Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 30,631 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am European(Slovenia) citizen, but I've been living in U.S. in last one year.

I decided to move back to Europe since I didn't want to stay in U.S. illegally. I have to destinations on my mind-London and Amsterdam. Since London was always a city of my dreams, I definitely want to give it a try. But I heard that cost of living there is just too high, and I would start working as a waitress in the beginning. What scares me is that I've heard I couldn't survive as a waitress in London. So I was wondering is that really the case? I am pretty realistic and I know that it would be very hard in the beginning and that I would leave far away from Downtown and that i would probably have enough of money to live very simple, but that's all I really need in the beginning.
Also, I like idea about Amsterdam, but I don't speak Duch and I don't know much about this city and the costs of living there. Anyone can give me some facts and experience about living in Amsterdam?

Dayana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We were in Amsterdam in December and it was fantastic. Most people spoke english, so the language was definately not an issue. It was not too expensive either.

London ; now, thats one expensive city. While it is a great city, the price tag is horrendous.

I personally would go with Amsterdam, but I dont know the cost of living there at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
I can only offer what I've READ about, as I haven't been to either...but, it seems like transportation would be an issue and Amsterdam is a walking city (or riding bicycles) and that would also bring down some expenses which is favorable. I've always wanted to live in Amsterdam...I LOVE the water and the weather...

I've also know London is a great place (from family and friends) but if it's too expensive, you might not really have a chance to enjoy it.

Good luck...please let us know what you decide. I feel confident more informed folks will help you with your decision!!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM

I totally agree with you when it comes to expenses. The only problem is, in London I would improve my English skills, and I like the spirit of it. I visited both of cities, they are completely different in almost any way.
I will let you know for sure

Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
There are a lot of nice places in Britain with a lower cost of living than London, but not so far away that you couldn't visit once in awhile. I would consider somewhere like Bristol or Brighton...they're obviously smaller cities but relatively vibrant & just a couple hours or so to London by train. London is a world class, amazing city but I would think extremely stressful to live on a small income. You would not be able to enjoy living there much if you were working all the time to survive.

I've only spent a short amount of time in Amsterdam & it wasn't my cup of tea but to be fair, I didn't see much beyond the touristy areas. Cost of living is also quite expensive, but probably pales in comparison to London. However, you can pick up plenty of English there as most Dutch are completely fluent.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 PM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I've only spent a short amount of time in Amsterdam & it wasn't my cup of tea but to be fair, I didn't see much beyond the touristy areas. Cost of living is also quite expensive, but probably pales in comparison to London. However, you can pick up plenty of English there as most Dutch are completely fluent.

I found this thread becaus like the original poster I to am considering London or Amsterdam for studing abroad.

Why didn't you like Amsterdam?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM

I also talked to few people who live in London, and most of them told me that it's not so expensive if you don't want luxury in your life at the beginning. Also, after 5 years of living there, you can apply for a citizenship.
What I heard about Amsterdam, that studying over there is pretty cheap for Europeans.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
I found this thread becaus like the original poster I to am considering London or Amsterdam for studing abroad.

Why didn't you like Amsterdam?
It attracts a lot of sleazy/obnoxious tourists - groups of guys on "lads' weekends" and such there just for the weed & hookers (it wasn't those aspects that bothered me, but the packs of boorish guys "on the ****" as they say). I am sure it's much better beyond the central city areas, but I found it all pretty offputting. Also the bicyclists seemed incredibly aggressive.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 AM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
It attracts a lot of sleazy/obnoxious tourists - groups of guys on "lads' weekends" and such there just for the weed & hookers (it wasn't those aspects that bothered me, but the packs of boorish guys "on the ****" as they say). I am sure it's much better beyond the central city areas, but I found it all pretty offputting. Also the bicyclists seemed incredibly aggressive.
Thanks! I've honestly never heard of this side of Amsterdam, and it's good to hear of what others won't talk about.

But

I do have another question: Are you saying that the number of tourist was more than the locals? Or are you saying that the actions of the tourist out weight the quality of the locals?

I ask because I hear the locals are really nice and friendly. So for you to base your decision and judgement in a negative light against an entire city and it's people, is a strong declaration.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm strongly considering one of these two cities to live in for the next 4-5 years and I'll need more from you than just "jerks" come every weekend? Now if the level of their actions is so intense that it makes the other 5 days of the week seem dim in comparison, then I need to hear about it. Because most reports list Amsterdam as have less crime and drug usage than the U.S and the UK.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Well guys, I will go to London 99%. I talked to many people since my dilemma started, and all of them who live/'ve lived in London say it is expensive, BUT, there is also a huge choice of less expensive places when it comes to food, clothes... I live in Miami so I need to pay the gas like crazy, and the food is freaking expensive because you have one chain of stores and Wall mart, and I heard that in London it's different, also all you need is to pay Tube monthly ticket and save money for the gas at least. Maybe it;s not good to compare Miami, because Miami is really expensive, BUT if I could "survive" here I could definitely survive in London, too.
What I heard about Amsterdam... It;s 99% positive stories, specially when it comes to education, cost of living... But, I just don't feel attracted to this city enough to try there first. But, even the fact they speak Duch, I heard that if you speak English well, you won't have any problems (which wouldn't be the case with France for example),
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues