Renting a room in someone else's house is cheaper, and you don't have to sign a lease - so if you really want to be able to move quickly, I would consider it. Even without a private entrance, if it's a temporary move, you may find it's your best choice.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Renting a room in someone else's house is cheaper, and you don't have to sign a lease - so if you really want to be able to move quickly, I would consider it. Even without a private entrance, if it's a temporary move, you may find it's your best choice.
Yeah it might be. Im just worried about living with a stranger but hey people do it all the time ....

Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
This is what my husband did before we moved. I had to stay behind and he had to start the job asap but not much time to find a place. He also had to pay for our house and his new place so budget was a major factor. He rented a room off a guy for 300 a month. It worked out. I have to admit though, the guy was weird. Not like scary weird just kind of gross. If my husband had leftovers from a restaurant the guy would eat them. I am talking about finishing off a sandwich that my husband had bit into. ACK. There have been a lot of transplants move to our area that started at my husband's work. All married guys needing to relocate but can't move the family just yet. They all rent rooms from other people. I was kind of surprised how popular it is but in this economy, I guess it can really help someone out that might need some extra cash per month.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
You should be able to find a month to month lease, which would be mroe like a room-deal, but I know several month to month landlords where I live who rent full apartments. But if you can't find that, just leave when u need to leave and stop paying rent. U won't get ur deposit back, unless maybe u can find someone to take over ur lease, I see people doing that all the time on craigslist. Don't worry a year isn't long. Before you know it seasons will pass and you'll be caught off-gaurd when it's time to move.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
You should be able to find a month to month lease, which would be mroe like a room-deal, but I know several month to month landlords where I live who rent full apartments. But if you can't find that, just leave when u need to leave and stop paying rent. U won't get ur deposit back, unless maybe u can find someone to take over ur lease, I see people doing that all the time on craigslist. Don't worry a year isn't long. Before you know it seasons will pass and you'll be caught off-gaurd when it's time to move.
This is what i was thinking too. I couldnt just stop paying rent though. I think that would really hurt me in getting an apartment in the new location because it would go on my credit which is blemished already. A year is not long but im getting antsy and worry if i wait then i will never get to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues